Question about coconut oil? (form)

Caramela

I went to buy some coconut oil yesterday from my local herb and vitamin shop. The coconut oil they had was sold in a tub and it was solid white. I was expecting it to be a liquid and hopefully something I could add to my conditioner. Did I miss something? Is coconut oil supposed to be a solid or a liquid?

soulie

Coconut oil solidifies at a lower temperature than some of the other oils. You can put the tub in hot water and it will liquefy again. I didn't bother to liquefy my entire bottle; I just let some around the sides get liquid and poured it into small travel bottles. Now when I want to use it, I just run the small bottle under hot water for a minute so I can pour some out to mix in my conditioner. HTH

Naturelle

Coconut oil usually comes in solid form whether virgin, unrefined or refined etc....however melts relatively quickly @ 24C (not sure for farenheit)...if it's kept at room temp it should remain in it's liquid form...the moment it's sotred in a cool place it will go solid...

Don't be alarmed that's just the properties of coconut oil :yep:

Libra08

It's solid, but it melts if you rub it in your hands before applying to your hair. If you want to use it in your conditioner you can warm the desired amount in the microwave for a few seconds. It doesn't take much for it to melt at all.

Caramela

Thanks so much guys!! I didn't buy it because I thought it was supposed to be a liquid. Question, if I melt some to put into my conditioner will it solidify in the conditioner? My bathroom is kind of cold.

NikStarrr

Thanks so much guys!! I didn't buy it because I thought it was supposed to be a liquid. Question, if I melt some to put into my conditioner will it solidify in the conditioner? My bathroom is kind of cold.

More than likely it would. If you want some kind of oil to add to a conditioner, try EVOO--that's what I do. Or avocado oil.

soulie

I don't do premixing; I just add mine when I'm ready to apply it.

Whimsy

I don't premix either. Just add as you go. You'll love the results of coconut oil i'm sure. BUY IT ALREADY!!