Putting Together A Hair Care Package To Natural Sister In Another Country-suggestions?

danysedai

Hi, I'm relaxed and I have a sister in Cuba with natural hair. She had gorgeous hair but started texturizing it (I know, not natural anymore) even though I advised against it as hair products availability in Cuba is not consistent and there's lack of hair care products in general. She has recently cut her hair (see photos before and after) and is now committed to not texturizing. She still wants her natural hair in spite of not being widely accepted in Cuba, keratin treatments are all the rage and she texted me recently in tears because an old man yelled at her in the street telling her to get a keratin treatment. I know, people are ignorant.

I've been sending her some of my hair products but like to send her some tailored towards naturals but she has used those. I would need suggestions on what to get her (I'm in Canada but can buy her products online I guess). She follows a simple regimen and the package cannot he heavy.

In my local BSS store they sell Shea Moisture, Mizani and Keracare for natural hair, are they any good? They have other brands: Dak & lovely, Cream of Nature, Cantu,ORS the usual. I've seen Uncle Funky, Miss Jessie's and Mixed Chicks.

The first 2 photos are before, the third photo is now.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Los pelos 014.jpg
    Los pelos 014.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 122
  • 170820111952.jpg
    170820111952.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 116
  • 11227518_10207950766357103_5872764733853934722_n.jpg
    11227518_10207950766357103_5872764733853934722_n.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 119

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
@danysedai

Hey Lady!:hiya:

Do you have a Target there?

If so, you should more of a selection.
Karen's Body Beautiful, Alikay Naturals, Oyin Handmade, Curls, As I Am, Shea Moisture, Camille Rose, Jamaican Black Castor Oil, DevaCurl, Carol's Daughter etc..

What about Sally?

If you don't, SM should be fine. At your BS, you should look for As I Am etc...

danysedai

@danysedai

Hey Lady!:hiya:

Do you have a Target there?

If so, you should more of a selection.
Karen's Body Beautiful, Alikay Naturals, Oyin Handmade, Curls, As I Am, Shea Moisture, Camille Rose, Jamaican Black Castor Oil, DevaCurl, Carol's Daughter etc..

What about Sally?

If you don't, SM should be fine. At your BS, you should look for As I Am etc...
Target pulled out of Canada a few months ago and when they were here they did not carry those lines.

I checked the local BSS website and they carry Camille Rose and As I Am.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Target pulled out of Canada a few months ago and when they were here they did not carry those lines.

I checked the local BSS website and they carry Camille Rose and As I Am.

@danysedai

Sound like your local BSS might have some really good choices you can send her. They may have a few others I listed, since they have those.:yep:

Keep me posted on what you decide to get.

danysedai

@danysedai

Sound like your local BSS might have some really good choices you can send her. They may have a few others I listed, since they have those.:yep:

Keep me posted on what you decide to get.

Anything specific out of those brands?
I'm thinking a shampoo, conditioner or mask, oils and moisturizer. She has a head scarf and I will be sending her a satin pillow case.

BadtzMaru

The Camille Rose Almond Jai Twisting Butter is HG status for a lot of naturals I know, myself included. It's incredible!!

The As I Am Leave-In Conditioner is a staple for me as well. I usually air dry in twists with the AIA leave-in and then style/moisturize with with CR twisting butter. Both products last a while as a little goes a long way.

danysedai

The Camille Rose Almond Jai Twisting Butter is HG status for a lot of naturals I know, myself included. It's incredible!!

The As I Am Leave-In Conditioner is a staple for me as well. I usually air dry in twists with the AIA leave-in and then style/moisturize with with CR twisting butter. Both products last a while as a little goes a long way.
Thanks! wrote those down. I keep telling my sister that she can air dry in twists but she insists her hair is too short. Based on the third picture I posted, do you think she's right? I'm sure I've seen youtubers do twists with hair similar to my sister's length.

BadtzMaru

Thanks! wrote those down. I keep telling my sister that she can air dry in twists but she insists her hair is too short. Based on the third picture I posted, do you think she's right? I'm sure I've seen youtubers do twists with hair similar to my sister's length.

She most certainly can air dry in twists!! Her hair appears long enough that she can probably air dry in about 4-6 messy twists. Let her know that the twists don't have to be pretty, just throw them in until the hair is at the desired dryness, and then she can style however she wants afterward.

biznesswmn

Would it be worth it to order a curlkit (or similar) subscription for her to try a few diff products, see what she likes? Then u could send what works for her hair
Some BSS even have samples behind the counter. Ask and send her those along w whatever full size products you choose

Do u know how she plans to wear it? Wash n go products, bun or twist/braids products...all different for me

danysedai

Would it be worth it to order a curlkit (or similar) subscription for her to try a few diff products, see what she likes? Then u could send what works for her hair
Some BSS even have samples behind the counter. Ask and send her those along w whatever full size products you choose

Do u know how she plans to wear it? Wash n go products, bun or twist/braids products...all different for me
I'll have to see how much is a curlkit subscription here in Canada. Also, sending packages to Cuba is super expensive plus about 90% of the time they get stolen in Cuba by the postal workers and customs workers. I have a cousin who is here on a work visa and she goes to Cuba from time to time and she is kind enough to offer to take things with her. My mom and 2 sisters are there so I usually prioritize one on a given trip.

I found Camille Rose Almond Jai and the Curl Maker. They did not carry As I Am. I'll look for it online. My cousin is leaving tomorrow so I'm sending those 2 Camille Rose products, Keracare Natural TExtures Hair Milk and Mizani Curl Recharge. It was all very $$$ here in Canada. I'm sending her perm rods for the ends of her hair when she does twists out, a jar of coconut oil and a satin pillowcase.

Thanks for the suggestions!

snoop

I'm a fan of Giovanni shampoos and conditioners. The 50:50 and Smooth as Silk are both good depending on how much moisture you want -- shampoo and conditioners. I've found them at Fortinos (not sure if that is out in Alberta -- maybe Safeway?), or at Winners sometimes. Also well.ca has them. The Direct Leave in conditioner is good if diluted in a spray bottle as well. Used these for the past 2 or 3 years.

danysedai

Thanks ladies! It's hard for her to have her natural hair in Cuba, she gets make fun of, people yell things at her and assume things about her (that her hair is dirty, uncombed, etc). Most women with natural hair keep their hair in a twa or in braids. Because my sister's hair is in an afro she gets all these ignorant comments. She's also dark skinned and the "light skin, good hair mentality" is very alive and well in Cuba. She's very sassy and claps back but I know her and the comments sometimes get her down. So, I want her to have nice products so her hair looks its best. She's my little sister (33 lol but still my little sister until the day I die) and I adore her and find she's gorgeous and always tell her so.

I've seen Giovanni, Abba and Aubrey Organics at Winners and on grocery stores.

Thanks!

ilong

God's Own
I'll have to see how much is a curlkit subscription here in Canada. Also, sending packages to Cuba is super expensive plus about 90% of the time they get stolen in Cuba by the postal workers and customs workers. I have a cousin who is here on a work visa and she goes to Cuba from time to time and she is kind enough to offer to take things with her. My mom and 2 sisters are there so I usually prioritize one on a given trip.

I found Camille Rose Almond Jai and the Curl Maker. They did not carry As I Am. I'll look for it online. My cousin is leaving tomorrow so I'm sending those 2 Camille Rose products, Keracare Natural TExtures Hair Milk and Mizani Curl Recharge. It was all very $$$ here in Canada. I'm sending her perm rods for the ends of her hair when she does twists out, a jar of coconut oil and a satin pillowcase.

Thanks for the suggestions!
@danysedai - pick up 2 satin hair (sleep) bonnets for your sister and a package of plastic (shower) caps.

niknakmac

Your sister and her hair are gorgeous. Honestly I would send her Shea Moisture products because they are not too expensive so you can continue to send them to her. Also I don't really use much of anything else these days on my hair and DD's hair. Oh also the lottabody new line it has a setting cream that is great for naturals when she feels like switching it up.

It's funny your sending your sister in Cuba products and I'm sending my sister in Canada products (mainly because of price differences and I stock up when they are on sale.).

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
Hi, I'm relaxed and I have a sister in Cuba with natural hair. She had gorgeous hair but started texturizing it (I know, not natural anymore) even though I advised against it as hair products availability in Cuba is not consistent and there's lack of hair care products in general. She has recently cut her hair (see photos before and after) and is now committed to not texturizing. She still wants her natural hair in spite of not being widely accepted in Cuba, keratin treatments are all the rage and she texted me recently in tears because an old man yelled at her in the street telling her to get a keratin treatment. I know, people are ignorant.

I've been sending her some of my hair products but like to send her some tailored towards naturals but she has used those. I would need suggestions on what to get her (I'm in Canada but can buy her products online I guess). She follows a simple regimen and the package cannot he heavy.

In my local BSS store they sell Shea Moisture, Mizani and Keracare for natural hair, are they any good? They have other brands: Dak & lovely, Cream of Nature, Cantu,ORS the usual. I've seen Uncle Funky, Miss Jessie's and Mixed Chicks.

The first 2 photos are before, the third photo is now.

Thanks!

Wow! Your sister's hair reminds me of an advertisement for hair that I saw awhile back. People buy weaves to be able to try and spread their hair out like your sister's hair. When I saw that photo, my lil' jaw fell open. Both she and her hair are fabulous looking. The great thing is that if she had hair like that before, she can grow it back again, and probably longer with your help and knowledge.

Thirty (30) years old, you say? Her body looks like she's about 18. Can you ask her what she eats, for me, please? I bet if all the ladies in your family were gathered at your home in Cuba, sitting on the porch, I'd be staring at all that beauty as I walked by. There's a whole nest of beauties in your family!

I also wanted to add how generous and kind of you to think of your family and give each of them a turn, to receive a Care Box from you, from Canada.

I have a friend from Venezuela and her access to products is limited as well. There are some good suggestions in this thread.

I am going to assume that your sister gets a care box from you about 1 x (one time) a year. Would that be correct?

Going with this assumption, I would think that treatment products would be good as well. For example, Aphogee 2 minute Constructor and Aphogee Two step or Emergency (I'm an Aphogee Stan so I don't know the spelling of the other product). Aphogee products are priceless and invaluable when you have breakage. Sally's has trial size little bottles as well as packets that look like giant ketchup packages for one time use or trial. Those travel and fly light.

I would get her some shea butter to go along with that coconut oil you are sending her. I would think she can get olive oil and aloe vera. I might also send her some plastic sandwich bags for her to baggie up her hair and maybe 1 phoney pony tail or something to decorate her hair beautifully when she wears it up. Some people use hair sticks. I like to use knitted bun covers from the beauty supply.

These are kind of heavy, but you may want to include a small bottle of glycerin and castor oil so she can "doctor" up her products. Those two things might be easy to find in Cuba, maybe?

I work all over the world and my problem is usually access to products. No matter where I have lived, I can always find some kind of shampoo and conditioner. I can always doctor those up with some olive oil and honey and/or dilute them with water. It's the ancillary, treatment products, such as the Aphogee, shea butter and plastic sandwich bags (non-ziplock) that I have a hard time finding.

For those times that she wears her hair straight, the styling wax stick is great for laying down hairs and giving hair that sleek, "wig" perfect look. My favorite is the KeraCare styling was stick. A small jar of edge control is nice, too, for a picture perfect straight style. These are some of the things I would suggest.

She will be back to , and probably be beyond, her prior length and health in no time.

Last edited:

danysedai

Wow! Your sister's hair reminds me of an advertisement for hair that I saw awhile back. People buy weaves to be able to try and spread their hair out like your sister's hair. When I saw that photo, my lil' jaw fell open. Both she and her hair are fabulous looking. The great thing is that if she had hair like that before, she can grow it back again, and probably longer with your help and knowledge.

Thirty (30) years old, you say? Her body looks like she's about 18. Can you ask her what she eats, for me, please? I bet if all the ladies in your family were gathered at your home in Cuba, sitting on the porch, I'd be staring at all that beauty as I walked by. There's a whole nest of beauties in your family!

Thanks Chicoro!:blush2: I always tell her that, people pay to have hair like hers.

For her diet, she jokingly says (you k now how sisters can be! lol) that her "inspiration" are us, the other 2 sisters. We have gained weight, a lot, so she doesn't want to gain too. Women in our family have a tendency to be very skinny then gain weight, and her body type is a ruler, very straight, no waist indentation, so she would gain weight in her midsection, like us. So she works out every day, no matter what, and watches what she eats(not difficult to do in Cuba where food is scarce)

Yes, you would be correct, about once a year as besides my mom and 2 sisters, there's also my mother in law, sister in law and niece. We give them a monthly allowance in dollars and I send all of them clothes, shoes, spices, etc as monthly salaries in Cuba are on average between 15 and 20 dollars a month. I love your suggestions, especially about "doctoring" the products. She can get shampoo and conditioner and then doctor those with your suggestions. For next time, I'll get her shea butter, glycerin and castor oil. Believe or not, those are extremely hard to find in Cuba. Heck, soap and toilet paper are hard to find, so those and olive oil are luxuries. Aloe vera she could try to make her own from the aloe vera plant. I'll also add the Aphogee to my list, those I can find at my local BSS.

Here is her hair straightened before. She enjoyed seeing jaws drop at her office as they had no idea about shrinkage! They think black women hair does not grow at all.

Attachments

• DSC05594.JPG
    DSC05594.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 36

kanozas

se ven las caras pero nunca el corazón
Anything specific out of those brands?
I'm thinking a shampoo, conditioner or mask, oils and moisturizer. She has a head scarf and I will be sending her a satin pillow case.

Thinking about cost and shipping as well as maintenance, why not just get her the line of Cantu (shampoo, conditioner, leave-ins, stylers) and save. Some of the ones mentioned are pretty costly considering how far they have to travel to get to her. Can she access LHCF at all? She could even make her own products. What about aceite de sábila which she can extract herself. When you pull the leaf at the base, all this rich, orangish oil comes out. It's excellent for scalp and skin. She could use blended and strained sábila for roller sets. I've heard it's difficult to get products. Gosh, her hair was beautiful. Sorry she cut it. Can she get shea butter there at all? Experiment with leche de coco and the like? Tell her that keratin treatments can make your hair fall after a time...depends upon the product.

danysedai

Thinking about cost and shipping as well as maintenance, why not just get her the line of Cantu (shampoo, conditioner, leave-ins, stylers) and save. Some of the ones mentioned are pretty costly considering how far they have to travel to get to her. Can she access LHCF at all? She could even make her own products. What about aceite de sábila which she can extract herself. When you pull the leaf at the base, all this rich, orangish oil comes out. It's excellent for scalp and skin. She could use blended and strained sábila for roller sets. I've heard it's difficult to get products. Gosh, her hair was beautiful. Sorry she cut it. Can she get shea butter there at all? Experiment with leche de coco and the like? Tell her that keratin treatments can make your hair fall after a time...depends upon the product.

I send the products with my cousin, or with my sister's boyfriend, not in a package mailed to Cuba as they wouldn't get the products (corruption and theft is rampant in customs and mail service there) I saw the Cantu line at the BSS but didn't know if they were good (they were cheaper than the Camille Rose stuff I got her) so I will definitely look into those next time.
I'll search for videos on how to extract the aceite de sabila. Shea butter she cannot get I would have to send her some. Leche de coco she would have to make herself.

My sisters know about keratin treatments and they are not getting those, I've told them that the products they are getting in Cuba is most probably the stuff they cannot sell in the U.S, with high levels of formaldehyde probably. But it's all the rage in Cuba right now, there's even a salsa song about it! lol. A friend of mine visited Havana and got talked into getting one and lost a lot of hair, she had to cut it and start again. My sister was getting texturizers, that's why her hair started suffering, she's determined to leave it all natural now.

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
Thanks Chicoro!:blush2: I always tell her that, people pay to have hair like hers.

For her diet, she jokingly says (you k now how sisters can be! lol) that her "inspiration" are us, the other 2 sisters. We have gained weight, a lot, so she doesn't want to gain too. Women in our family have a tendency to be very skinny then gain weight, and her body type is a ruler, very straight, no waist indentation, so she would gain weight in her midsection, like us. So she works out every day, no matter what, and watches what she eats(not difficult to do in Cuba where food is scarce)

Yes, you would be correct, about once a year as besides my mom and 2 sisters, there's also my mother in law, sister in law and niece. We give them a monthly allowance in dollars and I send all of them clothes, shoes, spices, etc as monthly salaries in Cuba are on average between 15 and 20 dollars a month. I love your suggestions, especially about "doctoring" the products. She can get shampoo and conditioner and then doctor those with your suggestions. For next time, I'll get her shea butter, glycerin and castor oil. Believe or not, those are extremely hard to find in Cuba. Heck, soap and toilet paper are hard to find, so those and olive oil are luxuries. Aloe vera she could try to make her own from the aloe vera plant. I'll also add the Aphogee to my list, those I can find at my local BSS.

Here is her hair straightened before. She enjoyed seeing jaws drop at her office as they had no idea about shrinkage! They think black women hair does not grow at all.

I don't know how to quote or "re-show" a photo. But, based on that photo you posted of your sister with the lavender shirt, I believe that her hair can grow to the top of her behind. I guess people call that tailbone length.

If she listens to you, I would estimate that from her length today, to tailbone length, will take her about 2.5 to 3 years. Full, thick even, tail bone for her would mostly be in about 5 years.

@danysedai, I have become an instant and loyal fan of yours. Your generosity of Spirit, demonstrated by your support of your family in Cuba, is beautiful.

Blessings to you all.