Putting NOTHING in your hair after shampooing...

lovenharmony

ET / OT Bonafide Member
Has anyone tried this? Normally I would be vehemently against trying this, but I have experimented with this method of styling for the past couple of days and so far it seems to be working.

Last Sat I washed my hair with a Ph balanced shampoo (Roux Porosity Control) rinsed it out and my hair felt so moisturized that I didn't bother to condition my hair after. Once I got out of the shower, I allowed my hair to dry a little and started parting my hair to detangle, spraying with only water to give some slip. I used no leave in conditioner, nor did I seal with an oil and since then my hair does not feel dry, nor do I have an issue combing through my hair (although I do spritz it with water to keep it moisturized).

I always thought that only people with hair textures 1A through possibly 3A could get away with not putting anything in their hair after shampooing and not have a birds nest of tangles to deal with. My little experiment goes to show that it's more important to nurture your body from within for healthy, moisturized hair than to keep piling on a whole bunch of products on the outside :yep:

Pic of my hair dry, detangled and twisted with no product :grin:

190140_1803949011952_1036654805_32015807_5595518_n.jpg

200366_1803949291959_1036654805_32015809_393975_n.jpg

Just to clarify, it's best that you nurture your body from the inside first before I would even advise shampooing without conditioning afterwards when you have super curly natural hair.

Keep your body hydrated, excersice on a regular basis, cut down on the junk foods, eat more fresh veggies and organic foods, and take your vitamins so you and your hair will look and feel its best :yep:

I know Nonie doesn't put much on her hair. And after I shampoo my hairs moisturized and not tangled. I am sure I could get away with it. I am sure there are quite a few who could get away with this.

But for my styling purposes I would still add products because I want to wear certain types of styles. And I would still condition and/or oil to help it hold moisture better. Water on my hair during the week will kill any style I have.

I think its the ph balanced part that helps. i remember an interview with esperanza spalding where she said she just used shampoo as well. I do it sometimes when i'm too lazy to deep condition. I don't really see the difference between just putting on a leave in conditioner and deep conditioning, honestly. (at least for my hair)

I do that maybe once a month before I henna. I'll wear my hair with nothing in it for a day or two and it's fine
I think I can only do this because all the DCing I do keeps my hair super moisturized

My hair is pretty PH balanced, and I'm sure I could NEVER do this lol. I actually had a physical reaction when I read your title :lachen:

Shampoo is very drying to my hair..always has been. It's the main reason I never washed my hair often before my HHJ (don't judge me :look:).

Your hair does look great though..healthy and moisturized.

I think it could work for a while....longterm, I think there will be some problems.:yep:

I think i'll stick to conditioners and styling products. This just sounds like another bandwagon.:yep:

My hair feels awesome after shampooing with my CON. I loves my CON! But, I would never skip conditioner and/or a leave-in because they protect my hair from the elements. I like some coating from the wind and sun.

I used to do this when I wore synthetic braids. It's just that I like to have my hair feel more conditioned when it's 'on its own', so to speak.

I did this kinda once. I have a video on the results. I let it airdry with nothing. Then I used product to detangle and twist my hair. The results were I loss significantly less hair.

The thought of doing this makes me want to cry. Lol
my hair becomes velcroey if i let this happen no matter how moisturized and smooth it looks and feels after cleansing or conditioning.

If it continues to work for you then you just have to spend that much less money on hair products!

I do this except I use conditioner in the shower after the shampoo. After I rinse out the conditioner, I don't put anything in my hair. I've never really used leave-ins ever in my life. Maybe a couple times in college.

I can go with just shampoo for a while. For the rest of my life? No.

I also don't like leave-ins, they all make my hair sticky.

Just to clarify, it's best that you nurture your body from the inside first before I would even advise shampooing without conditioning afterwards when you have super curly natural hair.

Keep your body hydrated, excersice on a regular basis, cut down on the junk foods, eat more fresh veggies and organic foods, and take your vitamins so you and your hair will look and feel its best :yep:

I think oils and/or conditioners are extremely important for healthy hair...also Elle brought up a good point that products help act as a barrier from the harsh elements. But glad this is working for you, seems like a good regimen to minimize product buildup

I think back to my college roommate, all she ever did was shampoo her hair and put vaseline on it and put it into 2 braids. Her hair was BSL. In the morning she would put water on it and more vaseline and rebraid it. She had done that all of her life.

I say if you can work it, work it.

Back