Protein treatments

mizbizzyb

I've been reading where some use protein conditioners for their hair. What are the benefits? How often should it be done? And what are some brands?

Thanks!

Queenie

I use it once/wk while deep condtioning. Light proteins work for me. I use Dominican brands. There are some threads on peoples favorites.

Ion's Effective Care is a good one too. Once/month I use a stronger one.

ApHogee Treatment for Damaged hair is an excellent heavy protien treatment. I use it every 6 weeks and it works wonders :grin: . ORS Hair Mayo is another good Protein treatment. Not as strong as ApHogee. I use this once a week.

esoterica

karmelsassy said:
ApHogee Treatment for Damaged hair is an excellent heavy protien treatment. I use it every 6 weeks and it works wonders :grin: . ORS Hair Mayo is another good Protein treatment. Not as strong as ApHogee. I use this once a week.
i love aphogee.

mysweetevie said:
i like Dudley DRC. It's expensive, so i get it quaterly done along with my touch ups.

This is what I use as well..It is a very heavy protien to be used semi monthly or quarterly. It is a very good reconstructor. Stops breakage, shedding, etc. I highly reccomend it.

Serenity

asubeauty

I just bought aphogee treatment for damaged hair. Does anyone have any tips about how to use it???? I read on another thread that it can cause burns, and when it gets hard, it's possible to break your hair. It made me kind of scared to use it :look:

Thanks for the replies. I've always had a problem with these 2 terms-reconstructor and protein. Is it basically the same thing? Can someone please shed some light?

asubeauty said:
I just bought aphogee treatment for damaged hair. Does anyone have any tips about how to use it???? I read on another thread that it can cause burns, and when it gets hard, it's possible to break your hair. It made me kind of scared to use it :look:

I usually have my hairdresser put it in but this time I'm doing it myself. I've put enough money in her pocket:lol: . So any tips would be appreciated!!!!

baglady215

karmelsassy said:
I usually have my hairdresser put it in but this time I'm doing it myself. I've put enough money in her pocket:lol: . So any tips would be appreciated!!!!

I usually wash with a clarifying poo before I do an Aphoghee treatment. Apply the packet to towel dried hair and then I clip my hair up with a butterfly clip. Once you clip it, DO NOT move your hair. Sit under the dryer without a cap until your hair is dry and hard. Rinse under warm water until your hair softens up, and then follow with a VERY moisturizing conditioner. HTH!

beloved1

karmelsassy said:
Me too, I'm about to do one now! I'm noticing a little bit of breaking (any breakage is too much for me), and it's been well beyond 6 weeks since my last Aphoghee so that explains it.

FYI, Aphoghee (or any intensive protein treatments) purposefully makes your hair very strong and hard, so follow with a very deep moisturizing conditioner. I'm going to use ORS Replenishing Pak.

vikkisecret

Nubian Girl
My favs are Nexxus Emergencee for heavy protein, and Elasta QP Breakage Control Serum for light protein treatments.

The Emergencee I use every 4-6 weeks depending on the condition of my hair and the EQP Breakage Control Serum once a week before my deep conditioning treatment w/ heat for 30min. Discovery these products totally cut out my shedding and barely and breakage.;)

miracle

I do a protein treatment once a month to strengthen my hair. I use Tropical's Bano De Crema Milk's Protein Conditioner.

vikkisecret

Nubian Girl
miracle said:
I do a protein treatment once a month to strengthen my hair. I use Tropical's Bano De Crema Milk's Protein Conditioner.

I want to try that...How does it make you hair feel...I remember when MsKenesha recommended a while ago...

mizbizzyb

karmelsassy said:

Is ApHogee available at Sallys?

miracle

vikkisecret said:
I want to try that...How does it make you hair feel...I remember when MsKenesha recommended a while ago...

I really like this product and it leaves my hair feeling strong, but not hard & dry. I think it's a pretty good balance of protein and moisture.

vikkisecret

Nubian Girl
Thanks miracle for the mini- review...hehe. I will definantly be trying it when I make my 8 item pruchase of dominican hair products.

Where are your pics at?? Are you going to make a fotki album?

miracle

vikkisecret said:
Thanks miracle for the mini- review...hehe. I will definantly be trying it when I make my 8 item pruchase of dominican hair products.

Where are your pics at?? Are you going to make a fotki album?

You're welcome!!! I think you'll like it. For me, milk & silk proteins work much better than some of the stronger proteins. My hair really doesn't like the hard-core treatments like Aphogee. That was a big no-no for me. :nono: I must use a protein conditioner that also provides moisture. My top choices are: Tropical's Milk Protein, Lamaur Bone Marrow Treatment and Motions Silk Protein. I get great slip with those three, also.

Unfortunately, I don't have a working digtal camera anymore. :cry: :cry: As soon as I get one, and/or a scanner, I'm going to start a Fotki album.

aminata

I like motion's cpr. I stopped using it for awhile--but I'm using it every other week b/c my hair was back to shedding.

Mizani_Mrs

I always use Aphogee which ain't no joke!! it knocks out any breakage or shedding that I have. However i used it last week and i was upset because it sorta took the 'new relaxer' look out of my head....i never noticed this before..but oh well..at least i have no breakage.... :ohwell:

mizbizzyb

Mizani_Mrs said:
I always use Aphogee which ain't no joke!! it knocks out any breakage or shedding that I have. However i used it last week and i was upset because it sorta took the 'new relaxer' look out of my head....i never noticed this before..but oh well..at least i have no breakage.... :ohwell:

Of course after running around buying my son a car, I stopped by Sally's and picked up some ApHogee.....I will try it on my next wash within the next 2 days. Hopefully it'll stop my shedding, my beautician says I shed like the W's :(

hairmaster

asubeauty said:

I never heard of it burning but it is considered to be treated as a prescription like service to the cosmetologist. If left on the hair it will harden up and brake the hair in two. It should not be used to often do to the possiblity of build-up or coating the hair causing the hair to feel dry and brittle. test of the hair by a trained cosmetologist is recommened.

Last edited:

hairmaster

aminata said:
I like motion's cpr. I stopped using it for awhile--but I'm using it every other week b/c my hair was back to shedding.
:eek: OVERDOSE

Overdose of protien can cause breakage, is you hair feeling dry, hard and brittle. Moisterise it ...