Proper perming technique

Chrizz

Hi, I'm new and I've read a few posts saying that you should not pull the relaxer to the ends of your hair(I think the dumbest things done to hair thread) You guys have really saved my hair
So should you only relax the new growth because I thought that the rest of my hair would look unrelaxed? My hair is 4 or 5 in. past my shoulders but it should be alot healthier. Thanks in Advanc <font color="blue"> </font> e

offthechainliz

I know one of the reasons my hair is so thin is because of overlapping. I use to go to a very cheap hair dresser who use to run the relaxer through my whole hair.

which is a definite no.no.

HairFanatic01

You should never run the relaxer all the way through the ends. I have a wonderful hair-stylist and she tells me all the time how terrible that is for the hair. What happens if it is done consistently, is that part of the hair where the overlapping is occuring will become very weak and will start to break off. If this ever happensI recommend an immediate reconstructor.

PrincessM

Yup, I can't preach enough how bad running the relaxer through the whole length of the hair. It broke my hair off badly... don't do it

cary

[ QUOTE ]
Chrizz said:
So should you only relax the new growth because I thought that the rest of my hair would look unrelaxed?

[/ QUOTE ]

You are correct that you should relax only the new growth. The rest of your hair has been previously relaxed (i.e., permanently straightened). Thus, it should not look "unrelaxed." To apply relaxer to it again would overprocess and weaken it even further.

diamondlady

Welcome!!! You have entered a place where women are not catty or jealous but they are helpful, friendly, sweet and concerned. Hope you love it as much as I do.

time4me

My hair feels like STRAW! Do I cut off the damage

Hello Everyone! I unwittingly had my hair dresser switch relaxers and the result is stiff/wiry (a.k.a scarecrow) hair. I have about 7" in length. Would any of you recommend I cut my losses and start over or try to 'fix' the damage with deep conditioning, prayer, etc.
Thanks

time4me

Hello all! I'm a new member to this site and I appreciate any honest feedback any of you can share with me! Just recently, I unwittingly allowed my hairdresser to switch relaxers and as a result, my hair feels like sandpaper. I don't know if I should 'cut my losses' and lose my 7" length or try some alternative deep conditioning solutions to try to 'fix' the damage. I'm trying to convince myself that losing the length won't be a big deal but so far, I'm still not convinced... Do any of you think I should go in for the big chop????