Proof that Jesus existed and the bible is true

Honeyhips

Lovely
DISCLAIMER... I am not disputing the fact that Jesus and the bible are real. Through faith I know that he is. Please don't delete my thread or move it. I want a Christian perspective.

I thought I read on one of the many Christainity threads that some of you did research and read books that proved that Jesus and the bible were real. I also read on a different forum that even though there have been many translations of the bible, that it has not varied from the original. I was wondering if you had any information on that, or books. I want to start learning the history of the bible, adn go itno in depth studies of the chapters. (ok did that make sense?LOL).

pebbles

Absolutely! I posted this list of books once before, but let me post the list again here.

1.)John Free's- 'Archaeology and Bible History'
2.)Norman Geisler and Ronald Brooks- 'When Critics Ask'
3.)Sir Frederick Kenyon- 'The Bible and Archaeology'
4.)Ken Boa and Larry Moody-'I'm glad you asked'
5.)Josh McDowell-'Evidence that demands a verdict'
6.)Creation-'Remarkable Evidence of God's Design'

There are other good sources. I'll see if I can find them and post them for you.
Happy reading! :)

pebbles

Also wanted to add:

The Case for Christ: A Journalist's Personal Investigation of the Evidence for Jesus-Lee Strobel.

I don't know many sites on the internet that I can point you to. I've found some, but I would have to read the sites more carefully before I passed them on to anyone as a reference. :)

pebbles

Sure! Here are a couple of links:

http://members.aol.com/damonso/caseforjesus.html
http://www.christianorigins.com/case/
http://www.myfortress.org/historians.html

Please know that you will see many arguments presented why Jesus was not real and in fact never lived, by the secular world, and those who just will not believe in Him. That is normal. As Christians, we expect it. But if nothing you ever read convinces you either way, remember these two passages from the bible:

Upon hearing of our risen Lord, Thomas has doubt and doesn't believe what his own eyes have not seen:

"Now Thomas (called Didymus), one of the Twelve, was not with the disciples when Jesus came. So the other disciples told him, “We have seen the Lord!”

But he said to them, “Unless I see the nail marks in his hands and put my finger where the nails were, and put my hand into his side, I will not believe it.”
- John 20:24-25

Then the story continues, and Thomas gets what he wanted:

"A week later his disciples were in the house again, and Thomas was with them. Though the doors were locked, Jesus came and stood among them and said, “Peace be with you!” 27Then he said to Thomas, “Put your finger here; see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it into my side. Stop doubting and believe.”
Thomas said to him, “My Lord and my God!”
Then Jesus told him,“Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.” Jesus did many other miraculous signs in the presence of his disciples, which are not recorded in this book.
- John 20:26-30

Is it bad to want some proof that Christ existed? Absolutely not. But remember that Christianity is faith based. And you should be prepared for the fact that you might not find the irrefutably conclusive evidence you seek.

Many shall perish because they are of the mindset that seeing is believing, and until Jesus returns, (by which time it will be too late), they will continue to refuse to believe that Jesus lived, died for our sins, and is risen and seated at the right hand of the Father.

But I'm of a mind that the reverse is true: Believing is seeing. :)

HTH :rosebud:

ETA a link. :)

Last edited:

Honeyhips

Lovely
I am with you. I don't need anything but my faith to believe that he is real. but I just wanted to know what to believe when I hear stuff about the dead sea scrolls or they found part of something and etc...