Is there a TRUE Church?

Belle Du Jour

With SO many Christian denominations out there, does anyone think they have found a particular denomination that they believe is the TRUE church of our Lord Jesus Christ? I need to get back into my Bible again and read about the early days of the formation of the church and research about how the Church split.

Jesus stated that he was coming back for the church as His bride and with all the differences, what Church is that?

Enchantmt

Progress...not perfection
All the various denominations are man's doing, not God's. God sees us as one body. "Church" in the instance you quoted refers to believers, not a physical location or religious denomination. If you are a Christian, you and I are the church of God. Unfortunately, the church isnt as powerful and effective as it could and should be because of all the man made divisions.

seraphinelle

Just wanted to add that the one true church is that of the believers of Jesus Christ.

Doesn't matter what denomination. God knows what's in our hearts.

GodsPromises

The Credit Countess
seraphinelle said:
I don't have any. That's why I said HISTORICALLY, because there are documents to support that.

Can you post those document because I strongly disagree with that statement

seraphinelle

I didn't even learn this from the Church. It was in Latin Class, and my Roman history course. But the information is in many history books and I'm sure it's readily available on the internet.

If you have information to dispute that, that's fine.

I don't think I have the energy to defend the Catholic Church and my faith anymore.

Northern_Belle

LadyR said:
Can you post those document because I strongly disagree with that statement

What would you propose to be the first official organized Christian church if you disagree with that statement? Historical fact would be a consideration, would it not?

Belle Du Jour

seraphinelle said:
Historically, it is the Catholic Church. Since it was the Church that was set up by the 12 apostles.

I thought the Orthodox and Catholic church split so how can you claim the Cathoic church of today was the original church and not the Orthodox church?

Last edited:

Belle Du Jour

seraphinelle said:
I didn't even learn this from the Church. It was in Latin Class, and my Roman history course. But the information is in many history books and I'm sure it's readily available on the internet.

If you have information to dispute that, that's fine.

I don't think I have the energy to defend the Catholic Church and my faith anymore.

I don't think people are attacking the Catholic church. Everything a Christian believes should be based in the Word. I think as Christians, we are called to know our faith and be able to support our faith with the WORD, NOT by doctrine created by man. If you feel challenged by anything, do what I do: look it up. If I look something up and find the BIBLICAL proof to support what I believe, than I am OK.

Last edited:

alexstin

The true church has nothing to do with denominations, rituals or traditions. You can't find it by looking in the phone book.:) As someone said, if you've accepted Christ and are doing His will then you are apart of the true church.

Trini"T"

Both Seraphinelle and Enchantmt are right. Seraphinelle was first talking about the PHYSICAL church(you don't have to be saved to be a a part of it) while Enchantmt is talking about the TRUE chrurch (ALL born-again believers).

GodsPromises

The Credit Countess
Bella_Ballerina said:
What would you propose to be the first official organized Christian church if you disagree with that statement? Historical fact would be a consideration, would it not?

I wasn't disagreeing with the Catholic Church being the first OFFICIAL organized Christian church, what I was disagreeing with was the following statement (bolded)

"Historically, it is the Catholic Church. Since it was the Church that was set up by the 12 apostles." I do not believe and have read other wise that the Catholic Church was created by the Romans after the 12 apostles died. After the apostles were gone Christianity was not orangized so the Rromans tried to put some oranization to Christianity which is how the Roman Catholic Church was formed.

BlkHoneyLuv2U

LadyR, I agree with what you have posted. On to the Op's question, if you want to know about the history of the church, read the book of Acts. The foundation of the church was laid in that book beginning with the outpouring of the Holy Ghost on the day of Pentecost, in chapter 1 continuing through chapter 2 when Peter stood and preached his sermon.

LadyR said:
I wasn't disagreeing with the Catholic Church being the first OFFICIAL organized Christian church, what I was disagreeing with was the following statement (bolded)

"Historically, it is the Catholic Church. Since it was the Church that was set up by the 12 apostles." I do not believe and have read other wise that the Catholic Church was created by the Romans after the 12 apostles died. After the apostles were gone Christianity was not orangized so the Rromans tried to put some oranization to Christianity which is how the Roman Catholic Church was formed.

pet

I agree what Classimami said, that if you follow the word of God, and your church denomination followed the Word of God, and everything that is believed in that denomination is backed up with the Bible, then that is the true church. I strongly believe that the Seventh-Day Adventist denomination is the true church, because the beliefs are based on the Bible and nothing else. Many other denominations have their own Bibles that they follow which is tailored to their religion.

Another poster said that if God knows your heart, then it shouldn't matter. Well, the Bible did say that if you didn't know something, God will not hold it against you, he will "wink" at your ignorance, but the Bible also said that if you know the truth, and you continue to do the wrong thing, it wll be held against you.

If any of you have not heard of the Seventh-Day Adventist religion, we are a denomination where our Sabbaths are from sunset Friday to sunset Saturday (the Bible says that the evening and morning were the first day). We believe that Saturday is the Seventh Day even though most other denominatios claim that it is Sunday. If you look back into history, the Catholic Church took responsibility for the "change" in the Sabbath Day, and claimed that they changed the Sabbath Day for their denomination, but mostly all other denominations followed.

I'm not here to say that only this denomination will be in heaven, for the bible says that many denominations will be in heaven, and that some people followed the Bible to the best of their knowledge. But I want to encourage everyone to not take what the preacher says for granted. Look it up for yourself....search the word. There are many people in the world that just go to church just to go, and believe everything that they hear. If you didn't search the word for yourself you could be believing the wrong things.