Product No-No???

Penelope74

Hey Family,
I am trying to combine a list of PRODUCTS that are bad for your hair. I’m new to this Hair Journey thing so I carry my little journal with me when I go product shopping. I just added another thing to my list thanks to Wenbev Sulfate & paraben.
Ok ladies,, what else should I stay away from as an ingredient to my product? What about Mineral Oil, baby oil, Petroleum Jelly?

LdyKamz

I think you really have to try things for yourself to see what works for you. Lots of people hate products with mineral oil but some use the same products with no problems. Others stay away from sulfates but I use poos with sulfates and my hair is fine so far.

May I suggest the book "The Science of Black Hair". It is an amazing resourceful book for those just starting out on their hair journey.

faithVA

I agree with the above poster. We can give you a list then after trying it for 6 months you can come back and say your hair loves the very things we say stay away from.

I would suggest looking at what you are using now and see how your hair feels after each step. If your hair has a issue with a product then look at the ingredients to start to notice what things your hair has a reaction to.

But to answer your questions here are a few things some people stay away from
--dimethicone
--mineral oil
--petroleum
--sulfates
--parabens
--waxes

Some stay away from all cones (ingredient name ends with -"cone").

Some people have issues with
wax
aloe
glycerin
carbomer
certain proteins

The issue with the list is depending on how something is formulated your hair can hate an ingredient in one product but love it in another.

Just start to pay attention and change your products out 1 by 1.

londonfog

I too agree with the previous posters!! I'm looking for somebody's college student or women's shelter now to get rid of products that I bought based off of some one else's experience of the "do's & don'ts" of hair products here on LHCF. It definitely is great for you to do your research though because knowledge is power but people's hair & scalp may react differently with different products. My mom's hair grows like weeds & she greases her scalp faithfully. My scalps gets itchy with grease but I didn't know this was the cause until I did my research & switched to using olive oil. Some people use a light oil to seal with while others swear by petroleum jelly. I think that several of my products might have some "don'ts" in them but my hair has never ever every been this healthy since I've found some staple products. Every now & then tweaking needs to be done to either products or regimen but if you know what products do & don't work for your own hair through trial & error, then tweaking would be easy. :grin::grin:

Good luck & Happy Hair Growing!!

BTW I'm in Illinois as well!!!

snookes

I think you really have to try things for yourself to see what works for you. Lots of people hate products with mineral oil but some use the same products with no problems. Others stay away from sulfates but I use poos with sulfates and my hair is fine so far.

May I suggest the book "The Science of Black Hair". It is an amazing resourceful book for those just starting out on their hair journey.
That book is awesome