Product for Non-Reversion on Natural Straightened Hair!

inthepink

HI everyone,

I just wanted to let you all know of a product that I recently tried that has worked wonderfully in keeping my natural hair from reverting! I wear my hair straight 95% of the time by mostly rollersetting and flatironing my roots or by maxigliding. However, even though the length of my hair stays straight, I always end up with some sort of wavy roots by Day 2. It drives me nuts!

I finally found a product that prevents this! It is by Kenra and is called Thermal Styling Spray. It does contain alcohol which scared me away at first but I believe I can combat the dryness of the alcohol with my other moisturizing techniques.

I used the product by spraying it on my roots section by section...allowing it to dry. Then I proceeded to flatiron my roots. No reversion! You can also spray it directly before applying the flatiron but that causes sizzling which I hate. There is also a product in the Kenra Platinum line that is supposed to do the same thing and I think may also provide heat protection. Since I purchased the small $5.00 sample bottle, I will probably try the Platinum next time.

Good luck to those who try! This is a lifesaver for me! I hate flatironing my hair to end up with wavy roots a day later!

You don't say! I totally have a little sample bottle of this stuff at home in a drawer somewhere. The alcohol scared me too, so I never tried it. Hmmmm...

how do you use this along with heat protectant... I know it helps keep the hair straight but is it also a heat protectant???

cutiebe2 said:
how do you use this along with heat protectant... I know it helps keep the hair straight but is it also a heat protectant???

As I wrote in my post, the one I tried did not say anything about being a heat protectant. However, the platinum line has a similar product that is used in the same way for the same thing but also says "heat protectant." I will purchase this one next time.

I bought it at Trade Secrets. It's a Kenra product so wherever you can find Kenra, you should be able to find this product.

P.S. I did my hair (rollerset, flatiron roots) on Saturday afternoon. It's now Wednesday night and my hair is still straight with no wavy roots. I'm lovin' it! Also, my hair is not dry at all. I use Constant Care for Ends at night on my ends and a little all over. I also spray Elucence Shine Spray all over in the morning.

hairlove said:
P.S. I did my hair (rollerset, flatiron roots) on Saturday afternoon. It's now Wednesday night and my hair is still straight with no wavy roots. I'm lovin' it! Also, my hair is not dry at all. I use Constant Care for Ends at night on my ends and a little all over. I also spray Elucence Shine Spray all over in the morning.
Hello Hairlove! :wave: This is kind of OT but how are you applying your Constant Care for Ends all over your hair (besides the ends at night). I've been using this even before LHCF and I love it but I've never used it on the rest of my hair. :scratchch

hairlove said:
HI everyone,

I just wanted to let you all know of a product that I recently tried that has worked wonderfully in keeping my natural hair from reverting! I wear my hair straight 95% of the time by mostly rollersetting and flatironing my roots or by maxigliding. However, even though the length of my hair stays straight, I always end up with some sort of wavy roots by Day 2. It drives me nuts!

I finally found a product that prevents this! It is by Kenra and is called Thermal Styling Spray. It does contain alcohol which scared me away at first but I believe I can combat the dryness of the alcohol with my other moisturizing techniques.

I used the product by spraying it on my roots section by section...allowing it to dry. Then I proceeded to flatiron my roots. No reversion! You can also spray it directly before applying the flatiron but that causes sizzling which I hate. There is also a product in the Kenra Platinum line that is supposed to do the same thing and I think may also provide heat protection. Since I purchased the small $5.00 sample bottle, I will probably try the Platinum next time.

Good luck to those who try! This is a lifesaver for me! I hate flatironing my hair to end up with wavy roots a day later!

I'm impressed by your hair and I want to try your straightening method; please Hairlove I want to know all about your regimen :
  • what products do you use to moisturize when you straighten your hair what products do you use before rollersetting?
  • what products do you use for poo per poo and deep conditionning?...and more

hairlove said:
HI everyone,

Thanks for posting. This is exactly how Im doing my hair these days; roller set and flat iron my roots.

soun - Thank you for your compliments. I will try to be brief in how I do my hair.

1. I protein condition it with ORS Hair Mayo at least every 2 weeks by putting it on dry hair and adding a hot towel and a plastic cap for about 15 minutes. (This also helps my hair revert faster than streaming water.)
2. I sometimes clarify and if not, I'll shampoo twice. (Right now, I'm using Kenra Color Care Shampoo.)
3. I condition and detangle my hair. Let it sit while I finish my shower.
4. Rinse out COMPLETELY.
5. Spray my hair with Kenra Leave-In. Then add Kenra Serum (which is really not a serum.) Then I add a real silicone serum (like Keracare).
6. I comb my hair through to prepare for rollersetting.

What I've found with rollersetting is that it does not matter a whole lot HOW you do it as long as you get your hair rolled.

1. I roll each section but first add a little oil to the ends. I usually end up with about 16 rollers. (I use the green mesh rollersfrom Sally's with Diane pins)
2. I put a holey cotton scarf (what are those called??) to hold the rollers in place.
3. I sit under my Ion Bonnet Dryer (the spacesuit one) for 1.5 hours.
4. Take the rollers out and wrap my hair adding saran wrap for hold. Sit back under the dryer for 10-15 minutes.
5. Take hair down and flatiron roots by section with Sedu iron. (I would spray the Thermal Styling Spray on my roots during this step.)

Nightly
1. Roll my hair with Mesh rollers - only 5 (two on back middle, two on sides/back, and one on top). OR I just pin it up to hold the curls. As I roll, I add a little Constant Care for Ends on the ends, of course.
2. Finger comb in the morning.

That's it!

hairlove said:
soun - Thank you for your compliments. I will try to be brief in how I do my hair.

1. I protein condition it with ORS Hair Mayo at least every 2 weeks by putting it on dry hair and adding a hot towel and a plastic cap for about 15 minutes. (This also helps my hair revert faster than streaming water.)
2. I sometimes clarify and if not, I'll shampoo twice. (Right now, I'm using Kenra Color Care Shampoo.)
3. I condition and detangle my hair. Let it sit while I finish my shower.
4. Rinse out COMPLETELY.
5. Spray my hair with Kenra Leave-In. Then add Kenra Serum (which is really not a serum.) Then I add a real silicone serum (like Keracare).
6. I comb my hair through to prepare for rollersetting.

What I've found with rollersetting is that it does not matter a whole lot HOW you do it as long as you get your hair rolled.

1. I roll each section but first add a little oil to the ends. I usually end up with about 16 rollers. (I use the green mesh rollersfrom Sally's with Diane pins)
2. I put a holey cotton scarf (what are those called??) to hold the rollers in place.
3. I sit under my Ion Bonnet Dryer (the spacesuit one) for 1.5 hours.
4. Take the rollers out and wrap my hair adding saran wrap for hold. Sit back under the dryer for 10-15 minutes.
5. Take hair down and flatiron roots by section with Sedu iron. (I would spray the Thermal Styling Spray on my roots during this step.)

Nightly
1. Roll my hair with Mesh rollers - only 5 (two on back middle, two on sides/back, and one on top). OR I just pin it up to hold the curls. As I roll, I add a little Constant Care for Ends on the ends, of course.
2. Finger comb in the morning.

That's it!

:) Thank You Hair love ...taking notes....!

hairlove said:
I just take a tiny bit and dissolve it in my hands and run it all over my hair. :)
It sounds so simple, yet I haven't tried Constant Care for Ends on all of my hair until just now. Thank you Hairlove. ;)

Back