Problems with dry hair with the shake n go

soslychic

I've only tried the shake n go twice on my natural hair and I like the look , but I had problems with dryness. It seems like I need to section my hair in some way and then let it out (like with a twist out or braid out) for my hair not to be dry.

It could be about products or technique. What products do you naturals/texterized ladies use for your shake n go's that leave your hair moisturized?

Last edited:

Divine Inspiration

To set it, I'll use Giovanni Direct Leave-In, jojoba oil, and Giovanni Shine of the Times serum (or NTM Healing Shine Serum).
At night I'll use a moisture mix of distilled water, jojoba oil, and conditioner (DDTA, AO Honeysuckle Rose, NTM DDC etc) and the next morning it's super soft and stays that way all day.
HTH
{DI}

HoneyDew

are you talking about the shake n' go half wig or the weft hair or am I way off all together?

soslychic

HoneyDew said:
are you talking about the shake n' go half wig or the weft hair or am I way off all together?

No I'm referring to a hair styling method of applying products of choice right after washing and then shaking your hair (while you're still in the shower) to separate and define the curls.

Divine Inspiration

No worries, chica! You can also do a search for the threads on curly pudding & shingling...some ladies have had success with that. There are other tried and true wash & go methods on the board too...I'd do a search for wash & go and see what returns...
HTH
{DI}

OnceUponAtime

Is your hair dry always or just after shake & go? I ask, because when I have trouble with a style, I will clarify my hair and then the styles are improved.

My shake and go is best when I apply my leave in conditioner on soaking wet hair. Then I squeeze out the excess water. After, I add a bit more conditioner, Surge Woojee cream and sometimes an oil.

Here is from a year ago. I have very dry hair, but frequent CO washes and ACV rinses really helped.

soslychic

My hair has a tendency to be dry anyway and it's color treated but it comes out much less dry when I put on a moisturizer and then section it off in 2 strand twists or cornrows or something and allow it to dry that way than if I apply the same products but just let it dry in the open. Does that make sense? I wonder why this is....

Ebony

no other product compares to scurl for my moisture year round. my hair hates grease really so the scurl is perfect. it moisturizes without any greasy or oily feel & dries the same way. i've ALWAYS left my conditioner in my hair after washing never knowing there was a name for it until hair boards. my hair is soaked with water & conditioner & sometimes i'll spray scurl on directly after & wrap my hair with a towel so that it penetrates for better curl definition, or, i'll start using scurl 1-2 days later after the co leave-in & as needed after that. if i'm out of scurl, i'll use world of curls. i have pics i think in my Dec.2004 curly pics album.

HoneyDew

soslychic said:
No I'm referring to a hair styling method of applying products of choice right after washing and then shaking your hair (while you're still in the shower) to separate and define the curls.

that's what it's called. I am relaxed, but I have done that but did not know that was the name of it. :look: