Problems Roller Setting

A

AmilLion

Anyone's having problems roller setting their hair while wet?

Well here's my how-to if you care to read.

Saturate hair with leave-in conditioner or setting lotion. Part the hair in three sections. From the hair line to the nape of your neck (think how the Dominicans part).

You want to make a 1.5" section in the front as if your combing a bang. You want to comb the hair towards the back at an 180 degree angle so that you can keep the roots straight and roll taunt towards your scalp. Insert the clips onto the hair thats extending from roots.

Now for the rest of your hair. You want to part hair going back in about 1.5-2.0" sections. Comb this hair from the roots straight up but at an angle going towards 12'oclock and proceed to roll. Roll all hair in that row straight (down the middle or center of your head) back.

Now for the sides. Comb the sides straight down, starting with your left or right side, make a part from one of the rollers uptop down to your ear. Comb the hair closet to your hairline forward, the hair behind it you want to roll that hair.

This hair, you will roll at an angle. If your on the right side of your hair, kind of roll at an 200 degree angle. In this section, you should have no more than 3 rollers, 4 max.

The hair closet to the hair line you want to roll straight down. You should use 2 rollers for this, no more than 3 to obtain bouncy hair. If you have a short hairline and find that you cannot put strays onto roller, use a smaller size roller and roll forward. Repeat this process on opposite side.

Once you've complete this procedure tie a net scarf to keep rollers in place and to avoid any from dropping. YOu can either sit under your hood dryer or air dry.

*Please note, the rollers does not have to fell tight to your scalp, as it is the technique and art of rolling that will allow for bouncy straight hair.

I really hope this helps.

P.S. I use Grey size Rollers.

Tonya

That is a very informative post!!! If I could only get my pins to hold my rollers tight!!! I am gonna try it again soon. Thanks again! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

A

AmilLion

That's the thing, at first I thought the rollers had to be in your hair really tight, but it doesn't. I find rolling at an angle the roller itself will keep the hair down at the roots for some strange reason. So if I do have a crinkle, its very minimal and usually straightens out by wrapping my hair and tieing down with silk/satin scarf.

kasey

When you get a free moment would you mind posting pictures of the different sections of your hair while it is in the rollers? I have never rollerset my hair and would like to try it soon. Thanks. Also, you said that you use the grey (6 inch?) rollers, on average, how long is your hair? This question is so that I can get a general idea of what size rollers to buy for myself. Thanks.

sweetcocoa

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
That's the thing, at first I thought the rollers had to be in your hair really tight, but it doesn't. I find rolling at an angle the roller itself will keep the hair down at the roots for some strange reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never really thought about this until you posted this...but I have noticed this and it makes sense. I don't roll all my rollers at an angle...but I will the next time I roll... Thanks for the tip. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

A

AmilLion

uhmmm, I hope I can draw it out for your and scan it. But kind of image preparing your hair to make in three large cornrows going back. You want to prep the hair the same way.

Good luck to you sweetcocoa.

Once again thanks Amillion for these instructions. I NEED them so bad right now !!!

Stupid question here /images/graemlins/confused.gif, when you say roll the rollars at an angle do you mean like for instance the first rollar at the front is pulled forward, almost so you could see it if you looked up at it? Is that what you mean? Then you just roll down at that angle and secure. And the same with the rest behind it, roll forward pulling taught and roll down so each section of hair is combed up and forward toward the face and the rollar place on the tips and rolled down... Correct?

I hope this question makes sense.

I can't wait to try your rollar setting instructions! they should be kept somewhere on this board! Archived!!! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

A

AmilLion

You don't necessarily have to comb the hair until you see it. Imagine combing your hair straight up, but just pushing a little forward. Just a little. Kind of like a slant. that makes sense?

Dandy112

Hey Everyone,

I am new to the board but wanted to thank AmilLion for these great instructions on roller setting. I have been attempting to roller set my own hair for the past month and I was not very successful but I followed these instructions and I was able to roller set my whole head! Thank you! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
Thank you!
This really helped me a lot. I haven't tried a roller set in AGES. But I plan to once my hair is back to being one texture.

soslychic

You may have already answered this, but since I'm new to this roller setting I may have taken it as something else, but after initially parting the hair into 3 sections, how thick do the rest of the partings going back on each section need to be? They need to be pretty thick right because if you're using huge rollers, how many can even fit on your head without running into each other and not making it to the scalp because its' too "crowded". I hope this make sense. Lol.

Kamilla16

Okay Amilion I am so lost!!

When you say 3 parts do you mean parting from hairline to nape 3 times? So I should have 3 lines going back in my head?

Okay so all the hair in the 2 side sections should be rolled down?

So all the hair in the middle is rolled back except for the bang section?

tippy75

Amillion,
I noticed that you are natural. Does this method normally get your hair really straight? I am natural also and everytime i attempt a roller set it comes out busy and very nappy at the roots. Also my comb out is normally hell. What type of products do you use? My hair has normally started to dry while I am trying to detangle.

sweetcocoa

You might want to check out the thread 'Thanks Allandra'...a successful rollerset starts out with wet hair...if you hair starts to dry as you are rolling you will get frizz. I don't even towel dry...I start with a towel around my shoulders because my hair is dripping all over the place.....it doesn't get a chance to dry out. I also don't comb out(I spray on my leave-in) , but comb as I part and roll each section(the parts do not need to be straight)....does that make sense?

Lovly

This was very informative.
But one thing I did not get.
I know how to do the sides and the back.
"You want to make a 1.5" section in the front as if your combing a bang."
Here I was not sure how to do the front.
I got the sides and the back straight.
Sides down.
Side back 200 degree angle.
Middle 180 degree angle.
But I did not get how to do the front.
Maybe I missed something.
It would be nice if you could explain.
Thank you.

sweetcocoa

I think she(AmilLion) was saying to roll the front and top back towards the crown.....correct me if I'm wrong.

Chichi

Thanks for all the tips Amillion! So the less curlers the more bounce? I didn't know this... I use a lot of rollers and get bounce but would like more.

Also, does anyone think that washing 2x a week plus rollersetting two times a week would be harmful? I tried doing braidouts but my hair doesn't want to seem to hold curls (will try again when it grows out more). So for now, it is rollersetting... BTW, I have started to use end papers to protect those precious ends. I call it protective rollersetting

Chichi

Chaya

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for all the tips Amillion! So the less curlers the more bounce? I didn't know this... I use a lot of rollers and get bounce but would like more.

Also, does anyone think that washing 2x a week plus rollersetting two times a week would be harmful? I tried doing braidouts but my hair doesn't want to seem to hold curls (will try again when it grows out more). So for now, it is rollersetting... BTW, I have started to use end papers to protect those precious ends. I call it protective rollersetting &lt;img src="http://st1m.longhaircareforum.com/images/smilies/smile.gif" alt="" /&gt;

Chichi &lt;img src="http://st1m.longhaircareforum.com/images/smilies/bdance.gif" alt="" /&gt;

[/ QUOTE ]

Wondering the same thing /images/graemlins/perplexed.gifI rollerset and wash/deep condition my hair 2x/week. Do you think my hair may have harmful effects from this?