Press and Daily Moisture

How do you press and curl gals (or naturals that flat iron) moisturize your hair? Moisturizers are water based and that causes reversion doesn't it. I'm confused. I'm new to the press and curl world and I'm trying to train my hair to wear a press. I'm not sure where the moisturization part comes in. Since I have to press it, I don't want to do it too often. Oh yeah, another question. Girls that always wear a press. How often do you do it and how long does your hair stay straight? Thanks in advance.

Je Ne Sais Quoi

I flatiron and I try to not start with the moisture too soon because it's all over after that. I guess in my case it really doesn't matter anyway because my press only lasts about 4-7 days. I am surprised that a lot of women here can get their hair to last 2 or mor weeks. I don't see how they do it. My hair is horrendous after that 4-7 period.

Blackoutzangel05

Okay when I was natural, it was pre-LHCF, I was one that could keep my presses for 2 weeks, although I got my hair done weekly. (another reason that I know that getting it pressed every week doesn't harm your hair if you take care of it.) Now when I got home, I would grease my scalp and continue to do so every other day. My scalp would be so dry if I didn't do this. After I greased it I would give it a good brushing and then roll it. I rolled my hair every night and my hair didn't revert. Now if she just flat ironed it it wouldn't hold as straight, my roots would poof but I came to love the volume. If I got it pressed then flat ironed (she would curl with the flat iron) I would get a longer hold.

In the summer, I didn't wear presses because I do sweat in my head alot and it would be pointless. So I would wear another style or it would have to be done weekly, no excuses.

That has been my experiences. Right now I am transitioning again and rocking my 2nd rollerset since Feb. I am not sure how its going to last in this July heat but I am sure that I will be fine. I am going to blow out my roots, thanks to a great tutorial that I saw and work it from there. If it gets to be too much then I know that my buns are going to be cute because they always are on my straight hair.

Blackoutzangel05 said:
Okay when I was natural, it was pre-LHCF, I was one that could keep my presses for 2 weeks, although I got my hair done weekly. (another reason that I know that getting it pressed every week doesn't harm your hair if you take care of it.) Now when I got home, I would grease my scalp and continue to do so every other day. My scalp would be so dry if I didn't do this. After I greased it I would give it a good brushing and then roll it. I rolled my hair every night and my hair didn't revert. Now if she just flat ironed it it wouldn't hold as straight, my roots would poof but I came to love the volume. If I got it pressed then flat ironed (she would curl with the flat iron) I would get a longer hold.

In the summer, I didn't wear presses because I do sweat in my head alot and it would be pointless. So I would wear another style or it would have to be done weekly, no excuses.

That has been my experiences. Right now I am transitioning again and rocking my 2nd rollerset since Feb. I am not sure how its going to last in this July heat but I am sure that I will be fine. I am going to blow out my roots, thanks to a great tutorial that I saw and work it from there. If it gets to be too much then I know that my buns are going to be cute because they always are on my straight hair.
thanks to both of you for replying.

Blackout, so you didn't moisturize, basically. Or was your grease a moisturizer?

OnceUponAtime

I flat iron, but not regularly in the hotter/humid months. When I do, I make certain to apply intensive moisturizing techniques before hand, but not during. I do apply a light oil to the length of my hair daily until the next wash to lock in as much moisture as my hair has retained.

Right now, I'm on the Water Works 2007 Challenge, so a press is only an option on occasion.

In the hotter months, my press stays for a few days, depending on the weather. In the cooler months, I re-moisturize every seven to ten days. If I don't feel like fully re-wetting, I'll baggy my dry ends with a moisturizing conditioner and oil, then cover the baggy with a hair piece when going out or a scarf when home.

EMJazzy

Happily retired
I flatiron and have been moisturizing my pin curls every other day with Miss Jessie's BBC...it has not made my hair revert. When I use the BBC to pin curl it makes a tighter long lasting curl that I don't have to mess with for the rest of the week (pic in siggy)....when I don't use any product at all my pin curls are looser (and prettier IMO) but they don't last as long.

Just last night I experimented with HairVeda's Almond Glaze and Blended Beauty styling butter to make my pin curls...I just took out my hair pins and I achieved a similar result as in my siggy pic....so now I will be alternating both the Blended Beauty Styling Butter and Miss Jessies Baby Butter Cream as my every other day moisturizers. :yep:

OnceUponAtime said:
I flat iron, but not regularly in the hotter/humid months. When I do, I make certain to apply intensive moisturizing techniques before hand, but not during. I do apply a light oil to the length of my hair daily until the next wash to lock in as much moisture as my hair has retained.

Right now, I'm on the Water Works 2007 Challenge, so a press is only an option on occasion.

In the hotter months, my press stays for a few days, depending on the weather. In the cooler months, I re-moisturize every seven to ten days. If I don't feel like fully re-wetting, I'll baggy my dry ends with a moisturizing conditioner and oil, then cover the baggy with a hair piece when going out or a scarf when home.

So when you re-moisturize does your hair revert and what do you re-moisturize with? when you said fully re-wetting were you talking about moisturizing? that is a good idea to baggy your dry ends. I'm afraid my hair would end up balled up at the ends. I'll have to give it a try like the day before I'm going to wash.

Thanks for the help everyone.

pet

I moisturize before I press, and I put a dab (stressing dab) of moisturizer on my hair. After I press my hair with a good pressing creme, I put on another dab of ORS Olive Oil, and do this every couple of days. I do this at night, and I wrap my hair immediately afterward which keeps it straight and sleek. My press lasts until I wash my hair again. It's all about the amount that you put on the hair, if you put too much. your hair is bound to revert.

ichephren

could you post the ingredients for the baby buttercreme pretty please??
ETA: I might theorize that something like Sareca's red palm creme would work well since it's oil based with some moisturizers in it. A little probably wouldn't revert the hair.

PinkSkates

I press my hair and it will last 2 weeks. I use Aveda products; and their products are loaded with a lot of moisture. So I get a lot of moisture in my hair before I press it. And every 3-4 days I will add a tiny bit of Aveda's universal styling creme and seal with a little bit of extra virgin coconut oil and my hair stays straight. I also wrap my hair at night and sleep in my satin scarf. This really helps to keep my ends and edges smooth and flat.

Last edited:

stargazer613

After I press/flat iron my hair (which I normally do once a week or every two weeks, but I'm taking a little hiatus from heat right now), I put a little dab of jojoba oil on my ends or virgin coconut oil. Both are excellent for keeping my hair soft and moisturized.
I also have little samples of Qhemet's Olive & Honey Hydrate Balm and Curls Euphoria Elixir, both provide great shine and leave the hair very soft. I can't use water-based moisturizers on my straightened hair because the tiniest drop of water causes my hair to revert.

OnceUponAtime

ftballwidow said:
So when you re-moisturize does your hair revert and what do you re-moisturize with? when you said fully re-wetting were you talking about moisturizing? that is a good idea to baggy your dry ends. I'm afraid my hair would end up balled up at the ends. I'll have to give it a try like the day before I'm going to wash.

Thanks for the help everyone.

It reverts because when I re-wet/moisturize, I'm using water. With or without conditioner. This is why I don't do this in the hotter months or I stretch the time between re-wetting in the cooler months, so I don't worry about constant heat.

As a rule of thumb, I only use direct heat about twice a month in cool months, once a month or every other month when hot outside and not at all during humid weather. Heat styling and humidity :naughty: I like sporting my natural texture too, so the heat thing just helps me to have fewer days with the tangles when I feel I'm losing the battle. That's not often anymore.

When I baggy dry ends, I pull my hair into a ponytail first, braid it, then I'll use a small clip at the end to prevent the knotting and tangling. I also do varying methods of bagging by sometimes using wet fingertips to make my braid so that my hair isn't soaking wet, but still adds a little moisture and then sealing the whole braid with a heavy oil or hair grease (ends only with the hair grease!).