Pregnancy and MSM

mightycute912

I have been doing some research on pregnancy and taking MSM. I know that ultimately I should consult my doctor to find out if it would be ok to do so, but have any of you taken MSM during your pregnancy?:perplexed The benefits of MSM in generally are good, but I am a little curious to find out.

EMJazzy

Happily retired
I was under the impression that you are not suppose to take MSM if your expecting to become pregnant or if you are already pregnant or if you are breastfeeding. :confused:

Bumping for more replies....

InJesusName

I would tend to stay away from any supplements/medications other than those recommended by your OB/GYN. Since pregnancy is such a delicate condition, many substances have not been tested in humans so we don't know what will cross the placenta barrier to effect the fetus. Consult your practitioner but stay away from it until you get the OK from your medical provider.

Cooyah

Only thing you need during pregnancy is a good prenatal. Worry about everything else AFTER baby and breastfeeding are finished.

kbragg

Actually MSM is the 4th most prominant mineral in the body. You need it and your baby needs it! Always consult your physicial of course, but most doctors know nothing about nutrtition. Also consult with a nutritionist about the best nutrtitional program for you and the baby.

HTH :)

CAPlush

If I were you I would discuss with a midwife. Certain compounds that are beneficial for you when you're not pregnant could cause birth defects or other problems with your pregnancy (like too much vitamin A). With that said, I seriously doubt MSM could cause any problem, but from internet research it seems like the jury is still out. Maybe try one of those pregnancy or trying-to-conceive forums because I'm sure there's hundreds of women w/ arthritis who have wanted to take MSM during pregnancy.

XXXtacy

EMJazzy said:
I was under the impression that you are not suppose to take MSM if your expecting to become pregnant or if you are already pregnant or if you are breastfeeding. :confused:

Bumping for more replies....

Yeah, that is what I was told by herbalist and doctor.