Possibly silly question - can I get cornrows if I am relaxed?

Glib Gurl

Like, will it "take"? I am taking a trip towards the end of the month and I'd love to get my hair braided so I don't have to worry about it . . . I will be about 6 weeks post relaxer at that point . . . not much new growth at all. What do you think? Will my hair be too slippery or would cornrows work?

Thanks!

I think so. When I 'unknowingly' transitioned the first time, I was about 4 weeks post, and I had enough new growth to get cornrows. I think as long as you have at least an inch, you should be good.

HTH.

That's not a silly question!

Straight textures have "trouble" getting cornrows to "hold". Our straightened hair STILL has far more texture than their though. :lachen:

They'll hold. :yep:

However, some relaxed hair is too fragile to deal with all the manipultion of getting the braids, the tension involved, and their removal. Just something to ponder.

You can get cornrows no matter how far along after a relaxer you are. Even if you are freshly relaxed, you can get cornrows and they would stay (if they are done right)

Yes, you can get cornrows. 6 weeks is a good time frame.
I usually suggest avoiding getting cornrows immediately after a touch-up because the hair is a bit more fragile and the tension might contribute to damage. But 6 weeks will be fine.

I must remind you not to let the braider do them too tight. Your head should not hurt and you should not get instant bumps either.

Back