Positive Experience with a nice woman.

Ennyaa

Just wanted to share this with you guys. I've noticed a woman on my train for several months that has hair almost to her behind. At first I wasn't sure it was hers (typical thinking) But after being on this board fo a while I decided to just approach her and ask her if she used anything special on her hair. I was actually a little nervous because you know how we can be sometimes.

But anyway I went up to her as we were exiting the train station and said, "Excuse me but your hair is beautiful and I wondered if there was anything special you did to grow it so long." Well she was SO NICE and seemed SO HAPPY that I wanted to talk to her. She said she really doesn't do anything special other than wrap it every night and go to a "Spanish Lady" (her words) with a salon on I think it was 145th street uptown. She said that her hair had always been long but it was the same texture as mine and she got relaxers. She did say her grandfather was Cherokee but that her texture was not really different and she looked just like any other African American woman.

She told me that she'd been through so much with women insisting that her hair isn't real and trying to grab her hair and insisting she let them put their hands in her hair. I told her "Girl, don't let them people touch you!" and she laughed. She told me that people see her skin color and don't think she should have hair that long. She said it's stupid to think that black women can't grow their hair long and that all they'd have to do is go uptown and they'd see PLENTY of black women with really long hair. It's all a matter of caring for it.

Well I just wanted to share my nice experience with you. She didn't have any special tips to share but it was pleasant and inspirational to talk with her.

I am glad you had a positive experience. Sometimes I want to ask certain people, but I don't if I sense they aren't the friendly type. But I will and often do ask certain people I come across. what what there hair care routine, and I find most people are nice for the most part.

Yeah, it was really hard to read her at all. I mean I'd never seen her smile or talk to anyone on the train at all. But now I'm glad I took the chance. Hopefully if I see her again I'll get more specifics about her salon. Maybe I'll check it out even though it's kinda out of my way.

That's nice that she was willing to talk to you about hair. Some people won't do that. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Back