Poll: the bible

Which laws of the bible does your church follow?

• The Old and New Testament laws, commandments and teachings

Votes: 19 79.2%
  • Only New Testament laws, commandments and teachings

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Old Testament laws, commandments and teachings

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • other...please explain.

Votes: 2 8.3%

• Total voters

Caramela

How is the bible used at your church in terms of the old and new testaments? I know that my mother's church uses the laws of both the old and new testament, while my church uses the laws of the new testament for our laws and commandments... I know that different churches teach different things on the old and new testaments...
Once you vote, feel free to further explain :yep:

Caramela

We believe that the old testament has meaning and we can learn from it... but the laws in the old testament were written for the jews... the new testament is written for Christians.

divya

We believe that Bible - the Old and New Testament- are for our edification. Only the sacrificial/ceremonial laws were nailed to the cross but the moral law of the Old Testament stands.

When Christ was on earth, there was no New Testament. He lived by the Old Testament, as did those who God inspired to writing the New Testament.

From the New Testament, spoken by Jesus Christ...

Matthew 5: 17 - 19
Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfill. For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

So since Christ was the fulfillment of the law and instructs that we live by it, how can we say that we are not bound by it? We are supposed to follow His example. Also, if the Old Testament is so irrelevant, then why do so many of those same churches tithe or encourage tithing?

Caramela

In Hebrews 8:7 we read, "For if that the first covenant had been faultless then should no place have been sought for the second". Again in chapter 10:9 the writer adds that "He taketh away the first that he may establish the second." The first (or old covenant) was national rather than universal , that is, it was never made with all nations as is the second or New Testament under which we now live, but was a covenant between God and the children of Isreal (Jews).
It is true that Jesus didn't want to disrupt the law of moses that the people were following at that time... but the word testament comes from a greek word meaning a will or covenant... In order for a testament to go into effect the testator must die... after Christ's death we are under a new testament or better covenant with better laws (Hebrews 8-6) (Hebrews 9:15-17)

I'm not saying that the old testament is irrelevant, we learn a lot about God's power and examples of HIM in the old testament. But the laws we are intended to follow are in the new testament.

As far as tithing, a law given in the old testament, is concerned, the people of that time were mandated as far as what they were supposed to give back to God. Typically it concerned burnt offerings (which we of course no longer do today), but God mandated the people give back to him 10%. The only problem with telling someone how much the SHOULD give, is they may give it, but they probably aren't doing that with the right heart. We should give not out of necessity (1 Cor 16:1-2) but with a cheerful heart and we should give back a portion of what God has given to us (2 Cor 9:6-7)... but there is no set amount. Once we get our pay check each week, we must set aside (FIRST before bills, before we eat, before we buy for ourselves) a portion for God. It's sad, but often times, we take care of everything else first (bills, food, self) and give God the left over crumpled up lint covered $5 bill in our pocket.

divya

This is why it is extremely important to concentrate on all the verses around, as opposed to pulling out one verse. Context is so important when reading the Bible, or any book for that matter. Thank you for quoting Hebrews however, the chapter go into detail regarding the discarding of the sacrificial/ceremonial laws and why...

3For every high priest is ordained to offer gifts and sacrifices: wherefore it is of necessity that this man have somewhat also to offer.

4For if he were on earth, he should not be a priest, seeing that there are priests that offer gifts according to the law:

5Who serve unto the example and shadow of heavenly things, as Moses was admonished of God when he was about to make the tabernacle: for, See, saith he, that thou make all things according to the pattern shewed to thee in the mount.

6But now hath he obtained a more excellent ministry, by how much also he is the mediator of a better covenant, which was established upon better promises.

7For if that first covenant had been faultless, then should no place have been sought for the second.[/b]

It is clear from reading the surrounding verses that the Bible is talking about sacrificial laws here. We do not need sacrificial/ceremonial laws because under the new covenant, Jesus sacrificed himself for us. That's why the priests mentioned are no longer necessary, as well as the sacrifices made.

Read Hebrews 9 and it goes into further detail about the sanctuary.

Then verily the first covenant had also ordinances of divine service, and a worldly sanctuary.

2For there was a tabernacle made; the first, wherein was the candlestick, and the table, and the shewbread; which is called the sanctuary.

3And after the second veil, the tabernacle which is called the Holiest of all;

4Which had the golden censer, and the ark of the covenant overlaid round about with gold, wherein was the golden pot that had manna, and Aaron's rod that budded, and the tables of the covenant;

Now here it is crux...

But Christ being come an high priest of good things to come, by a greater and more perfect tabernacle, not made with hands, that is to say, not of this building;

12Neither by the blood of goats and calves, but by his own blood he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us.

13For if the blood of bulls and of goats, and the ashes of an heifer sprinkling the unclean, sanctifieth to the purifying of the flesh:

14How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?

15And for this cause he is the mediator of the new testament, that by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions that were under the first testament, they which are called might receive the promise of eternal inheritance.

Last edited:

divya

Hebrews 9: 9-15 that you are referring to deals strictly with sacrificial and ceremonial laws that were part of the first covenant and are not doing away with the entire Old Testament, particularly the moral law...

9Which was a figure for the time then present, in which were offered both gifts and sacrifices, that could not make him that did the service perfect, as pertaining to the conscience;

10Which stood only in meats and drinks, and divers washings, and carnal ordinances, imposed on them until the time of reformation.

11But Christ being come an high priest of good things to come, by a greater and more perfect tabernacle, not made with hands, that is to say, not of this building;

12Neither by the blood of goats and calves, but by his own blood he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us.

13For if the blood of bulls and of goats, and the ashes of an heifer sprinkling the unclean, sanctifieth to the purifying of the flesh:

14How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?

15And for this cause he is the mediator of the new testament, that by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions that were under the first testament, they which are called might receive the promise of eternal inheritance

Can you explain where this does away with the entire Old Testament as opposed to the sacrificial and ceremonial laws?

Last edited:

divya

As far as tithing, a law given in the old testament, is concerned, the people of that time were mandated as far as what they were supposed to give back to God. Typically it concerned burnt offerings (which we of course no longer do today), but God mandated the people give back to him 10%. The only problem with telling someone how much the SHOULD give, is they may give it, but they probably aren't doing that with the right heart. We should give not out of necessity (1 Cor 16:1-2) but with a cheerful heart and we should give back a portion of what God has given to us (2 Cor 9:6-7)... but there is no set amount. Once we get our pay check each week, we must set aside (FIRST before bills, before we eat, before we buy for ourselves) a portion for God. It's sad, but often times, we take care of everything else first (bills, food, self) and give God the left over crumpled up lint covered $5 bill in our pocket.

That's exactly my point. The New Testament is simply supporting that which was taught in the Old Testament. Which only lends support to the fact that only sacrificial/ceremonial laws of the Old Testament were nailed to the cross.

Further, the book of Romans deals extensively with the Law of God (moral law), helping us to understand it's purpose and necessity today...that the law is to be kept, not disregarded. That Law was never done away with.

If that was the case, Christ would not have said...

15If ye love me, keep my commandments.

16And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;

17Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

18I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.

19Yet a little while, and the world seeth me no more; but ye see me: because I live, ye shall live also.

20At that day ye shall know that I am in my Father, and ye in me, and I in you.

21He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.

Caramela

As you suggested, read one verse below ... Hebrews 9:15 and more importantly into 9:16 is explaining we are no longer under the OLD TESTAMENT ... and it reads For where a testament is, there must also be a the death of the testator. 17 For a testament is of force after men are dead : otherwise it is of no strength at all while the testator liveth
If we were made to follow the old testament's laws, then what was the purpose of Christ coming? See, under the old testament, we were sepearated from God by sin... we could not be saved under the old testament and again I bring your attention to Hebrews chapter 8 which tells us why the old covenant is not applicable to the Christian (in terms of laws)... I encourage everyone to read the whole chapter but I am not able to type the whole chapter at the moment (if someone can post the whole chapter that would be beneficial to all) ... But Hebrews 8:13 tells us In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away. The old testament was ready to vanish away but Christ had to die first... once he did, the old testament was no longer in effect and was replaced by a new covenant...

Caramela

That's exactly my point. The New Testament is simply supporting that which was taught in the Old Testament. Which only lends support to the fact that only sacrificial/ceremonial laws of the Old Testament were nailed to the cross.

Further, the book of Romans deals extensively with the Law of God (moral law), helping us to understand it's purpose and necessity today...that the law is to be kept, not disregarded. That Law was never done away with.

If that was the case, Christ would not have said...

The new testament doesn't support the old testament. The new testament replaces the new testament. If sacrificial and ceremonial laws of the old testament were nailed to the cross with Christ, that means they die and are no longer valid.
The ten commandments are no longer even in effect. However, similar moral laws are given to us in Romans as you mentioned in your post.

Our offerings in this time, should be free will offerings, not tithes. Tithes is a mandation of what you should give... offering is you giving according to that which you have been blessed and comes from a different place, your heart, versus you feeling you have to do it out of necessity.

divya

As you suggested, read one verse below ... Hebrews 9:15 and more importantly into 9:16 is explaining we are no longer under the OLD TESTAMENT ... and it reads For where a testament is, there must also be a the death of the testator. 17 For a testament is of force after men are dead : otherwise it is of no strength at all while the testator liveth
If we were made to follow the old testament's laws, then what was the purpose of Christ coming? See, under the old testament, we were sepearated from God by sin... we could not be saved under the old testament and again I bring your attention to Hebrews chapter 8 which tells us why the old covenant is not applicable to the Christian (in terms of laws)... I encourage everyone to read the whole chapter but I am not able to type the whole chapter at the moment (if someone can post the whole chapter that would be beneficial to all) ... But Hebrews 8:13 tells us In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away. The old testament was ready to vanish away but Christ had to die first... once he did, the old testament was no longer in effect and was replaced by a new covenant...

But here you only refer to one or two verses of the chapter without the context of the entire chapter? Doing so will put those verses in stark contradiction to numerous verses in the New Testament AND the Old Testament. When reading the entire chapter, it is clear that laws being discussed are sacrificial/ceremonial.

The death of the testator refers to Christ dying, it is His blood that does away with the sacrifices that were necessary in the Old Testament. The blood of goat and calves that were in the old covenant were not sufficient. Once again as well, the context of Hebrews 8 deals with sacrifices...

However, where does that invalidate the entire Old Testament? If it does so, why then does Christ state over and over than we must keep God's commandments if the entire Old Testament is not be followed? Why then does Christ even quote part of the Ten Commandments and tell us to follow them?
In fact, Hebrews itself quotes part of the Ten Commandments for us to follow.

Last edited:

Caramela

But here you only refer to one or two verses of the chapter without the context of the entire chapter? Doing so will put those verses in stark contradiction to numerous verses in the New Testament AND the Old Testament. When reading the entire chapter, it is clear that laws being discussed are sacrificial/ceremonial.

The death of the testator refers to Christ dying, it is His blood that does away with the sacrifices that were necessary in the Old Testament. The blood of goat and calves that were in the old covenant were not sufficient. Once again as well, the context of Hebrews 8 deals with sacrifices...

However, where does that invalidate the entire Old Testament? If it does so, why then does Christ state over and over than we must keep God's commandments if the entire Old Testament is not be followed? Why then does Christ even quote part of the Ten Commandments and tell us to follow them?

If you have the ablitity to post Hebrews Chapter 8, please do so... as I stated I think that will be beneficial to all... I unfortunately can't do it at the moment.
However, the chapter does refer to the old testament waxing away, and decaying... decaying doesn't signify it's something that is a living law of the day. (and yes, it does refer to the entire old testament)
Christ followed the law of that era while he was alive, however once he died, we were under the new testament.
Please read the entire chapter 8 Hebrews for better understanding.
The commandments given to us in Hebrews are stated for us to follow, but are restated. These are the laws we are supposed to carry in our hearts and apply them to our lives. The ten commandments given to Moses, were written on stone tablets, that he carried around showing the people. The law of God was not in there hearts...

divya

The new testament doesn't support the old testament. The new testament replaces the new testament. If sacrificial and ceremonial laws of the old testament were nailed to the cross with Christ, that means they die and are no longer valid.
The ten commandments are no longer even in effect. However, similar moral laws are given to us in Romans as you mentioned in your post.

Our offerings in this time, should be free will offerings, not tithes. Tithes is a mandation of what you should give... offering is you giving according to that which you have been blessed and comes from a different place, your heart, versus you feeling you have to do it out of necessity.

The same Ten Commandments that Jesus quotes from telling us to follow? The same Ten Commandments that is reinforced over and over in the New Testament that it tells us we had from the beginning and that we should follw?

Matthew 22: 37-40 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Matthew 15: 18-19
But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man. For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies:
This reflects the 10 Commandments...

Romans 13:9 For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Luke 4: 16 And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up: and, as his custom was, he went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and stood up for to read.
Luke 6:5And he said unto them, That the Son of man is Lord also of the sabbath.

Lastly and most importantly...

2 John 2:5-6 And now I beseech thee, lady, not as though I wrote a new commandment unto thee, but that which we had from the beginning, that we love one another. And this is love, that we walk after his commandments. This is the commandment, That, as ye have heard from the beginning, ye should walk in it.

Caramela

However, where does that invalidate the entire Old Testament? Hebrews 8:7,8,12,13If it does so, why then does Christ state over and over than we must keep God's commandments if the entire Old Testament is not be followed? Hebrews 9:16Why then does Christ even quote part of the Ten Commandments and tell us to follow them?Hebrews 8:10

divya

If you have the ablitity to post Hebrews Chapter 8, please do so... as I stated I think that will be beneficial to all... I unfortunately can't do it at the moment.
However, the chapter does refer to the old testament waxing away, and decaying... decaying doesn't signify it's something that is a living law of the day. (and yes, it does refer to the entire old testament)
Christ followed the law of that era while he was alive, however once he died, we were under the new testament.
Please read the entire chapter 8 Hebrews for better understanding.
The commandments given to us in Hebrews are stated for us to follow, but are restated. These are the laws we are supposed to carry in our hearts and apply them to our lives. The ten commandments given to Moses, were written on stone tablets, that he carried around showing the people. The law of God was not in there hearts...

The SAME law that God wrote in the Ten Commandments is the SAME law He writes in our hearts.

2 John 2:5-6 And now I beseech thee, lady, not as though I wrote a new commandment unto thee, but that which we had from the beginning, that we love one another. And this is love, that we walk after his commandments. This is the commandment, That, as ye have heard from the beginning, ye should walk in it.

That is exactly why Hebrews makes that statement, stating the Law of God is now written in our hearts. And yes, I have read Hebrews. It was never invalidated but rather God gave it to us in a new manner. It states the same in 2 John and that is why the Ten Commandments are reinforced all over the New Testament..that it will live in our hearts.

divya

However, where does that invalidate the entire Old Testament? Hebrews 8:7,8,12,13If it does so, why then does Christ state over and over than we must keep God's commandments if the entire Old Testament is not be followed? Hebrews 9:16Why then does Christ even quote part of the Ten Commandments and tell us to follow them?Hebrews 8:10

All the verses you are listing with are in regards to the doing away will the sacrificial/ceremonial laws of the Old Testament, not the moral law which is the Ten Commandments.

Could you please find verses that do away with each of the New Testament reinforcements of the Ten Commandments that I have listed? Here they are again...

Matthew 22: 37-40
Romans 13:9
Luke 4:16/Luke 6:5

And lastly these verses in 2 John...which tell us to follow the commandments we were giving from the very beginning..

Caramela

I understand your point, that the laws are restated, but they are just that, restated in the new testament. We are to abide by that which is written in the new testament... not that of the old. It is written AGAIN for us in the new testament because God expects us to apply that to our lives. But the ENTIRE Old testament isn't rewritten for us in the new testament. The new testament is a better testament according to the word. And that's what as Christians we are to follow. God will be merciful to our unrighteousness. Sins are forgiven and remembered against us no more. There were no Christians in the Old Testament... God gave laws to his chosen people... they didn't apply to everyone else. Everyone else was excluded. I'm not a Jew. God didn't write the laws of the old testament to apply to me. Under Christ, we have God's mercy. But because that first law was given to the jews and was not all inclusive, a new convenant had to be made.

Caramela

Chapter 8 of Hebrews does away with the entire old testament, sacrificial laws and all.
The laws that were written on tablets are restated in the new testament so that we follow them in our hearts. We follow what is restated in the new testament. We do not follow what is in the old.

You must do what you feel is right according to scripture. While I do believe the old testament is valuable for our learning, the laws are simply not applicable to Christians. :drunk:

divya

Chapter 8 of Hebrews does away with the entire old testament, sacrificial laws and all.
The laws that were written on tablets are restated in the new testament so that we follow them in our hearts. We follow what is restated in the new testament. We do not follow what is in the old.

You must do what you feel is right according to scripture. While I do believe the old testament is valuable for our learning, the laws are simply not applicable to Christians. :drunk:

I hear your claims, but if the book of Hebrews is supposedly invalidatedating the entire Old Testament, then can you Biblically refute the following Old Testament teachings below out of the mouth of Christ and in other books...and also book of Hebrews reinforcement of the 4th commandment?

Matthew 22: 37-40
Romans 13:9
Luke 4:16/Luke 6:5

And lastly these verses in 2 John...which tell us to follow the commandments we were giving from the very beginning..

It's one thing to believe such but I would like to see what that is based on. We have two different understandings of Hebrews, so can you somehow explain the above? Biblically.

Last edited:

divya

I have, biblically.

I disagree. If Hebrews were interpreted as you have mentioned, then that would invalidate numerous New Testament teachings listed and more such as those in 2 John, and including what Christ said out of His own mouth. Are we to disregard Christ? So it simply cannot be as you have claimed or else that would be advocating living in stark contradiction. Only sacrificial/ceremonial laws were nailed to the cross which is what Hebrews explains. That is why 2 John instructs us to follow the commandments we were given in the beginning.

Caramela

I disagree. If Hebrews were interpreted as you have mentioned, then that would invalidate numerous New Testament teachings listed and more such as those in 2 John, and including what Christ said out of His own mouth. Are we to disregard Christ? So it simply cannot be as you have claimed or else that would be advocating living in stark contradiction. Only sacrificial/ceremonial laws were nailed to the cross which is what Hebrews explains. That is why 2 John instructs us to follow the commandments we were given in the beginning.

I'm sorry that you disagree. But that is your right. I have given scripture that shows that Christ commanded us to keep the laws of the day, but after his dying, a new covenant or testament would be put into place. I have also explained, that that which we are commanded to keep from the old testament has been restated in the new testament. What we were to keep, we were told to keep. The rest of it was replaced with a new testament. All explained biblically... :yep:

MomofThreeBoys

Divya is on point.

2 Timothy 3:16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness,

Obviously this was written before there even WAS a New Testatment.

Sacrificial and ceremonial laws were done away with in the old because Christ was the fullfillment of these laws.

How can we do away with the Old?

1) It teaches us about Creation and who God is
2) It points to Christ (so many prophecies validate who Christ is)
3)I think every couple should read Song of Solomon. How can that be done away with? and why would God do away with it?
4) Its teaches us TRUE history i.e. lineage of Christ, past kingdoms, the flood, etc.
5) It teaches us so many life lessons:: story of Esther, story of David and Goliath, story of Rahab, etc.

I could go on and on......

MomofThreeBoys

I voted other.

As I stated above, ceremonial laws and sacrificial laws are done away with. Therefore outside of those, I follow commandments written in the Old and New.

GodsPromises

The Credit Countess
And that sums it up right there!

Divya is on point.

2 Timothy 3:16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness,

Sacrificial and ceremonial laws were done away with in the old because Christ was the fullfillment of these laws.

3)I think every couple should read Song of Solomon. How can that be done away with? and why would God do away with it?
4) Its teaches us TRUE history i.e. lineage of Christ, past kingdoms, the flood, etc.
5) It teaches us so many life lessons:: story of Esther, story of David and Goliath, story of Rahab, etc.

divya

I'm sorry that you disagree. But that is your right. I have given scripture that shows that Christ commanded us to keep the laws of the day, but after his dying, a new covenant or testament would be put into place. I have also explained, that that which we are commanded to keep from the old testament has been restated in the new testament. What we were to keep, we were told to keep. The rest of it was replaced with a new testament. All explained biblically... :yep:

Well, guess we will agree to disagree. I believe in the Bible - not just the Old or New - but whole thing. I believe we were instructed to keep all, expect for sacrificial and ceremonial. It's right there in the Bible and numerous texts have been given in support with the New Testament itself, after Christ's death. Then 2 John makes it very clear that we must keep the commandments.

Take Care.

Last edited:

divya

Divya is on point.

:clapping: Exactly!

cheetarah1980

Actually, there is no difference between the new covenant and the old covenant. The latter is written on our hearts, while the former was written in stone. They both say the same thing. Keep His commands and the LORD will be our God and we will be his people.

If God doesn't change why would he all of a sudden change his laws and nullify them? Makes me wonder when they'll change again. Yes, the Torah and Prophets (i.e. Hebraic scriptures) were given to the Israelites. However, in Isaiah God commends the foreigners (i.e. Gentiles) that also keep his commands and Sabbaths. Plus, Paul teaches us that when we are in Messiah we are ingrafted or adopted into Israel and heirs of the covenant given to Abraham. A covenant is a two way street. The God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob will be our God and we will be his people. AND we have to obey his commands. Think of it this way. If you adopted a child into your home, would you have one set of rules for your biological children and another for the adoptees. I doubt it.

Plus Jesus did say that not one jot or tittle shall disappear from the Law and Prophets until heaven and earth pass away (which they never will). He also says that those of us who disregard the Law and encourage others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven.

All of scripture is based on love. God's love for not only his chosen people, but for the entire world. One of the best ways to show that love back to God is through obedience. Jesus said it best, "If you love me, you will obey my commands." And I don't think he meant just the ones we regard as necessary.