Laws and the 10 commandments

Jynlnd13

Whenever I take a shower, I like to have a little talk with Jesus.

So I was wondering, and asking ( generally I do this in my head )

I said, "I know we are no longer under the old testament laws, but what about the 10 commandments." -- I believe we are supposed to keep the 10 commandments.

Then in my head, this is what was placed in my spirit.

You are no longer under the old testament LAWS, but the 10 commandments are not the same. These are commands that do not change, and the old testament laws have passed.

Basically the 10 commandments and the old testament laws are not one in the same, and are in different categories.

Does anyone else feel like this? I have not read the whole bible yet, but I believe it to be true. Because GOD said to keep his commands, am I making any sense? Sorry if I'm not. I was wondering this because I've read where some people don't believe the 10 commandments still apply.

Also if you'd like to provide some scriptures, please do :yep:

luthiengirlie

You are making VERY VERY VERY BIG SENSE.. it is something I have to research but you are correct... it is why I am Messianic

Honi

There is no board.
The answer is Christ.

The Law is the ministry of condemnation and death. You break one of them commandments and you are guilty of all under the Law.

You are correct he did say to keep it but also knew that no one would be able to keep it :lol: That is why we are under a new covenant...GRACE that came to us from Christ.

To put it another way....The Son is greater than the servant. Moses is the servant. Jesus is the Son. The Law came by Moses, Grace came by Jesus. Grace is GREATER than Law. The Law (the essence of the Law) will always demand from you. The essence of Grace supplies.

Look at 2Corinth 3: 6-17 that talks about the spirit (not the letter, the Law) and then goes on to talk about the glory of the new covenant.

6 who also made us sufficient as ministers of the new covenant, not of the letter but of the Spirit;[a] for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life.

7 But if the ministry of death, written and engraved on stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not look steadily at the face of Moses because of the glory of his countenance, which glory was passing away,

8 how will the ministry of the Spirit not be more glorious?

9 For if the ministry of condemnation had glory, the ministry of righteousness exceeds much more in glory.

10 For even what was made glorious had no glory in this respect, because of the glory that excels.

11 For if what is passing away was glorious, what remains is much more glorious.

12 Therefore, since we have such hope, we use great boldness of speech—

13 unlike Moses, who put a veil over his face so that the children of Israel could not look steadily at the end of what was passing away.

14 But their minds were blinded. For until this day the same veil remains unlifted in the reading of the Old Testament, because the veil is taken away in Christ.

15 But even to this day, when Moses is read, a veil lies on their heart.

16 Nevertheless when one turns to the Lord, the veil is taken away.

17 Now the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

No one is saying that it's not important. Those Laws on the tablets were written by the finger of God. But, you don't need to hold onto that anymore for your salvation because of Christ.

Last edited:

JinaRicci

Whenever I take a shower, I like to have a little talk with Jesus.

So I was wondering, and asking ( generally I do this in my head )

I said, "I know we are no longer under the old testament laws, but what about the 10 commandments." -- I believe we are supposed to keep the 10 commandments.

Then in my head, this is what was placed in my spirit.

You are no longer under the old testament LAWS, but the 10 commandments are not the same. These are commands that do not change, and the old testament laws have passed.

Basically the 10 commandments and the old testament laws are not one in the same, and are in different categories.

Does anyone else feel like this? I have not read the whole bible yet, but I believe it to be true. Because GOD said to keep his commands, am I making any sense? Sorry if I'm not. I was wondering this because I've read where some people don't believe the 10 commandments still apply.

Also if you'd like to provide some scriptures, please do :yep:

That's what I believe too. The 10 commandments are still our guidebook for living. It's not okay to steal, kill, envy etc. That hasn't changed. Most of the commandments are in sync with the laws of the land or moral values that society in general live by. So as Christians, we should be upholding them.

The ceremonial laws in the Old Testament were symbolic, with the required sacrifices representing the sacrifice that Christ would ultimately make for our sins. That was to prepare the hearts of man for the concept of redemption. They all pointed to Christ.

Jesus' dying on the cross was the fulfillment of these laws. He became the true sacrificial lamb.

Matthew 5:17 (KJV)
Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfill.

We're not perfect so we fall short of keeping the 10 commandments. That's the reason why our own works or good deeds can't save us.
Thank God for Grace! That's what saves us from the wages (death) of our sins (the breaking of the law).

But we should still strive to keep the commandments. We can't claim redemption but still do whatever we want or not bring about any change in how we live.

The entire chapter of Romans 3 is a good read on this subject.

Romans 3: 23, 24.
For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;
Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus.

vs 28
Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law.

vs 31
Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law.