Please help, my hair is tangled mess

ladycage

H Ladies,

I am trying to go natural since reading this board. I last relaxed in Oct but my hair is so tangled now that I can't even comb through it. I have tried using conditioner in the shower and trying to comb that way but it still tangles so much and comes out. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am a 4a I think but not sure but my hair tangles like crazy, its the worst and comes out when I try to comb it when wet. I use oils on it as a pre poo but that doen't seem to work any longer as I really need a perm but I am really trying to do this natural thing but maybe I can't. I'm sure some of you seasoned naturals might be able to help me.

Thanks so much

My hair is coming out so much when I try to comb through it but it just tangles so much.

ladycage

Here are the products that I have on hand now:
Vegetable Glycerin
Alma oil
EVOO
Vatika Oil, Unrefined Shea Butter, Mango butter, Palm oil, Alvocado oil, Almond Oil, Coconut Oil, Eqyss Avocado Mist

Irresistible

Do you use a wide tooth comb? and comb while your hair is wet with conditioner and oil in sections?

also detangling this way before washing or doing a cowash instead might help, also you can try to wash your hair in four sections already detangled and in braids

Irresistible

I have to detangle in sections going from the nape up adding oils/conditioner and working my way through it

I also use a K cutter but any very wide tooth comb will help

ladycage

What is a K cutter? I use a wide tooth comb. I can detangle it better when it is dry. How do I wash her in 4 braids?

Irresistible

Irresistible is your hair natural. It is gorgeous, how do you maintain it?
Thank you
yes all natural and alot of work, lol

Check out my youtube, I show my detangling my hair in sections with coconut oil with a K cutter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoGFCQ--928

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpqBkKzZ0rE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gT6ltdvxR2s

I dont know how to do it because I never have, but I have heard of others washing their hair with their hair in braids already detangled and it helping with tangling

you just gotta find those little things that will work for your hair, keep trying and dont give up

Last edited:

MuslimahTresses

When my hair gets tangled like that I try clarifying. Then use a moisturizing shampoo followed by a moisturizing deep condioner for 30 minutes with heat or an hour without heat. Once I'm ready to rinse, I comb through under the running shower water with a wide tooth comb.

That always helps, my shampoo is a detangling shampoo and it knocks those knots right out of my hair. Then I moisture and blow dry or air dry ect.

crlsweetie912

From your product list I don't see any conditioner or moisturizer. What do you use? Sounds like you need a HEAVY moisturizing conditioner and a moisturizing leave in for everyday use...HTH.

anon123

What is a K cutter? I use a wide tooth comb. I can detangle it better when it is dry. How do I wash her in 4 braids?

There are variations on how to do it. You might try conditioning your hair before you wash on dry hair. Many people do this with the belief that it gives better results because your hair is not already full of water and is now able to take in more of the conditioner. Then gently comb out your conditioner-laden hair. Comb out in sections and braid each section. Get into the shower and rinse well. Using a large cup, pour shampoo into the cup and fill the rest of the cup with water. This will give you soapy water. Pour the soapy water over your head. It might take two cups to get enough soapiness for your hair. Squeeze the shampoo into your braids and massage your soapy scalp to remove dirt. Rinse thoroughly, squeezing the shampoo and conditioner out of the braid. For me, if I do this, it is best to let the hair dry in those braids, too. If you want to transition, this could be sufficient for your detangling and your styling purposes, because after the braids are dry, you can undo them and wear a braid-out. You would not need to comb the hair again until you are ready to wash again, rebraiding the hair each night to keep it from tangling. Check out this routine:
http://public.fotki.com/yassylane/

combing your hair can be dangerous to your tresses especially if you are dealing with two textures.

1. detangle with your fingers. it may take a while but it will save you some hair.

2. don't come from root to tip when you have two textures. once you detangle the permed hair then deal with natural hair.

3. work with smaller sections.

4 put hair into 4 sections(platts) after detangling and wash that way.

5 let hair dry half way and then work with one section at a time.

this works for me. I had a rough time in the beginning of my transition too.

naturalpride

Try using olive oil or castor oil before before conditioning, apply the oil to your hair then put the conditioner on top of the oil then detangle:)

vestaluv1

I had a lllooooooonnnnngggg 10 month relaxer stretch and the only way that I could detangle my mess was to:
  • Wash hair and condition in sections
  • Meticulously finger detangle in sections on wet/damp hair
  • Then use a wide tooth comb with Aussie Detangling Spray
This is the most effective way for me, but boy did it take ages. This way I lose a lot less hair than going straight for the shower comb or wide tooth comb.
When I detangle with a shower/wide tooth comb with conditioner in the shower my hair is not fully detangled plus I lose too much hair.

Lucky's Mom

Well, it looks like you have recieved alot of advice.

Conditioning will be key to your success as a transitioner and the overall health to your hair.

Good luck..............

Lucky's Mom

I only wash my hair in Twists or braids. Never loose...Loose textured hair is recipe for disaster. So is Dry detangling....

here are a couple of pictures....I only detangle in the shower - Wide tooth combs are ok... But eccessive combing - is going to cause more problems for you.

Attachments

• braids fat ones end of April 08 009.jpg
    braids fat ones end of April 08 009.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Hair Feb 27th 009.jpg
    Hair Feb 27th 009.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 6