I have a crazy question...I guess

ladyKT

Should we comb our hair everyday? I am having a hard time managing my natural hair. I just keep it in not so neat twists under my wig. When I try to comb it after 3 days, it hurts to bad and is very tangled, so I will wash it to try to help get the tangles out, but it gets worst.

Do you think I should get someone to comb it out really good for me and then try to keep it combed everyday? Or is combing bad? I tried the finger combing thing and that hurts also. :wallbash:

BlkOnyx488

What else do you use when you wet your hair? I like using a creamy leave in conditioner like cantu shea butter. a friend also recommend creme of nature leave in.

How do you detangle? I have to section my hair in about 6 or 8 section
I do a like finger detangle then I braid the section.

when I am doing I will co-wash while it's in the braids. then I go back with a leave in and detangle each section first with my fingers then with a wide to comb.

Should we comb our hair everyday? I am having a hard time managing my natural hair. I just keep it in not so neat twists under my wig. When I try to comb it after 3 days, it hurts to bad and is very tangled, so I will wash it to try to help get the tangles out, but it gets worst.

Do you think I should get someone to comb it out really good for me and then try to keep it combed everyday? Or is combing bad? I tried the finger combing thing and that hurts also. :wallbash:

lovenharmony

ET / OT Bonafide Member
Do you take care of your hair under your wig? Meaning do you moisturize? I'm not an expert on wearing wigs, but IMO I think braiding your natural hair would be better than twisting - should be less likely to unravel and should be less poofy.

DeenIsFirst

If it's hurting, may you need to be more gentle and patient with your hair. I have to go really slowly when detangling or finger combing my hair. It can take me up to 2 hrs at times but I dont mind. I've lost too much hair from trying to 'get it over with'. And always start from the ends, slowly take out the tangles and work your way up.

Charz

Sinister Minister
That's strange. I leave my hair in twists for 7-10 days at a time, and when I detangle in the shower, its so easy.

How big are your twists an do you detangle before putting in the twists? Do you twist wet or dry?

PPGbubbles

I do not comb my hair everyday if it is in its natural state....I would hurt too. I only comb on wash days

If you was and twist your hair under a wig honestly you shouldnt need to comb again till washday.

If I need to comb or manipulate my hair in between wash days I "soften" the hair first with a light mist of water or some light watery leave in. The in proceed to comb or manipulate my hair. This method reduced breakage in my hair and the teeth on my combs... not to mention it eases the pain!

ladyKT

That's strange. I leave my hair in twists for 7-10 days at a time, and when I detangle in the shower, its so easy.

How big are your twists an do you detangle before putting in the twists? Do you twist wet or dry?
I twist wet but I don't think I do a good job with detangling because when I take it down it's a mess and worst then before. I am going to try taking more time because maybe I am rushing too much. I just do medium twist..nothing nice and neat.

I am learning so much from you all. I really don't know much about hair.

ladyKT

I do not comb my hair everyday if it is in its natural state....I would hurt too. I only comb on wash days

If you was and twist your hair under a wig honestly you shouldnt need to comb again till washday.

If I need to comb or manipulate my hair in between wash days I "soften" the hair first with a light mist of water or some light watery leave in. The in proceed to comb or manipulate my hair. This method reduced breakage in my hair and the teeth on my combs... not to mention it eases the pain!
I am going to try to soften the hair as you stated.

lushlady

Are you combing your hair when it is wet or dry? When I take my hair out of twists/braids, I use a wide tooth comb (make sure the comb has very smooth teeth) for each braid/twist, then I put a little coconut oil or olive oil on that section, brush it with a soft bristle brush, clip and repeat until I am done. It took me a year or so to figure out my hair after I went natural and the most important thing for me was to be patient. I can’t promise that this will work for you, but this is what I figured out for my hair.

Eluv

I had this problem early in my natural hair journey.

Things that helped me:
1) Make sure your properly detangle before twisting/braiding your hair down.

2) Do not detangle on dry hair. Use a detangling moisturizer and/or spray (some people use conditioner).

3) Use a wide tooth comb.

4) Most importantly, allow the hair to air dry in large braids or twist. Air drying loose natural hair is a definite No No, or you will spend hours detangling.