Please Critique this Regimen

Ivytresses

MY BFF has very long hair. Our textures are basically the same, but my natural growth pattern lends itself to growing longer on the sides and shorter in the back. Since I took out my braids I have considerable length in the back (more than I am used to to) and I would like to keep it growing past what it normally does. She gave me her regimen. I am posting it here in the hopes you critique it.

*Also she didn't mention the frequency of her washes. So help would be appreciated there as well?

Nexxus Botanoil Botanical Treatment Shampoo
Nexxus HydraSleek Silken Smoothing Conditioner
Nexxus Sleek Memory Straightening Smoothing Spray

Once a month (approximately) I use:
Nexxus Keraphix Restorative Strengthening Conditioner,
Nexxus Emergencee or
Phyto -- Phytokarite ultra nourishing mask
I also use:
Carol's Daughter -- Some of Marguerite's Magic (as a daily hairdressing) or Mimosa Hair Honey (smells AWESOME!)
Carol's Daughter -- Lisa's Hair Elixer or Jazi Jus
and/or Chi -- Silk Infusion (as a finishing
shine serum)

MyHair is relaxed, but I am going to be a stretcher and will now do my own relaxers. I will also entertain monthly or bi-monthly DOminican Doobies.

Waiting on your reviews,

:love:

Kim

Last edited:

SEMO

Are you natural or relaxed? That would help people to better advise you.

Personally, I don't have any experience with Nexxus, so I can't comment there either way. But as far as how often to shampoo, I think most people do that about 1-2 times a week.

msa

I don't know anything about nexxus and I have an intense dislike for carol's daughter products. But if they work for you, then stick with them. Just remember that even though you have similar textres, your friends regimen and products may not work for you so don't be afaid to tweak it if you need to. As long as you're keeping your hair clean, conditioned, and moisturized you should be fine.

When not in braids do you generally wear your hair down a lot? That could be the reason your back was always shorter; your ends were getting broken off from rubbing against your clothes. Having the braids in, with your ends protected, allowed you to more length retention. I think you should consider wearing protective styles consistently in order to help you retain the hair that you grow.

Last edited:

wheezy807

Can we help you build a regimen? I'm not familiar with nexxus or carol's daughter neither. But that nexxus keraphix restorative strengthening conditioner sounds good (i wanna try it).:lick: Are these products expensive?

Ivytresses

I would really like to have help on a baseline regimin as a start so that I can tweak if need be.

Again, pardon the questions, but what are protective styles? I am going to post a picture of my hair both natural and relaxed somehow on my siggy.

Another suggestion from a friend was to part hair in 4 sections and create 4 pic PIN CURLS with Supersized Bobby Pins. Any feedback, ladies?

msa

Protective styles are styles where your ends are protected and not exposed to the elements. Buns, weaves, braids, wigs, pinned up styles (ie French roll), and there things like that are protective.

Sistaslick, a member here, has a great article on regimen building that you should check out. Just go to the member list, find her name, and go to her profile. There are links to her great articles there. You may also want to check out www.longhairdontcare.net. She's also a member here who is relaxed and has a simple approach to regimens (cleanse, condition, and care).

Ivytresses

MSA- What stems your dislike for C.D. I hear a lot of the same about the product line. I have the Elixir and the Hair Honey and a couple of shampoos. I think it was the Celebrity Effect that influenced my purchase. Then I went to Nexxus and have used the products twice and like them. I am going to go to the sites you selected and check out "Sistaslick" and then be able to work it out.

Speaking of work out I am going to experiment with this cowash after today's workout. I am going to walk to the gym in 85 degree heat. Work the treadmill and bike for 30 minutes each walk back home and get to co-washing. When I come back can someone tell me exactly how to cowash? DO I wet my hair, massage it with the conditioner, let it sit and then wash it out?

Loving the Sisterhood of LHCF,

Kim

msa

The only CD product that I think is good is the elixir, but it's not worth the money. You could make it yourself for way cheaper. As CD got bigger she started using less natural (expensive) ingredients and more synthetic (cheap) ingredients, the quality went way down but the prices are the same. If I'm going to use paraffin (which is just petroleum) I may as well go to sallys and buy it for 3-5$ instead of 20$.

Your cowash plan sounds good. Just remember that you're using it the same way as shampoo, so make sure you get your scalp clean. And letting it sit for a bit is a good idea.

By the way, your hair is beautiful!

Ivytresses

Thanks for the compliment, it has taken a lot of getting used to. I still am going to Opt for my Dominican Doobies, but no more than 2X a month. This working out is the problem. I am on a mission to lose a considerable amount of weight and my workout regimen is up there. I also just bought a new house, so I am going to have to gingerly make purchases for my hair and not go overboard with the cash. I am actually looking forward to learning tips and tricks that don't require a lot of cash layout. I hear there are a lot of LHCF sisters who are making their own products and formulae and would love to how to do that too.

This chapter of my life is about simplifying. If God blesses me and my husband with a little one some day, I want to make sure that my life is as simple as possible and that includes my Hair Care Regimen. Well, it seems like you have become my first LHCF buddy. Thanks for all your help. and BTW I bet your hair is as Fly as Tempest's if not Flyer!!!

Kim