peroxide...will it take my hair out?

sylviaetc

i mentioned a few monthes ago that i burnt my face on the heater. well, because the burn is by my temple, when i cleaned it with peroxide i inevitably got some in my hair; a small patch of hair by my temple is a brassy orange. so my question is... now that i'm ready to relax again will that small patch of orange hair come out?

i've been so afraid of relaxing becuase of this that i know have maybe 3in of new growth which is dying for a fix.
can anyone advise me?

ChasingBliss

One of the worst things I did many years ago to my hair was try to bleach it with regular peroxide and then a week later, I relaxed it. My hair was definitely breaking off. All I can tell you is that it CAN happen. Hopefully some of these knowledgable ladies can advise you on what to do from here.

bettydavis

Did the peroxide get on your new growth or hair that is relaxed? Maybe you should protect the part that is affected by the peroxide with petroleum ( or whatever you use) this time around. Maybe by the next touchup it will be strong enough? I don't really know, I'm just trying to think of something you could do.

sylviaetc

thanx for the interest, ladies....

actually, now that i look at it, the peroxide is on my new growth. hmmm, i stopped using peroxide to clean that area maybe a month ago, but i'm still unsure whether or not a big tuft of hair will fall out.
anymore advice, out there? i'm desperate!

TigerOrange

Peroxide actually strips the cuticle layer away. That is why your hair gets lighter and lighter. I had a friend in middle school that would soak a sponge roller in peroxide. Her bang turned pink. I'm not kidding. Peroxide was the cheap person's hair color. I also know some people that turned their hair red with this stuff. Eventually the hair does break off after relaxing. I'm supposing because the cuticle layer is broken down soo much. I think you will be ok. Just try to avoid relaxing that area of your hair right now. It doesn't sound like the region of hair is that large.