Natural hairstyles for the corporate world- Help

JollyGal

***You just got a job with a high flying firm. You're due to start at the beginning of August. You are currently in braid extensions and have already said you shall take out your braids and will be natural by the end of July. You do not want to relax your hair or cut it short***

What hairstyles do you think are acceptable in the corporate world (except buns) as a new starter?

Please post pictures, links or instructions...

http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/msg14216.html
http://www.diversityinc.com/public/2631.cfm

Thanks in advance

Here is my contribution...
Michelle Obama and another G8 lady (lady in front with braids could be done with natural hair)

Claire Ighodaro- Lloyds of london (and a whole lot more :yep:)

Diane Abbot- Labour MP

Lady Obama again

Michelle Ogundehin - Elle decoration editor

ladylibra

The corporate world is so different now, it's hard to say. It used to be more professional to wear your hair in buns and updos, but it's much more lax now...

***Off-topic, but I like Michelle's hair in the first pic. :grin:

knt1229

It really depends on the company you work for. Is it a more relaxed business casual type of enviroment or a more conservative buttoned up type of place.

But hairstyles that are universally professional are of course the bun and curly hairstyles (roller sets). Twist outs and braid outs if the hair is more tamed and less wild with a nice shape to it can be worn too.

Solitude

Yeah, it depends both on the culture of the company and your personal preference. You could always be safe with a sleek updo until you get a chance to find a female AA mentor and ask her, or just observe how other women wear their hair.

I was a little confused about the braids thing...did you tell them you would take them out? Why? How would your hair even come up?

ETA: Also, however you wore your hair during the interview process should also be acceptable at work. I know a lot of women interviewing for jobs in the legal profession start off right from the interview wearing their natural hair.

Ronnieaj

I've done twist outs and braids outs. I've done wash and gos, but I have to have my wng game down for that! Of course there are rollersets and buns, flatironing, etc. I actually wear my hair in twists the majority of the time. I'm an attorney, and unless I've got to be in court for either trials or motions day, I keep my hair twisted. I use bobby pins (a natural girls' best friend, imo) to create different styles, such as a french twist that I did last week. When I'm in court I tend to do a twist out, which the judges could care less about, but which for some reason tends to scare the opposing client a little bit. :grin: I've been known to wear my hair in an afro for trial for the same reason. :yep::yep:

CocoBunny

Buns, low pony tails w/side parts, tamed (not frizzy) curls are pretty safe. Just depends on the company and how far you want to go (in that particular company if hair styles are an issue).

Also depends on what department or position you are in. For example there are those who may think that a simple bun for the Marketing Director would be odd and her/his hair MUST be funky, trendy, slightly wild or she/he isn't creative.

Hair and hair styles can be tricky. I watch/hear it every day and you'd be shocked at how hair style or color can affect perception about ability and intelligence and it can affect promotions for both AA, non AA's and male and female.

YMMV

naturalmanenyc

I'm not sure that there are career limiting hairstyles anymore. It really depends on how stuffy the firm is & if they have other natural ladies in the company. Braids are so common place that most firms would not have a problem with them so long as they are not odd colors.

JollyGal

Yeah, it depends both on the culture of the company and your personal preference. You could always be safe with a sleek updo until you get a chance to find a female AA mentor and ask her, or just observe how other women wear their hair.

I was a little confused about the braids thing...did you tell them you would take them out? Why? How would your hair even come up?

ETA: Also, however you wore your hair during the interview process should also be acceptable at work. I know a lot of women interviewing for jobs in the legal profession start off right from the interview wearing their natural hair.

No I never told them. I made the decision long before I even applied the job. I've been wearing braid extensions for many years. I want to let me hair go freely now that I have more education about my hair (thanks to BHM and LHCF).

I honestly don't think I can wear an afro to work...more so I don't feel comfortable to do it yet until I have been there for longer than 2 months.

The black females at the firm have relaxed or hair extensions. I can only ask them so much. The lady who interviewed me is black and again she had relaxed hair.

It could all be a confidence issue...

Thanks

JollyGal

It really depends on the company you work for. Is it a more relaxed business casual type of enviroment or a more conservative buttoned up type of place.

But hairstyles that are universally professional are of course the bun and curly hairstyles (roller sets). Twist outs and braid outs if the hair is more tamed and less wild with a nice shape to it can be worn too.

I have my induction in two weeks so I don't really know the much about the atmosphere other than what I've been told by my interviewer and people I randomly spoke to at lunch and in the lifts (elevators) :grin:

My interviewer said it is a very relaxed atmosphere once you get into the firm (it's THAT hard to get into :perplexed)

I'm really thinking about the twist outs and braid outs and also braids or twists

JollyGal

I've done twist outs and braids outs. I've done wash and gos, but I have to have my wng game down for that! Of course there are rollersets and buns, flatironing, etc. I actually wear my hair in twists the majority of the time. I'm an attorney, and unless I've got to be in court for either trials or motions day, I keep my hair twisted. I use bobby pins (a natural girls' best friend, imo) to create different styles, such as a french twist that I did last week. When I'm in court I tend to do a twist out, which the judges could care less about, but which for some reason tends to scare the opposing client a little bit. :grin: I've been known to wear my hair in an afro for trial for the same reason. :yep::yep:

:grin::yep:

Bobby pins are one of my loves.

Once I settle in the firm I will wear my hair however I choose but right now I've got first month nerves

Ronnieaj

^^^Completely understood! I think stick with the buns (I like low buns best) and more neutral and simple looks. Once you get a good feeling for the atmosphere and your own comfort level, you can branch out from there. Congrats on getting the job, and I wish you and your hair the very best!!! :grin:

Where I work we have attorney that represent us in court office etc, one lady wear a really short cut , great style, , and the other two wear twist out , twist , buns, I like buns , tame Afro, neat twist , puffs and roller set ( flexi rods ) I think as long as it neat and professional you will do well, maintain your ends. If you wear weave , please maintain it at all time stay away from bright colors that don't match your skin color , it look a little strange. Congratulation on your new job.

Last edited:

Nonie

Instead of wearing an afro, how about an afro puff. I get so many compliments when I wear my hair like that, which is really unnecessary coz when I'm rocking my puffs, no one can tell me nuffin. I seriously swear my poop doesn't stink. OK it really doesn't coz I use poo pourri religiously :giggle: but on a serious note, puffs are da biz.

Anyway, here's my post from an old thread on this topic: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showpost.php?p=662485&postcount=12

JollyGal

^ Thanks

Bumping. I started work already but have taken my extensions out this weekend. Hope these styles look good in my hair