Pastor Kicks Transvestite Out of Uncle's Funeral

Enchantmt

Progress...not perfection
OK...THIS IS GOING TO BE VERY CONTROVERSIAL FOR SOME, AND WE WILL PROBABLY GET COMMENTS FROM FOLX WHO DONT NORMALLY POST HERE. I'M GOING TO SAY IN ADVANCE...KEEP IT CIVIL OR KEEP IT MOVING...INSULTING OR INFLAMMATORY POSTS WILL BE DELETED.

--------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.wafb.com/Global/story.asp?S=6866348&pass=1#poll63027

A Denham Springs man showed up at his uncle's funeral only to be kicked out by the pastor of the church. The reason? The man was wearing a dress. The pastor says he did the right thing. The transvestite insists he's heartbroken. WAFB's Caroline Moses reports on Dermaine and his dress.

Dermaine Johnson says he feels more like a woman than a man, and has for a while. He is attracted to men, and on most any day, he looks more like a woman. Johnson says, "This is who I am. I can't change that, that's me. Take me or leave me."

Dermaine put on a black dress and headed to his uncle's funeral earlier this month, only to be told he would have to leave. He says, "There wasn't no doubt they were judging me." Dermaine says both the pastor of New Zion Baptist Church in Denham Springs, and the pastor's wife, kicked him out of the church. He says, "He's like, 'Cause of the way you dress.' I was like, 'Hmmm, the way I'm dressed.'"

A woman says, "I was mad 'cause that's my best friend. I was mad." The woman did not want to give her name, but she says it was her father, Randolf Johnson's funeral, and he would have wanted his entire family to be there. She says, "I felt hurt, you know, it wasn't right and humiliating to us 'cause we are so big and people be trying to hate on us."

Johnson says he was close to his Uncle Randolf, too close not to go to his funeral. He says, "There is no way in heaven that God would want somebody to do this to somebody, just hurtful. I didn't like it at all."

Before Reverend Leroy Alvin Taylor of New Zion drove away from our cameras, he told us he did ask Dermaine to leave because he was wearing a dress. The reverend said, "You got to do what you got to do." Johnson says, "It made me feel like I was an infant baby, just left alone in the world with nobody to care for me." He says, "I came back home and I felt so bad, I just cried probably for like two hours."

He adds, "I wanted to be strong, so for my family, so I didn't hold my head down. I held it up." "I say, 'Come as you are, not to be judged when you get to the door,'" says Johnson.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Thoughts???

StrawberryQueen

That's so sad he was made to leave, his uncle probably loved him as he was.

Did the pastor also kick out the alcoholics, liars, thieves, adulters, child molesters? If so then he did the right thing. If not-well...:nono: And that's all I will say.

Maynard

Did the pastor also kick out the alcoholics, liars, thieves, adulters, child molesters? If so then he did the right thing. If not-well...:nono: And that's all I will say.

That would be interesting to know. Its unfortunate that he can't share in mourning with his other family members. Sad.

Mocha5

OK...THIS IS GOING TO BE VERY CONTROVERSIAL FOR SOME, AND WE WILL PROBABLY GET COMMENTS FROM FOLX WHO DONT NORMALLY POST HERE.

Well good. People should come here more often. We're not perfect but it's a lotta love here.

I'M GOING TO SAY IN ADVANCE...KEEP IT CIVIL OR KEEP IT MOVING...INSULTING OR INFLAMMATORY POSTS WILL BE DELETED.

--------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.wafb.com/Global/story.asp?S=6866348&pass=1#poll63027

A Denham Springs man showed up at his uncle's funeral only to be kicked out by the pastor of the church. The reason? The man was wearing a dress. The pastor says he did the right thing. The transvestite insists he's heartbroken. WAFB's Caroline Moses reports on Dermaine and his dress.

Dermaine Johnson says he feels more like a woman than a man, and has for a while. He is attracted to men, and on most any day, he looks more like a woman. Johnson says, "This is who I am. I can't change that, that's me. Take me or leave me."

Dermaine put on a black dress and headed to his uncle's funeral earlier this month, only to be told he would have to leave. He says, "There wasn't no doubt they were judging me." Dermaine says both the pastor of New Zion Baptist Church in Denham Springs, and the pastor's wife, kicked him out of the church. He says, "He's like, 'Cause of the way you dress.' I was like, 'Hmmm, the way I'm dressed.'"

A woman says, "I was mad 'cause that's my best friend. I was mad." The woman did not want to give her name, but she says it was her father, Randolf Johnson's funeral, and he would have wanted his entire family to be there. She says, "I felt hurt, you know, it wasn't right and humiliating to us 'cause we are so big and people be trying to hate on us."

Ummmm...what was that? If people don't stop. :lachen:

Johnson says he was close to his Uncle Randolf, too close not to go to his funeral. He says, "There is no way in heaven that God would want somebody to do this to somebody, just hurtful. I didn't like it at all."

Before Reverend Leroy Alvin Taylor of New Zion drove away from our cameras, he told us he did ask Dermaine to leave because he was wearing a dress. The reverend said, "You got to do what you got to do." Johnson says, "It made me feel like I was an infant baby, just left alone in the world with nobody to care for me." He says, "I came back home and I felt so bad, I just cried probably for like two hours."

He adds, "I wanted to be strong, so for my family, so I didn't hold my head down. I held it up." "I say, 'Come as you are, not to be judged when you get to the door,'" says Johnson.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Thoughts???

First and foremost just because he was presiding over the funeral doesn't give him the right to kick anybody out of nowhere! What they shoulda done was kicked his behind out and proceeded with the service without him. What ever happened to love the person and hate the sin???

StrawberryQueen

First and foremost just because he was presiding over the funeral doesn't give him the right to kick anybody out of nowhere! What they shoulda done was kicked his behind out and proceeded with the service without him. What ever happened to love the person and hate the sin???
It went out the door when folks started to pick and choose the sins they wanted to punish and the teachings of the Word they choose to implement.

Also, it take so much more energy and effort to love someone despite their flaws instead of coming down on them like a ton of bricks.

Last edited:

Mocha5

It went out the door when folks started to pick and choose the sins they wanted to punish and the teachings of the Word they choose to implement.

Also, it take so much more energy and effort to love someone despite their flaws instead of coming down on them like a ton of bricks.

When it should be the other way around. Somebody forgot to tell him that love covers all offences...

Enchantmt

Well, I'm of two minds. On one hand we arent to give place to evil. There are scriptures that speak to men and women dressing like the opposite sex. Christianity embraces all people, but it isnt tolerent in the aspect that anything goes just because you can be forgiven for it, and flaunting unrepentant behavior in the face of God. God is a holy God and we are to have respect for His house. Yes we are to come as we are, but once we receive Christ we are to grow and mature in the things of Christ and bring our behavior into alignment with Gods word. The word says if you love God you will obey, if you are in fellowship with God and love Him, you will do your best to obey Him, which means changing to bring your thoughts and behavior in line with the word of God.

On the other hand, even though the funeral took place in a church, you cant expect everyone who comes to pay their respects to be Christian. We dont know whether or not the person being kicked out was Christian or not. I think it was insensitive for the pastor to react this way during a time the family was already hurting. I think he should have taken the person aside and spoke with him, instead of publically shaming him.

So, while I wouldnt have kicked him out, I can see someone being enraged at the (real or perceived) disrespect of Gods house to react first and think later. Even Jesus went off kicking money changers out of God's temple. Not exactly the same thing, but are we to allow EVERY and ANYTHING to go on in the house of God? How are folx supposed to tell us apart from the world if we look and behave just like the world?

Sasha Fierce

Right. If the preacher kicked out everyone who was involved in some sort of sin, there would have been an empty church. And the killer part is that kicking everybody out who was doing wrong would require him to leave too.

JewelleNY

Doesn't God say to come as you are? Maybe that man would have been touched by God that day, it isn't up to the minister to judge, I think churches are too condemning, how do you reach people when you turn them away, I thought only God had that power :ohwell:

baby42

this sad for sure i wouldnt want to belong to that church it was a funeral he had no right to do that :nono:THEY MAN DID NOT BELONG TO THAT CHURCH WHAT WAS THE POINT OF DOING THAT? WHAT GAY PEOPLE DONT LOVE GOD?or have family that die or are you to give a guess list of who is comeing?so if they gay stay away like i said i would never go to him for nothing because he did this who nexts?

Mocha5

Well, I'm of two minds. On one hand we arent to give place to evil. There are scriptures that speak to men and women dressing like the opposite sex. Christianity embraces all people, but it isnt tolerent in the aspect that anything goes just because you can be forgiven for it, and flaunting unrepentant behavior in the face of God. God is a holy God and we are to have respect for His house. Yes we are to come as we are, but once we receive Christ we are to grow and mature in the things of Christ and bring our behavior into alignment with Gods word.

Right, we are to come as we are. But he was not allowed to. At the point where he was kicked out everything else from receiving Christ to bringing his behavior into alignment with God's word was null and void.

The word says if you love God you will obey, if you are in fellowship with God and love Him, you will do your best to obey Him, which means changing to bring your thoughts and behavior in line with the word of God.

Gotta know Him first. This man may never step foot in a church again.

On the other hand, even though the funeral took place in a church, you cant expect everyone who comes to pay their respects to be Christian. We dont know whether or not the person being kicked out was Christian or not. I think it was insensitive for the pastor to react this way during a time the family was already hurting. I think he should have taken the person aside and spoke with him, instead of publically shaming him.

So, while I wouldnt have kicked him out, I can see someone being enraged at the (real or perceived) disrespect of Gods house to react first and think later.

I can't. The Bible calls us not to be enraged. And in a situation like this? I just don't get it. Maybe I need to go and do a lot more studying. :yep:

Even Jesus went off kicking money changers out of God's temple.

He gets a pass cause He's Jesus...:lachen:

Not exactly the same thing, but are we to allow EVERY and ANYTHING to go on in the house of God?

Nope. but I think this is different than accepting someone in love.

How are folx supposed to tell us apart from the world if we look and behave just like the world?

We shouldn't behave just like the world. Your first paragraph is a testament to this. But many of us wouldn't be saved and where we are now had someone not accepted us as we first were.

Enchantmt

We shouldn't behave just like the world. Your first paragraph is a testament to this. But many of us wouldn't be saved and where we are now had someone not accepted us as we first were.

I agree. I've always said to get folx saved first and then God will help lead and guide them into any changes they need to make.

kbragg

There a difference between having sin, and FLAUNTING it. That guy knew exactly what he was doing - making a statement. IF he was repentant he would've had enough respect for his family and for God's house to "dress up' like a man for one day, but no, he CHOSE to FLAUNT his sin. Those of you saying the Pastor should've kicked out all the sinners really need to compare apples to apples. Would the Pastor have let some drunk dude come in the church drinking his 40? I venture to say that he wouldn't have made it past the doors. What about somebody who was cussing up a storm? Don't think they would've made it in either. Jesus said to judge righteous judgement. We are to hate what He hates. God HATES homosexuality, He HATES pride, and IMO this "man" was displaying both. Jesus said to come as you are YES, but He also said to HUMBLE YOURSELVES. I mean, think about it. How would you feel about an unmarried couple, feeling each other up during service? Or a child molester touch a child as they walked past their pew. Come as you are? No. That's flaunting your sin, spitting in the face of God, and He will NOT honor that. Jesus gave grace to the HUMBLE, but rebuked the proud (the rich man, the pharasies, etc.) and we are to do as He did. The Bible clearly states that we are to rebuke, in LOVE, not just look the other way. I'm sure someone will call me a hate monger and quote my post in some Christian bashing thread later on but oh well, don't take it up with me, take it up with my Daddy!:yep:

kbragg

I agree. I've always said to get folx saved first and then God will help lead and guide them into any changes they need to make.

Folx can't GET saved until they humble themselves before the Lord. This is why we have so many false converts in the church today. Everyone wants to be seeker friendly, so much so that the Gospel isn't preached. Preachers say "come to Jesus to get a new car and solve all your problems," instead of the Gospel which is Jesus died for your sins, but if you don't repent of your sins, meaning turn away from them, you are in danger of hell. People call it "Fire & Brimstone" preaching, but that's what Jesus preach to the PROUD. He gave grace to the humble. The woman caught in adultery is a perfect example. She was humble, repentant, ashamed, and repentant. Jesus showed her mercy. Now if she would've came out there all haughty like with her "man" flaunting her sin in the street, would Jesus have responded the same way? I don't think so. Jesus Himself said not to fear man who can only destroy the body, but rather fear Him who can destroy both body AND soul in Hell.

Anyway, I know my thinking goes against the current grain but that's ok. The path is narrow, I'd rather be on the narrow path of the Gospel than the wide path of the "seeker Friendly" movement.:yep:

Mocha5

There a difference between having sin, and FLAUNTING it. That guy knew exactly what he was doing - making a statement. IF he was repentant he would've had enough respect for his family and for God's house to "dress up' like a man for one day, but no, he CHOSE to FLAUNT his sin.

Sin is sin rather he's out in a dress or at home sleeping with men. I prefer the former. At least you know what you're dealing with it. The one thing I know for sure is that one of my sistas WILL NOT be marrying him. The other well...you already know the deal.

Those of you saying the Pastor should've kicked out all the sinners really need to compare apples to apples. Would the Pastor have let some drunk dude come in the church drinking his 40? I venture to say that he wouldn't have made it past the doors. What about somebody who was cussing up a storm? Don't think they would've made it in either. Jesus said to judge righteous judgement. We are to hate what He hates. God HATES homosexuality, He HATES pride, and IMO this "man" was displaying both. Jesus said to come as you are YES, but He also said to HUMBLE YOURSELVES. I mean, think about it. How would you feel about an unmarried couple, feeling each other up during service? Or a child molester touch a child as they walked past their pew. Come as you are? No. That's flaunting your sin, spitting in the face of God, and He will NOT honor that. Jesus gave grace to the HUMBLE, but rebuked the proud (the rich man, the pharasies, etc.) and we are to do as He did. The Bible clearly states that we are to rebuke, in LOVE, not just look the other way. I'm sure someone will call me a hate monger and quote my post in some Christian bashing thread later on but oh well, don't take it up with me, take it up with my Daddy!:yep:

And when it's all said and done..where was the love? Maybe he should have offered him a shirt and pants. That would have been rebuking in love.

Mocha5

Folx can't GET saved until they humble themselves before the Lord.

True dat. I have a list of people who's salvation I pray for daily. And I ask daily that their pride be washed away. The problem is that many don't even know they're being prideful. I'm sure he just thought he was being "himself."

This is why we have so many false converts in the church today.

Don't know if pride is the reason for this, but ok it might be.

Everyone wants to be seeker friendly, so much so that the Gospel isn't preached. Preachers say "come to Jesus to get a new car and solve all your problems," instead of the Gospel which is Jesus died for your sins, but if you don't repent of your sins, meaning turn away from them, you are in danger of hell. People call it "Fire & Brimstone" preaching but that's what Jesus preach to the PROUD. He gave grace to the humble. The woman caught in adultery is a perfect example. She was humble, repentant, ashamed, and repentant. Jesus showed her mercy. Now if she would've came out there all haughty like with her "man" flaunting her sin in the street, would Jesus have responded the same way? I don't think so. Jesus Himself said not to fear man who can only destroy the body, but rather fear Him who can destroy both body AND soul in Hell.

I'm witcha on this one. If I hear one more t.v. evangelist teach on prosperity I'm gonna scream. People get caught up in financial blessings. What about wholeness and wellness and joy which come from being obedient to Christ?? Without those, financial blessings are worthless.

Anyway, I know my thinking goes against the current grain but that's ok. The path is narrow, I'd rather be on the narrow path of the Gospel than the wide path of the "seeker Friendly" movement.:yep:

Refer to me as "seeking in love" on the narrow path :yep:

alexstin

Folx can't GET saved until they humble themselves before the Lord. This is why we have so many false converts in the church today. Everyone wants to be seeker friendly, so much so that the Gospel isn't preached. Preachers say "come to Jesus to get a new car and solve all your problems," instead of the Gospel which is Jesus died for your sins, but if you don't repent of your sins, meaning turn away from them, you are in danger of hell. People call it "Fire & Brimstone" preaching, but that's what Jesus preach to the PROUD. He gave grace to the humble. The woman caught in adultery is a perfect example. She was humble, repentant, ashamed, and repentant. Jesus showed her mercy. Now if she would've came out there all haughty like with her "man" flaunting her sin in the street, would Jesus have responded the same way? I don't think so. Jesus Himself said not to fear man who can only destroy the body, but rather fear Him who can destroy both body AND soul in Hell.

ETA: Did I miss where this guy came to church to repent of his sins? I'm not sure why that's your focus if he didn't even come there for that.:perplexed

I'm sorry hun but that's not the gospel.:nono: Search the scriptures, that's not what Jesus preached as the gospel. Jesus didn't preach confess your sins as the Gospel. FWIW, repent doesn't always mean remorse. If you check out the use of the word in the New Testament you will find many(most) times when the word was used people were being told to change their minds. He also didn't tell those who followed Him He was going to die for their sins. I know the church preaches that the Gospel is that Jesus died for our sins so we could be saved but search the scriptures and see what He preached. Jesus told 1 person that he needed to be born again in private(Nicodemus) and he only told His disciples that He was going to die on the cross. He never once mentioned that to all those thousands that followed him during His 3 years of ministry.

It's time for the church to stop preaching the Gospel of Jesus Christ and preach the Gospel that Jesus preached and instructed us to preach.

Last edited:

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
Both of them were wrong; the Pastor and the Transvestite.

When there is a 'family' gathering of any sort, you are going to have all sorts of lifestyles attending. That's life and it will always be that way. The Pastor behaved harshly by not giving insight to this. He should have proceeded with the service out of respect to the family rather than add more grief to an already grieving situation...the death of a loved one. Kicking this man out from having 'closure' with his uncle's death was cruel and wrong.

The Transvestite was also wrong. Stop and show respect for the events you are attending and get off of that sickening, worn out, whining about, this is the way I am. When you are a man dressing as a woman, you KNOW it going to draw attention of all sorts and reactions to go with it; ESPECIALLY in the house of God.

I KNOW of Transvestites that DO NOT cross dress where they know full well where it will cause an uprise in people's reactions. They simply act like an adult and avoid confushion and dress accordingly. It would not have killed this man to wear male attire for the small amount of time that he would be attending the funeral services.

One thing I'm noticing more and more is that alternate lifestyles are being 'FORCED' upon us who do not agree with it. If a person wants to live an alternate lifestyle, fine, that's their choice. However, don't force it in my face or try to influence my children with it. Keep it to yourself or among those who have no problems with it. But don't force me to accept it. I shouldn't have to compromise / give up my rights just for another to have theirs.

I truly believe that his actions were in direct defiance regarding the Church; he making a statement that he didn't care if it is a Church, he was going to dress the way he wanted to and nobody was going to stop him from doing so. Now, how do I know this is so? Because this is how satan operates. satan disrespects God and all that there is about Him and surely satan was behind this man's actions to walk into a Church dressing in opposite of his physical gender. This man knew what he was doing and did not care. Again, this is how satan operates.

Both parties were wrong...

Last edited:

alexstin

And when it's all said and done..where was the love? Maybe he should have offered him a shirt and pants. That would have been rebuking in love.

Okay? I don't see how what this guy did is flaunting anything.:perplexed That is who he is without the Father. Though I take issue with a man dressing like a woman, I'm not going to say you have to look presentable according to my standard before I associate with you.

alexstin

When there is a 'family' gathering of any sort, you are going to have all sorts of lifestyles attending. That's life and it will always be that way. The Pastor behaved harshly by not giving insight to this. He should have proceeded with the service out of respect to the family rather than add more grief to an already grieving situation...the death of a loved one. Kicking this man out from having 'closure' with his uncle's death was cruel and wrong.

The Transvestite was also wrong. Stop and show respect for the events you are attending and get off of that sickening, worn out, whining about, this is the way I am. When you are a man dressing as a woman, you KNOW it going to draw attention of all sorts and reactions to go with it; ESPECIALLY in the house of God.

I KNOW of Transvestites that DO NOT cross dress where they know full well where it will cause an uprise in people's reactions. They simply act like an adult and avoid confushion and dress accordingly. It would not have killed this man to wear male attire for the small amount of time that he would be attending the funeral services.

One thing I'm noticing more and more is that alternate lifestyles are being 'FORCED' upon us who do not agree with it. If a person wants to live an alternate lifestyle, fine, that's their choice. However, don't force it in my face or try to influence my children with it. Keep it to yourself or among those who have no problems with it. But don't force me to accept it. I shouldn't have to compromise / give up my rights just for another to have theirs.

I truly believe that his actions were in direct defiance regarding the Church; he making a statement that he didn't care if it is a Church, he was going to dress the way he wanted to and nobody was going to stop him from doing so. Now, how do I know this is so? Because this is how satan operates. satan disrespects God and all that there is about Him and surely satan was behind this man's actions to walk into a Church dressing in opposite of his physical gender. This man knew what he was doing and did not care. Again, this is how satan operates.

Can you define what you mean by forcing it on you? Thanks!

Mocha5

Okay? I don't see how what this guy did is flaunting anything.:perplexed That is who he is without the Father. Though I take issue with a man dressing like a woman, I'm not going to say you have to look presentable according to my standard before I associate with you.

oh I see..lol....thought you were saying something else. Had to reread it. We're a hot mess without Him that's for sure!!! :blush:

Last edited:

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
Can you define what you mean by forcing it on you? Thanks!
Not in this thread or the forum...I'll send you a PM with my personal (home) email address and I will share this with you privately if you want my answer. :giveheart:

Last edited:

Mocha5

See to me this goes back to hiding your sins. If a doctor doesn't know you're sick then he definitely can't treat you. IMO, the pastor was the nurse. He needed to take the patient (tranvestite) to the doctor (God) so he could be healed. But instead he chose to throw him out of the hospital (church) cause he didn't have any insurance! Now what's gonna happen? Unfortunately, his spirit man will probably die because he didn't recive what he needed.

I've come to learn that my power is in prayer. I see the path for this world and where it's leading too. The only thing that I can do is use it as a teaching tool for my children. Everyday, it's something new.

I'm sure satan was just as tickled that the pastor kicked him out. Surely his soul was not saved that day.

Mocha5

Not in this thread or the forum...I'll send you a PM with my personal (home) email address and I will share this with you privately if you want my answer. :giveheart:

HEY!!!! I want it toooo!!!! :grin:

ETA: Not the answer...just your personal info. I need you there when I give my first sermon and leave this couch :lachen:

StrawberryQueen

Well, I'm of two minds. On one hand we arent to give place to evil. There are scriptures that speak to men and women dressing like the opposite sex. Christianity embraces all people, but it isnt tolerent in the aspect that anything goes just because you can be forgiven for it, and flaunting unrepentant behavior in the face of God?
Hmmm, but wasn't/hasn't the same thing regarding wearing things that pretain to the opposte sex also include women who wear pants? There are plenty of people and demoninations that prohibit women from wearing pants because they are of the opposite sex and not made for women. If he kicked out all the women in pants-would it still be the same?

And how do we know he is unrepentant? Do any of us know his heart? Or even why he was in the dress in the 1st place? It's interesting people consider certain things "flaunting." Is it because it doesn't fall into line of what you believe that it's flaunting? What happened to letting folks be themselves and coming to the Lord as they are and letting God handle them?

Jesus is love, point blank. What you've said isn't rooted in anything remotely clsoe to that. Thank God for Jesus!
I agree with everything you've said in the thread.

Enchantmt

I agree, folx cant get saved until they humble themselves, but I'm assuming that has been done in order to get saved as part of the process of getting saved is confessing sin and Jesus as your lord and savior. They need to see the need to get saved, get saved, and then God can deal with them about things in their lives that arent pleasing to Him. Growing as a Christian is a process. A newly saved person will still have the same thoughts and desires and worldly mind until they can renew their minds in the word of God, so I stand by what I say... get them saved first...and then they have the power of the Holy Spirit to deal with the rest of their baggage.

Enchantmt

ETA: Did I miss where this guy came to church to repent of his sins? I'm not sure why that's your focus if he didn't even come there for that.:perplexed

I'm sorry hun but that's not the gospel.:nono: Search the scriptures, that's not what Jesus preached as the gospel. Jesus never preached to the thousands of people following Him that they needed to repent nor did He tell them He was going to die for their sins. I know the church preaches that the Gospel is that Jesus died for our sins so we could be saved but search the scriptures and see what He preached. Jesus told 1 person that he needed to be born again in private(Nicodemus) and he only told His disciples that He was going to die on the cross. He never once mentioned that to all those thousands that followed him during His 3 years of ministry.

It's time for the church to stop preaching the Gospel of Jesus Christ and preach the Gospel that Jesus preached and instructed us to preach.

I agree he was there for a funeral, and not repentance but I dont see how repentance is not a biblical doctrine. Jesus always told folx to go and sin no more. (repent) Unless someone is willing to turn away from sin (repent) how are they supposed to get in fellowship with God? Jesus died for our sins, but we are still instructed to confess our sins to God and repent of our sins.