Paging Carefree: Trim Methods

inthepink

Carefree,

I'm always checking out your hair album. You have beautiful hair. How did you learn to trim your hair so well? You have trimmed it so nicely in layers and evenly. What is your secret? If I could trim my hair that well, I would no longer stress about going to a hairstylist. Please share as many tips as you have!

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
Carefree your hair is beautiful and you do a wonderful job at trimming.

I liked your album so much that I made you one of my friends!!

I will be checking back often.

Carefree

Thanks hairlove and DSD, you guys have beautiful hair as well /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Carefree,

I'm always checking out your hair album. You have beautiful hair. How did you learn to trim your hair so well? You have trimmed it so nicely in layers and evenly. What is your secret? If I could trim my hair that well, I would no longer stress about going to a hairstylist. Please share as many tips as you have!

[/ QUOTE ]

Hairlove, I have to say it took alot of practice to finally be able to trim my hair to my liking (and sometimes I'm still not satisfied with my own trims). Back when I was texturized and used to go the salon regularly, I used to really pay attention when my stylist trimmed my hair. I practiced on myself, my sisters and my mom (they trusted me because I always had a flair for hairstyling) and my trims became better and better each time. I have to say that I did (and still do) make mistakes /images/graemlins/perplexed.gif - but with me wearing my hair curly most of the time my minor errors aren't noticeable and grow out in time.

I'm not good at descriptions, but the best way I could describe how I trim my hair is similar to how Melanizm on nappturality trims hers. She has detailed pictures of her technique in her fotki album. I usually have my hair straighter - but the way she sections her hair is similar to the way I do mines.

The only reason why I went to a stylist for trims a couple of times this year was because as my natural hair grew out I was dealing with certain shape issues that I felt I should leave to the professionals - for instance I was dealing with a shag and shorter hair in the middle. The stylist was able to layer my hair so that the different lengths kinda blended together. My last professional trim was in June and I've been able to maintain the shape myself since then. So if you feel there are certain issues you can't handle by trimming yourself, don't hesitate to go to a professional. I think ocassionally everyone needs that one good professional trim/shaping and then it's easier to maintain yourself.

Now that I'm trying more roller-sets nowadays I haven't trimmed while in twists in a while. But this is a good technique to fall back on during my lazy hair modes.

I just trimmed my hair 2 weeks ago - I plan to dust in 8-10 weeks and I'll try to take instructive pictures. Thanks again and I hope this information was helpful /images/graemlins/wave.gif (sorry so long).

P.S. You probably already know this but make sure you have scissors that are just for trimming, and make sure they are sharp! With my last trim my scissors were dull (I didn't know until I started cutting) and I had some difficulties. I've learned my lesson!