For those that do their own trims....

candycane

How do you do it??? I last had my hair trimmed 2 days before Thanksgiving and during that time I have had one relaxer touch up. I don't want to go back to the hair stylist that did my trim, because she performed a cut rather than a trim. /images/graemlins/mad.gif Inches were cut!!! Right now my ends are looking pretty thin and beat up so I know a trim is definitely needed. Those experienced in the art of trims, please provide me some tips. BTW--I should mention that my hair is actually cut in layers, so that creates a challenge as well.

Candycane

it's been quite a while, but when i was trimming my own hair i would actually blow dry it all over. then i would curl it with the curling iron. as i parted it to curl, i would dust the ends of each part, then curl. that worked well for a couple of years. it wasn't perfect, but i NEVER cut more than i intended to. lol! then i found someone that i could trust. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

adrienne

Hi, candycane. My hair is layered too and I'm scared
to have it trimmed by a hairstylist (don't have anyone I can trust right now).

Therefore, I've been doing trims myself since last summer.

I trimmed my hair about a week or two ago. This is what I did:

I washed my hair, conditioned, rinsed. I sectioned my hair in a few sections
and combed out smaller sections (as if I were going to rollerset).

I combed a "small section" out smooth and observed the condition of the ends, sometimes I only cut about 1/2 inch of the hair off. In other sections that looked more wispy and raggedy, I cut up to 1 inch.

I made sure that I cut roughly the same amounts on each SIDE of my head, so I wouldn't end up with a loop-sided style. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I always made sure to cut the 1 inch pieces off straight across. Even though for the 1/2 inch trims I sometimes just "dusted".

The result? After rollersetting and drying. My ends looked SO MUCH HEALTHIER. No major drama and I can hardly tell I cut 1/2-1 inch.
The difference in length is barely noticeable.

I think if you trim your hair in small sections you should be fine. Just don't cut too much. And use a good sharp pair of hair scissors.

Candycane, BlkMane is right about using a good, sharp pair of hair scissors. Using scissors not designed for hair that have been lying around the house can do more harm than good and actually cause split ends.

BlkMane, how have you been? /images/graemlins/wave.gif Dont' be a stranger!

Hi, KitKat! (by the way, I love KitKat chocolate bars) /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'm well. Just haven't been on the boards as much because of
other commitments. But I jump on as much as I can.

Hi ladies-

I know this is an old thread, but I'm doing a retouch on Sunday and plan on trimming my ends. I don't think I'll have any problem with the front and sides, but what about the back? How do you ladies trim the ends in the back? Please help
confused.gif

Thanks-
LaKisha

Is your hair natural or relaxed?
When I did my trims (I'm natural) I would twist or braid my hair and cut a little off the ends. It didn't matter if my hair was even or not because I don't wear it straight.

My hair is relaxed. I wear it in a bun most of the time, but would like to have my ends even in case I want to wear my hair straight. It sounds like I'm going to have to recruit my mom to help me with the back.

Thanks!

My hair needs a professional trim, but I just don't want to let go of it!
nono.gif
The ends aren't split (I don't think), it's just that the last time I trimmed my hair, I kinda chip-chopped it, and made the ends look more scraggly. Gosh, I am so stupid.
wallbash.gif

Hopefully in another 2 or 3 touch-ups, I'll be bra-strap length, and then I'll have a teeny bit chipped off.
scratchchin.gif

I pretty much did what Adrienne said she did in the past. My hair has always been uneven(layered), and I would just grab sections and take off ONLY what needed trimmed. I have never been very intimidated about trimming my hair...if it is uneven, I am just like "oh well". That is prolly not the best attitude to have, but I just want healthy ends, I'll work on having even hair sometime maybe..
ohwell.gif

Back