Paging Allandra and other daily rinsers

inthepink

Allandra, I know you mentioned before that you sometimes rinse with conditioner without manipulating your hair. I'm looking for clarification though - do you leave your hair in a ponytail/bun? Apply the conditioner on wet or dry hair? Do you still have to detangle? How long does it take for start to finish?

For anyone else who also does a daily rinse - do you take your hair out of its ponytail? I wondering if I can get away with rinsing my hair by applying conditioner but leaving it in a ponytail to avoid the entire detangling process every day. Thinking that since it's in the ponytail, I can just rinse straight back - get out of the shower, gently comb back the strays, quickly detangle the ponytail and put back up in a bun.

Any opinions, suggestions and comments are welcome!

pebbles

bump

Allandra

I went to bed early last night. Therefore, I'm just getting to your thread.

I don't manipulate my scalp. I definitely manipulate my hair.
There's no way I could do a conditioner rinse while my hair is in a bun or a ponytail.
I either apply conditioner to dry hair or apply conditioner to wet hair (either way, I get the same results). When water touches my hair, I always detangle it. It doesn't take long (although I've never timed it - because I'm in the shower taking a shower either before, in between or afterwards).

Nyambura

surfer girl
I do pretty much the same as Allandra. I have to take my hair out of its braid/bun for my conditioner washes. The washes last only as long as my shower.

inthepink

How long then does it take to detangle? I guess I am trying to decrease my in-shower detangle time and out of shower detangle time so that I can add maybe 20 minutes in the morning for a rinse. I will probably try braiding my hair in one big braid and rinsing that way so there won't be much to detangle.

I would still continue with my weekly co wash and weekly shampoo wash - just want to add a rinse or two to keep my hair fresher-looking but without having to go through the every step!

Nyambura

surfer girl
Ummmm...I guess your question is directed to Allandra and any other daily rinsing long-hairs b/c I'm trying to catch up with your length, Hairlove!
Since I don't have to deal with as much hair (mine is between my shoulder blades), it doesn't take long at all to detangle in the shower. Combing my hair in the same direction as the shower water flows releases the tangles. It's much easier on my tenderhead than waiting to detangle post-shower. hth!

TinyT

Hey Hairlove,

When i had 2 textures going on, it took me a long time to detangle, even under a shower head with my hair going in one direction. What helped alot it sectioning my hair before I got into the shower. I used the little satin scrunchies, and sectioned my hair in quadrants. Then I sectioned each quadrant into 2 sections. So I had 8 sections of hair that were kept separate by the little satin scrunchees. Then when i got into the shower, I would take down one section and apply conditoner, and kinda squeeze it into the length of the hair. Then I put the scrunchee back, and did the next section and so on. By the time I finished with the last section in the front, it was time to rinse the first section I worked with in the back. I rinse that section and put the scrunchee back on, and so on.

When I had two textures this took maybe 20-25 minutes, maybe longer. But now with just my natural hair it takes maybe 10 minutes to do. Things that make the difference are the shower comb to help detangle, the pressure from the stream of water to help detangle, a conditoner that moisturizes as well as detangles ( I use kenra too), and having the hair already sectioned and detangled with fingers before I jump in the shower. When I am done, I just go back and 2 strand twist the 8 sections with some shea butter or the Healthy Hair butter, and let it dry like that. I get incredible moisture and shine this way. So if you hadn't tried it, maybe sectioning would help decrease your detangle time. I don't just use the sectioning method for rinses, I do this when I wash too, because I have very coily hair. To modify the method for washing, I actually massage the scalp in that section with the shampoo or conditioner, instead of just squeezing it into the length. I hope this helped a bit.

Tracy

inthepink

Thanks, Tracy!
Yes, I already section my hair off when doing my weekly co wash and my shampoo wash. I'm just trying to find a quick method for rinsing. I go through so much after washing - it easily takes me at least 45 minutes to do my hair start to finish. Trying to find a shortcut but there probably isn't one. I'm going to try rinsing with a braid and I'll report back!

Thanks for the responses!

TinyT

Yeh, let me know how that works out. I bet that for a rinse, it would give you a fresh look but not need much manipulation since it already in the braid.

Allandra

While I'm rinsing the conditioner out of my hair, I use my shower comb and comb my hair at that time (rinsing conditioner out and detangling all in one). This only takes me a few minutes. Immediately afterwards, I put products on my hair and place my hair in a bun (I do all of this in the shower).

inthepink

Allandra,

I have a hard time combing straight back - for one, my hair is too long for me to reach all the way back with the comb! And then, of course, I have problems with tangles unless I section my hair off with all of the new growth. :/

I am going to try adding products in the shower though. Do you have a fog-free mirror?

Allandra

Hairlove,

I don't comb my hair straight back.
My hair is always parted when I do this (either in the middle or on the side). My hair is also too long to do that.

Allandra

I don't have a fog free mirror. HOWEVER, someone posted a couple of 'tricks' to keep the mirror from fogging during shower time (which is exactly what I did). I will bump that thread for you.