Overprocessing and overlapping texlaxed hair

Napp

Ms. Nobody
I would like to do a corrective texlax. I did some strand tests and i found that 5 mins with a mild relaxer will release the curl to my satisfaction. The end result will still not be bone straight. If i relax hair that has been relaxed but not straight will i over process the hair? Also when i do my roots and i overlap the ng and the texlaxed hair will i over process the hair?if you texlax is overlapping not as big of a deal when touching up the root?

I guess i am not to clear on what exacly overprocessing is. I do not want to wear my texlaxed texture airdried.

Nonie

Napp, the question you ask is part of why I am not relaxed. I hated the fear or overlap and underprocessing.

I do think texlaxing is very tricky since you basically use guesswork to determine when the relaxer has been in your hair long enough. If you have worked that out to be 5 minutes on natural hair, if you're considering applying it to relaxed hair that you want to change the texture just a bit, it'd mean using it for less time so it matches the natural hair, and yes, there's a chance of getting it straight. :whyme:

This probably doesn't give you much help under the circumstances but in another thread where people were talking about texlaxing or texturizing, I personally shared that I'd opt for a texturizer because it's been created to be on your hair for a set time and it loosens the curl. No guesswork; just follow instructions and you get what you want.

Anyway, as far as overlap, is there a way to apply something like Vaseline over the relaxed part at the demarcation? I know I'm talking out my butt coz clearly I'm a fish tryna ride a bike, but I honestly have never looked back to figure out how people avoid overlap. Hopefully my redundant post has bumped the thread up so people like Crackers Phinn divachyk Supergirl and other relaxer gurus can come and help.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
Thanks for the mention Nonie. Hey Napp, I am relaxed and have my TUs done at the salon. I was underprocessed for about 4 months in 2010. The underprocessed hair resulted from my previous relaxer not straightening the hair. I did not have a corrective done, instead I waited it out and went back for TU as normally scheduled (10 - 12 weeks). The stylist pulled the relaxer through the underprocessed sections the last 5 mins of my TU to correct the texture. Sorry I wasn't more help.

Nonie

divachyk, thanks for answering to the mention. But you need to come back coz I want you to address overlap. How does your stylist avoid it, or is it just using the eyes?

Napp are you planning to do this yourself?

GIJane

Napp I have been searching the board for the same question. I am currently texlax with a few overlapping ends. It is to my understanding that one should put conditioner on the previous relax/texlax hair then put vaseline or grease on top of the conditioner. I am just a beginner so hopefully the long term relax heads can assist with this. I would also like to know this as well. Good luck.

Also, a big thanks to Nonie for helping.

Nonie

GIJane, thanks for your first paragraph. I was guessing about the Vaseline. I didn't know people really did that, nor did I know about the conditioner. Cool!

bebezazueta

There's a thread out there about how silk protein helps to protect the hair while relaxing and some were using chi silk infusion to coat their previously relaxed but that is expensive. I use the sally's knockoff instead. Here's a list of things I've done to protect my hair with success.

1) use a conditioner such as roux porosity control with a low ph and seal it in with a ceramides oil or Vaseline
2) use the relaxer pretreatment to coat strands (comes with the silken child and just for me kits) and seal with knockoff chi silk infusion
3) did either of the above and added colorful neutral protein filler (liquid protein) before sealing (best results!)

I experience absolutely little to no breakage and been relaxing my own hair for years. I only got breakage when I went to a salon from them not neutralizing my hair properly. For some reason my coarse strands can take a beating.

Hey Nonie great advice as usual!

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

MsLi@512

This is why I opted for my particular mild relaxer system even though its a no lye. It only gets my hair but so straight and I get consistent texlaxed results without all the guess work, conditioner and other protective measures. As far as overlap, I never have to worry about that either due to the mildness of the relaxer, it never effects the previously relaxed hair.
I will watch this thread to see how other ladies manage though

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
Nonie and Napp - I take precaution by applying oil of choice (usually jbco) to my hair, avoiding the ng, to protect from overlapping. Having that protective layer over the hair will help slow down the processing of chemical should it touch the relaxed hair. My stylist uses sight and skill to avoid overlap. To help assist her in this process, I spritz the ng with water the night before TU to ensure the wave pattern is visible and distinguishable from the relaxed hair.

I did not cover the hair with oil the TU when I needed her to pull the relaxer through to the underprocessed sections.

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
I have found that it is difficult to overprocess hair with a lye relaxer, especially a mild one. But I agree with the others that you can put certain types of products on previously relaxed hair to keep from overprocessing. If your hair is texlaxed, overlap probably won't cause overprocessing anyway, but it would straighten the hair out more and you might lose your texlaxed texture.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
Nonie yes i plan on doing it myself. i was planing on doing it like how divachyks relaxer was corrected. touch up the roots first and then put it on the ends for 5 mins. the 5 minutes timing was for my ends. my roots take at least 15 mins. i timed it for as long as 15 mins on the previously relaxed hair and it got straightish but when i rinsed i it curled right back up.

what i currently have in my hair is a texturizer but it didnt leave my hair feeling silky at all. rather my strands feel rough and coarse when wet and it doesnt comb out as easily as i would like which is why i am using a relaxer this time. i went to the salon asking for a relaxer but not to make it bone straight so she told me what i wanted was a texturizer. i wish i had just done it myself. not only that, the area around my edges are bone straight because she was overzelous with smoothing.:sad:

my plan was to do the roots for 15 mins smoothing with my fingers only and putting the relaxer on the ends and edges for the last 3-5 minutes smoothing only the back(which was barley processed).

since i am going over the ends i dont think it would be wise to cover up the ends with grease or anything like that.the relaxer is also pretty weak so i dont plan on diluting it. i havent had sucess with diluted relaxer.

but i was essentially wondering:

since texlaxing is under processing, is it possible to overprocess the hair if you keep putting the relaxer over hair that has been texlaxed but it still doesnt get straight? i hope that makes sense. does overprocessing come from level of straightness or the amount of times hair gets in contact with chemicals?