Opinion and question about weave

I'm relaxed and midback length and am thinking about a chin length sewn in weave in a bob cut just to try on a new look.I wont cut my hair to my chin even if i like it though because im going for waist length. my friend's mother will do it for 50 but i still have to buy the hair. Is that a good price? She tells me to buy perm straight in 12 inches. Can the weave damage my hair? How should I take care of it? Does anyone recommend that I leave my hair alone and not do this.I hope if i decide to do it it comes out nice though. Anyone exprerience tremendous growth in a weave?
confused.gif
Thanks for responses in advance. Im sure i have more questions for you ladies sinc ive never put weaves or extensions into my hair and im scared.

$50 is a very god price for a full-head weave which can run from $90 and up plus the cost of your hair. With your own hair, it would be like 70 or so.

The weave can damage your hair in a few ways:

- The weight of the weave can break your hair off if it's already weakened or fine. Also, how tight she puts it in matters.
- The chemicals used to process the weave hair can also cause breakage.
-A lot of women do not wash their hair while wearing a weave for fear of messing it up. This causes the new growth that you gained to matt up. In the end you have breakage and you may need to cut it.

Now that I've scared you lol I'll tell you my weave experience. I did gain growth (quite a bit). As for care, I used gentle shampoos, making sure to get between the cornrows, using a light conditioner (heavy ones can cause build up) and I made sure I moisturized. You can use braid spary on your roots. Make sure you wash your hair often and do not try to sleep with it wet. This can cause mildew (ewww...). My friend did it often and it wasn't pretty. Try roller setting and hood dryers.

HTH!

I don't know much about weaves---okay I don't know ish about weaves except that I wish I had the guts to wear one!

I think wearing a weave would be a great idea! It sounds like a great way to try out a new and temporary style. it sounds like it may also be a good way to give your hair a break.

smile.gif

adding to what jazz said, i think that giving yo hair a break is a very good thing to do BUT you may cause it to break by wearing the weave if its not taken care of
smile.gif

i dont kno what it is wit weaves but i notice that wen i get them i get tremedous hair growth that i dont get wit braids or any other way
frown.gif

I've had a weave one time, and it was a really good experience. Got an inch growth at least, and I had it in for only 3 weeks!
shocked.gif
And $50 is an EXTREMELY decent price, in any part of this country. But, just remember this:

1. Buy a good weave! By this, I mean don't buy anything that tangles easily. Feel the hair, while you're in the store. Shake it around and see if it starts to clump and frizz and produce a ton of fly-aways. If so, it probably ain't good.
nono.gif

2. Use a gentle shampoo while they are in. This helps prevent the hair from tangling and matting. Creme of Nature should work fine.
3. Don't mistakenly tug and pull at your hair, because you still have your hair underneath, and you don't want to be yanking on the cornrow.
4. Try to get them done a few weeks after you've had a touch-up, or when you have a lot of new growth (just assuming that your hair is relaxed). That way, you won't have to worry too much about the cornrow unraveling and the track slipping.
5. Treat it with loving care as you would your own. Weaves can be very fun!
smile.gif

Karonica:

Great tips...and $50 is an excellent price. I just paid $75 + $15 for a tip.

I love wearing a weave.

shocked.gif
$50 dollars??!!!??

OK shoot me now I'm clueless....

I was in jamaica this past summer for vacation amd I've never worn a weave in my life but I thought it might be fun to sport one for the 2 weeks I was there..

I was charged $400 american for the service and $200 for the hair... frankly I figured this was a good deal cause from what I've heard weaves cost $800-1000+! I live in hillbillycountry and my family is the only black family for a 200 mile radius lol
look.gif
so ya'll have to forgive me for not knowing these things.....
ohwell.gif

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
emgurl said:
shocked.gif
$50 dollars??!!!??

OK shoot me now I'm clueless....

I was in jamaica this past summer for vacation amd I've never worn a weave in my life but I thought it might be fun to sport one for the 2 weeks I was there..

I was charged $400 american for the service and $200 for the hair... frankly I figured this was a good deal cause from what I've heard weaves cost $800-1000+! I live in hillbillycountry and my family is the only black family for a 200 mile radius lol
look.gif
so ya'll have to forgive me for not knowing these things.....
ohwell.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Were you happy with the results? I mean that must be one bad weave! Next time buy you a plane ticket and come to the States and get it done if you're gonna drop six hundred.

I'll admit $50 is a good price. When all is said in done, I pay around $200 for mine. I pay $75 a bag for my hair and I'll use a bag and a half but the hair I use is really really good. The african braiders will put it in for $60 if you bring your hair and $110 if they have to supply it and they don't style.

But $600 is a lot. Did you take notes? I learned how to do my own. But I don't mind plopping down the $60 to have them do it for me when I get lazy.

But on the serious tip.. don't pay that kind of money again unless you just really have to.
smile.gif

I have never worn a weave, but I can tell you about a lady at my job. She has long hair, and she likes to sport a short style every once in a while. She wears wigs, and they seem to keep her hair in good condition. When she wears a wig, she puts her hair in four braids. HTH.

Well the weave wasnt something I really wanted or needed to have.

It was kind of a spur of the moment thing. The lady who did it looked like one of those snotty high priced b!t$hes.. lol
Thanks for keeping an eye on my wallet, but you can holla at my mother for tossing her mulla around,not me.. she paid for mine and hers (both the same price) to get them done.:D

Crystal:

What type of hair do you buy? I am wearing Beverly Johnson now and I am thinking about Custom Crowns from Atlanta.

Meinzzfuture, I think Free2beme also wore a weave before with really good results. I remember her posting that on a thread some months ago. If you page her or send a PM you can probably get more info.

auntybe said:
Crystal:

What type of hair do you buy? I am wearing Beverly Johnson now and I am thinking about Custom Crowns from Atlanta.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never used either one of those brands... I'm a check them out... but I purchase from either adorable hair do or the hair factory.
smile.gif

Sometimes you get what you pay for. I have worn weaves in the past and have been charged $150. I would suggest going to a professional for the sewn in weave. Sometimes amauters leave a big hump in the middle of the head. I would acutally suggest getting a chin length wig. It is hard to keep your hair clean with a sewn in weave.

sbaker said:
Sometimes you get what you pay for. I have worn weaves in the past and have been charged $150. I would suggest going to a professional for the sewn in weave. Sometimes amauters leave a big hump in the middle of the head. I would acutally suggest getting a chin length wig. It is hard to keep your hair clean with a sewn in weave.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wondered what that hump was about. I see A LOT of women with that hump in their head on the subway. Is a sewn in weave really bad? I will be weaving soon and I refuse to let them add glue to my hair. There are ways to keep it clean with it sewn in thought right?

Karonica said:
400 DOLLARS FOR A WEAVE? 200 DOLLARS EXTRA FOR THE HAIR?
shocked.gif

*faints*

[/ QUOTE ]

ARE YOU OK??
*picking you up*
wink.gif

i'm currently wearing a weave. my hair is out in the front and blended into the weave. the rest of my hair is loose and the weave is sewn in through a hairnet. i really like this technique because i can get to my hair easily and i can still oil my scalp (i like using essential oils). my hair is not lumpy either.
i currently have a relaxer but i'm able to stretch my retouches because of the weave. it's a great protective style for me. i have it redone once a month. by that time my scalp is feelin itchy. i would not want to go any longer than that. i like to have my hair washed and deep conditioned during that time.
by the way, i only pay $50 a visit. i think that is a great price. my stylists charges me that even if she relaxes my hair before putting the weave in. she usually relaxes my edges each month too.

Back