On the fence . . .

Kurlee

Hey ladies im a long time lurker and have finally joined. I was hoping you could give me some advice about texturizing. I'm a 4a natural for 2.5 years with shoulder blade length hair. I like my natural texture when it's wet, but when it dries its a different story. The shrinkage drives me insane. My hair shrink to like my ears IF i'm lucky, but when its wet with products i have the prettiest, shiny spirals, deep waves and and ringlets (like a finger combed straw set) but once it dries it gets fuzzy, dull and very shrunken!!! Im rocking braids right now out of frustration, cuz i don't want to grow my hair down to my butt for it to show some length> i want to texturize but idon't want to lose too much texture and i don't want it to be processed/straight looking. Is it possible to texturize so that it will look how my hair is when its's wet when its dry???

Thanx in advance

IF THIS IS WHAT YOU REALLY WANT TO DO THEN DO A STRAND TEST FIRST ALL OVER UR HEAD. FIND OUT THE TIME THAT WORKS BEST FOR WHAT YOU WANT.
I HAVE PICTURES OF MY TEX HAIR IN MY ALBUM AND U CAN PM ME FOR THE PASSWORD.

karamel11 said:
Hey ladies im a long time lurker and have finally joined. I was hoping you could give me some advice about texturizing. I'm a 4a natural for 2.5 years with shoulder blade length hair. I like my natural texture when it's wet, but when it dries its a different story. The shrinkage drives me insane. My hair shrink to like my ears IF i'm lucky, but when its wet with products i have the prettiest, shiny spirals, deep waves and and ringlets (like a finger combed straw set) but once it dries it gets fuzzy, dull and very shrunken!!! Im rocking braids right now out of frustration, cuz i don't want to grow my hair down to my butt for it to show some length> i want to texturize but idon't want to lose too much texture and i don't want it to be processed/straight looking. Is it possible to texturize so that it will look how my hair is when its's wet when its dry???

Thanx in advance

Hi,

I'm texturized, I don't have any pictures online anymore, but texturizing will bring out the curl or wave pattern that you already have in your hair, so if you have a tendency towards spirals in your hair then it will stretch the hair into this pattern.....so, if you imagine a coiled spring for example and how it looks if you pull it...texturizing will bring out the same kind of pattern dependeng on your hair type.

The key to getting the desired result is timing on application.....to bring out the waves, use s-curl activator or a similar type of product to encourage the hair to wave up and form the curl/wave pattern.

When texturized, you will still get shrinkage, but your hair is a lot more manageable and you can blow dry or flat iron it to get the bone straight look if that is what you like.

HTH

Thanx Ladies. I was thinking of going to curve, but some of their after pics aren't so hot, their prices are ASTRONOMICAL and most of their before pics are people with 3b/c hair so the change is really all that dramatic. I like the look of model_chicks hair!!! It's sooooooooooo hawt! Has anyone every experienced bad touchups that made your hair eventually go straight? I been told if u get one bad touchup, you're SOL.

Welcome to the board! I also texturized at my 2.5 year mark back in 2003. The only problem was she left it on for too long in the front and I had a few straight ends (had it done at a Dominican salon). My hair is very dense and thick. The texturizer made my hair so much more manageable and very easy to detangle. My twistouts, braidouts, rollersets, and presses were always fabulous. I really did love it. Why transition again? I felt like I really didn't give my natural hair a chance. Plus, I hated those straight ends. I recently ran into my old hairstylist and she told me that she has been texturizing her sister's hair for the past six years. I told her that I really didn't want to go that route again. But, I keep having visions of my perfect twistouts that lasted all week instead of 2-3 days. Also, every since my husband cut his locs, he's been throwing hints for me to wear my hair the same way when we met (straight) more often. To shut him up, I'm getting a press next week (haven't done that in a year!). Sorry for so long, but I guess I'm a little on the fence as well? :confused: Maybe some other ladies will chime in...

i think if you are a 4a and want curly hair you have to go the route of the s-curl texturizer not the mild perm rinsed out early. the bad thing about that is if you want to perm straight you have to big chop. I really wanted my text to look like DEN1 (my hair idol) but if you look at the pic of her hair at the nape of her neck and my hair the texture is different. its kind of like what you have determines what you get

With texturizers its all about timing so i co-sign the strand test, i feel like i'm in need of a corrective text. myself

Whuts the difference with the s-curl type texturizer and a mild relaxer, and does anyone have anyone curve experiences, cuz im really contemplating shelling out hte cash to try it

karamel11 said:
Whuts the difference with the s-curl type texturizer and a mild relaxer, and does anyone have anyone curve experiences, cuz im really contemplating shelling out hte cash to try it

I'm texturized as well, you can go to my album, my info's in my profile (go to length album). THere are definates pros and cons of being texturized.

The pros are:
more defined curl pattern
ability to wear hair straight or curly
ability to apply permanent hair color since the bond is not completely broken down
You can still get braids if you want
longer stretch or touch-up times ( I get my touch-ups twice a year)
Easier detangling
wash and go hair

The cons are:
Detangling can still be an issue if you don't know how to handle your hair
If your stylist does not know what they are doing then you can end up with over or underprocessed hair
You must always deep treat your hair (that's a given)
Finding products that define curls without being greasy can be difficult at first but when you find the right combos of products you'll be happy.

If you are interested in getting your texturizer done and you live in NYC area, I don't suggest going to curves cause they are so expensive...there are several salons that do this in NYC for far more affordable prices. Texturizers, aka silkners, wash and go are becoming more and more popular and different salons are finally beginning to see this. You can call Jazma (go to Jazma.com) and they will reccommend a trained stylist within your hair to perform this service for you. I would call around before spending $275 for a fancy relaxer (based on your length, Curve's automatically charges $150 for shoulder length and below, this does not include cut and style).:)

karamel11 said:
Thanx Ladies. I was thinking of going to curve, but some of their after pics aren't so hot, their prices are ASTRONOMICAL and most of their before pics are people with 3b/c hair so the change is really all that dramatic. I like the look of model_chicks hair!!! It's sooooooooooo hawt! Has anyone every experienced bad touchups that made your hair eventually go straight? I been told if u get one bad touchup, you're SOL.
Yep, that happened to me, a silly stylist went and processed my newgrowth BONE straight instead of curly, and it caused breakage because of the inconsistent textures, that's why i'm transitioning since last November, i really hoped to keep the curly look. oh well, maybe in the future sometime.

Hello Karamel this is a great thread because I have had the same question for months now-
But for everyone else what are some products we can use to enhance and PROLONG the curls and waves us naturals have when our hair is wet??
:confused:

I live in the NYC area and was told that i had to wait a minimum of one month for a hair appointment.(Curve salon) Later for that. In the meantime I did a strand test with affirm fibergaurd mild. Then I applied in 4 sections, one at a time. (5 mins max for my hair) I'm very pleased with the curl definition. It's still kinky enough to look natural and it has more weight. I also have high color in my hair.

Back