Votes: 26 40.6%
  • 3 months +

Votes: 16 25.0%
  • I didn't work for me

Votes: 14 21.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

KurlyNinja

So, I have only been taking Biotin for 5 days now! Seriously five days! I've had to cut my nails EVERYDAY since I started taking it. I like to keep my nails short for easier typing. But my nails are as strong as bricks! But the thing I want you all to see is my hair line!!!!

I had two bald spots near the temples of my hair line from relaxers and over use of flat irons. Since I started my hair journey about 3 months ago, they haven't really improved, but they haven't gotten worse either (THANK GOD!). I don't have any before pictures because I didn't think biotin would work this quick if at all, but the pictures I do have will help to show some of my progress.

My right side has filled in as well, but not as fast as my left. My left side looked more like this a week ago.

Right Side:

And here is my left side:

I'm not just losing it right????

Please don't look at my unruly eyebrows. I usually get them done weekly, but they grew in extra fast this week. Oh and btw my acne is disappearing?

Where has Biotin been all my life??

Calia001

i'm happy for you!!! i bought some grease at an african street festival that has biotin in it i'm hoping my hair starts mooving

Eiano

Congrats!! If it works for you it works for you!

For me I get these *hard* painful bumps on my face, I've yet to see a real difference in my hair yet, but we'll see. :)

KurlyNinja

I added a poll because I wanted to know exactly how fast Biotin worked for everybody and that I'm not just some sort of freak case!

4evershika

Good for you!!

For me, I had to be consistent w/ biotin for months before I saw an increase in growth.

Tif392002

it took 3 months plus for me to see the results of biotin. i would say it works, but thats with taking them regularly over a period of months, i started taking biotin in aug of 09, didnt see significant results until january.

ms.blue

pros: hair and nails grew a lot

cons: ALL hair grew and cause bumps on my acne prone face.

Studio_gal

When I took it - my nails grew really strong and fast, within days. My eyebrows and bikini area grew really quickly but it had no effect on the hair on my head. After 2 months use - I got spots/bumps on my face so I stopped.

My skin is more important than my hair.

BoaterGirlKim

I voted a month. I've been taking biotin for several months now but was only taking 1,000 mcg a day. About a month ago I upped it to 4,000 to 5,000 mcg a day and wow! My hair has really taken off. In combination with daily cowashing and wet bunning I've seen pretty fast growth, and I consider myself a slow grower. I do get the creepy/crawly scalp feeling now that some others have experienced with biotin use but no itching, and I haven't had any skin breakouts. I've noticed the scalp sensation seems more pronounced if I drink soda (weird?), but that's rare since I mainly drink water.

Eclass215

I voted that it didn't work for me. I feel like it did the exact opposite - nails were brittle, don't really know if it helped my hair. I didn't get any acne, but I was also taking pre-natal vitamins also. I stopped with the bitoin after the bottle was done. I guess it has different effect on different people. I'm glad it's working for you though!!! Kepp on keepin on!

HauteHippie

I took biotin, but quit b/c of the many hard, painful bumps it caused on my face. I did notice extra growth within a month, but skin trumps hair. I started taking MSM along with extra calcium and it helped, but then I just finished my bottle and went for a hair/nails supplement with biotin included. I'm thinking about taking biotin, again (maybe I was just overdoing it before?). How much biotin do ya'll take?

Also, that month I experienced extra growth and my edges filling in was the same month I used a Mega Tek/Miconazole Nitrate mix. So, I'm not sure which contributed to the growth the most (though I'd put my money on the mix).

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
OP: Which brand do you use?

Also, for those who are acne prone, make sure you drink tons of water. The biotin may have detox side affects, which explains the breakouts. But drinking water helps tremendously. :yep:

greight

I'm an off and on user of biotin. I started using it in January, didn't really see any results until the end of February... Basically grew half an inch, which is fine by me. 6+ inches in a year would be awesome.

I got off because of the bumps (I took it with a B50 complex), but I was also pretty stressed from work. I'm back on it now, though, since I think my bumps now were stress-related since it hasn't dissipated yet.

KurlyNinja

OP: Which brand do you use?

Also, for those who are acne prone, make sure you drink tons of water. The biotin may have detox side affects, which explains the breakouts. But drinking water helps tremendously. :yep:

Just the generic brand from the Vitamin Shoppe

I've also started drinking nearly a gallon of water a day because when I did research on it people said water helped with the acne caused by biotin. So... that could also have something to do with it. Its still freaking me out though!

Sequoia

I've tried biotin by itself and in a b-complex multivitamin- I started getting lots of spots even though I upped my water intake. Once I stopped, my skin went back to normal. Didn't notice a difference in hair growth
Glad it works for you though, OP.

MsChelle

Daily I take:
-5 mg Biotion
-1000mg MSM
-B- Complex (this is supposed to help combat the acne that Biotin can cause. Never been an issue for me)
-Chlorella (forget the mg at the moment)

My nails are RAPIDLY growing and stronger than ever. They have always been paper thin. My new growth is noticably thicker than it was before the supplements. So, I am a beliver that this stuff works, at least it does for me.

LilMissRed

great progress so far OP! :congrats:

hmmm I suck when it comes to taking pills like I shud, but maybe I'll dig thru my stash and give these another shot :)

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
OP, I'm a lurker. I would love to take biotin but I'm acne prone and very skeptic. I do take a daily vitamin -- prenatal vits although not preggers. I have my retin-a and duac (both prescribed by derm) but still suffer from/with acne from day to day.

Has anyone taken biotin while being in a hair slump (not paying much attention to it) but yet still have their hair grow and flourish? This then says the product works and the placebo effect is not a factor.

Do some of you believe hair growth is a product of the placebo effect when taking biotin where you convince yourself the vits are working but in essence, it may be a combination of things prompting growth? Just curious and doing my homework before making a decision to buy. I'm a newbie and just gathering facts.

TIA!

lovely_locks

I noticed hair growth about two weeks later, but I have all these hard bumps on face! You know those kind that hurt so bad, an they are like deep in the skin! I was only taking 1,000mg a day, and I also was washing my face two times a day. I stopped taking biotin for three days and my face is clearing so fast!

femmemuscle

for the bumps take a bcomplex. biotin is a part of the bcomplex family. I'm up to at least 13mg of biotin a day, with MSM.. and yes, i'm getting thick, and consistent growth - for once. I never realized how much i need this supplement. Using MSM/biotin together, there has been significant improvement in my eyebrows, skin, hair and nails.

As long as i take B complex, i don't have any acne problems.

This took about 1 year to finally see consistent results.

To be honest, the title of this thread damn near scared the crap out of me.

Last edited:

kmn1980

Emoticons don't affect me
Yep. Biotin is great. I have to trim my nails often because my hair will get hung on my nails and I've taken out a few strands that way in the past.

My Friend

for the bumps take a bcomplex. biotin is a part of the bcomplex family. I'm up to at least 13mg of biotin a day, with MSM.. and yes, i'm getting thick, and consistent growth - for once. I never realized how much i need this supplement. Using MSM/biotin together, there has been significant improvement in my eyebrows, skin, hair and nails.

As long as i take B complex, i don't have any acne problems.

This took about 1 year to finally see consistent results.

To be honest, the title of this thread damn near scared the crap out of me.

Please share your results after one year of biotin, ty

Janet'

It works for me...but I'm not sure exactly how long it took for me to tell...HHG to you, OP!

NaturalBoss

I'm glad the biotin is working for you. I was taking it for a little while a few months ago, but I didn't notice any difference.