OMG I LOVE Porosity Control! (underprocessed hair corrected)

nomadpixi

I just wanted to say a word of sincere thanks for the ladies here that directed me to use porosity control. I did a self relax on June 1, even rushed to get it done before I went to bed that evening (long story). My hair came out the best it's been! There's some background to this though:

Since about January of last year, my self relaxing has been a bit crappy-underprocessed parts, breaking edges from a sew-in weave, thin ends on already thin hair, etc. So for the last month, I have been CO washing, wet bunning with S-Curl and generally leaving my hair alone to see it that helped. It didn't seem like it was helping all that much, but the ponytail was getting thicker and I didn't even realize it. I also did an overnight conditioner 2 that month with Avocodo, Egg and Olive oil. That actually made my hair feel better almost immediately. So, come relaxer time, I sectioned my hair in four parts and applied Porosity Control by Roux on 1/2 inch parted sections (hope this makes sense). I made sure that I put it on all the hair that I DID NOT want relaxed, so I even left if off the under processed sections. I then did the relaxer, starting in the back on 1/2 inch sections, making sure that I only put it on the 1 inch of new growth. I smoothed for the recomended time, only the last 2 minutes or so, smoothing it through the underprocessed bit. I rinsed, did the conditioner with Motions Oil Silk protein conditioner and threw in a teaspoon of Porosity Control with that too, combing my hair into a high bun to keep the roots straight, then putting on a heating cap on low for about 3 minutes. I then neutralized, and conditioned again for 3 minutes with CPR, rinsed and bunned overnight wet.

SUCCESS!

With the exception of see through ends, that I'll be chopping at the end of the year, my hair looks like I've been to a Dominican Salon! Porosity Control really cut down my drying time and my hair has natural shine just on blowdrying!!! All I do now is put some jojoba on the ends and bun dry hair overnight to get really nice wavy hair. If any of this helps someone with underprocessed hair I'll be happy. Thanks Ladies!

bee

Yeah, PC makes my hair feel like silk every time I use it. When I first did it, I was experiencing a lot of shedding but when I applied PC my hair felt so smooth I thought my hair had slid off and rinsed on down the drain! It really minimized my shedding even when styling. I never tried it during the relaxing process but that's just another good excuse to use it.

Thanx for the tip!

Imani

Can someone please explain the porosity thing to me?? can hair be both either not porous enough and also overly porous? What causes these conditions??

For the past few months my hair has been dry and breaking and would not respond to the usual moisturizing conditioners (humecto,motions,etc) or to protein, actually they would make it worse. I was about to give up and cut it all off:eek: . but today i put the entire sample pack of Roux Porosity Control on my hair, combed it thru really good and sat under the dryer in a cap for 30 minutes then did motions conditoner for a while under the dryer and my hair felt soft and normal again:D :D. Well, maybe not 100% but about 85% normal.

why didn't i know about this product before???

Denim And Leather

Imani said:
Can someone please explain the porosity thing to me?? can hair be both either not porous enough and also overly porous? What causes these conditions??

For the past few months my hair has been dry and breaking and would not respond to the usual moisturizing conditioners (humecto,motions,etc) or to protein, actually they would make it worse. I was about to give up and cut it all off:eek: . but today i put the entire sample pack of Roux Porosity Control on my hair, combed it thru really good and sat under the dryer in a cap for 30 minutes then did motions conditoner for a while under the dryer and my hair felt soft and normal again:D :D. Well, maybe not 100% but about 85% normal.

why didn't i know about this product before???

If I understand correctly, porous hair is like a sponge, full of holes, and will therefore, soak up moisture like a sponge. Example, when you moisturize your hair, it will soak up the moisture and not retain it. Or when you relax your hair, it'll process much faster, which I'm guessing is more drying/damaging to the hair. Porosity control shampoo and conditioner corrects this problem by equalizing the porosity of the hair.

Here's what it says on the back of my porosity control conditioner:

Use before a chemical service to prevent chemical shock, to equalize hair porosity, and ensure predictable results.

HTH

bee

Even though I responded to this post, it reminded me that it's time for my daughter's relaxer. I'll be applying PC to her dry hair during the process.