OK, WHAT DID I DO WRONG??/

Samaria

I bought some Mane N Tail conditioner, I know alot of yall use it as a leave in... ok I put it through my sections, I put it in the front and in the back... Well I tried to comb through my hair after it dried a bit, and to make a long story short....the back was like combing through my hair after putting aphogee on and letting it dry.. I think I dont have to explain it anymore, my hair is so dry now, I think I have to re-wash it and that sucks cause I air-dry and it takes forever *sighs* anyways ladies, what did I do wrong?? Please help me.. I bought that big a** bottle and this mess better work!

Samaria said:
I bought some Mane N Tail conditioner, I know alot of yall use it as a leave in... ok I put it through my sections, I put it in the front and in the back... Well I tried to comb through my hair after it dried a bit, and to make a long story short....the back was like combing through my hair after putting aphogee on and letting it dry.. I think I dont have to explain it anymore, my hair is so dry now, I think I have to re-wash it and that sucks cause I air-dry and it takes forever *sighs* anyways ladies, what did I do wrong?? Please help me.. I bought that big a** bottle and this mess better work!

MNT should be left in your hair til ldry, then add your moisturizors and oil.

detangle b4 washing

Candy_C said:
MNT should be left in your hair til ldry, then add your moisturizors and oil.

detangle b4 washing

I detangled before washing, but my hair looked so bunched up and just the only way to describe it was plain UGH...My hair in the front was dry and on one side in the back it was dry, it was sooo DRY, it felt so unmoisturized.

I apply my NTM silk touch and keracare oil on my wet hair it helps my air-dry comes out more manageble per say, so you're saying dont add moisturizers and oil UNTIL AFTER my hair is dry?

Samaria said:
I detangled before washing, but my hair looked so bunched up and just the only way to describe it was plain UGH...My hair in the front was dry and on one side in the back it was dry, it was sooo DRY, it felt so unmoisturized.

I apply my NTM silk touch and keracare oil on my wet hair it helps my air-dry comes out more manageble per say, so you're saying dont add moisturizers and oil UNTIL AFTER my hair is dry?

no i mean dont comb out your hair till its near enough dry, thats if you NEED to comb your hair. i apply all my moisturizors after MNT straight away. but remember it IS a mild protein so be careful. but then again our hair texture is different, try askin an MNT user with your hair type and see what they do. i dont comb my hair.

edited to say - oh hold up your sig says our hair is the same. i think MNT is best when you do little to your hair or if you intend to blowdry.

Last edited:
Candy_C said:
no i mean dont comb out your hair till its near enough dry, thats if you NEED to comb your hair. i apply all my moisturizors after MNT straight away. but remember it IS a mild protein so be careful. but then again our hair texture is different, try askin an MNT user with your hair type and see what they do. i dont comb my hair.

Ok thanks, wow, I didnt think it was soo strong... I know now...

One of my friends just called me extremely upset because she had a HORRIBLE experience with Mane 'N Tail. Apparently, she used the shampoo & conditioner, and now her hair is so messed up, she has to cut it all off! She says that she used the shampoo and then the conditioner, and when her hair dried, it was just like plastered to her head and when she tried to comb it, it just wouldn't work. So she went to the salon, and her stylist tried all this stuff with her hair...deep conditions, re-washing...etc., and still could not get her hair back to normal. The styilist said it's like the Mane N' Tail totally changed the texture of her hair, and now it's all just dead ends, and she's got to cut it like Halle Berry back when she first stepped on the scene. My friend's hair had been about an inch or two past shoulder length, so I'm sure you can imagine how upset she is. Anybody got any suggestions before she goes in tomorrow to get her hair chopped off? TIA!

belladionne922 said:
One of my friends just called me extremely upset because she had a HORRIBLE experience with Mane 'N Tail. Apparently, she used the shampoo & conditioner, and now her hair is so messed up, she has to cut it all off! She says that she used the shampoo and then the conditioner, and when her hair dried, it was just like plastered to her head and when she tried to comb it, it just wouldn't work. So she went to the salon, and her stylist tried all this stuff with her hair...deep conditions, re-washing...etc., and still could not get her hair back to normal. The styilist said it's like the Mane N' Tail totally changed the texture of her hair, and now it's all just dead ends, and she's got to cut it like Halle Berry back when she first stepped on the scene. My friend's hair had been about an inch or two past shoulder length, so I'm sure you can imagine how upset she is. Anybody got any suggestions before she goes in tomorrow to get her hair chopped off? TIA!

well thats just horrendous! i didn't know a shampoo or con could do anything liek this. i'd blame it ona bad batch.

belladionne922 said:

Wow. It's interesting that shampoo and conditioner has her hair plastered to her head. Tell her to try the ORS replenishing pack. It has so much slip to it. Tell her to massage it gently and let it sit for a while; then massage gently again. Then stand under the shower for a while with a wide tooth comb and GENTLY detangle. Hopefully maybe that will work. It's less than $2 at the local drug store so it won't be a waste if it doesn't work. That's all I can offer as far as help I'm afraid.

belladionne922 said:

OMG!!! That's horrible! There has to be something. I don't get what could have happened. I don't use the products myself, but that's scary to think a shampoo and conditioner can do that :-(

i've used this stuff for a very long time, and so have many other ladie son LHCF, one of us must have the same texture as ur friend, so really and truly, tell her to take the bottles she used to trading standards or something because that simply is not right. MNT is an excellent brand and it could not possibley do that unless its been contaminated or something. take legal action!!!!!!

This kind of stuff makes me sooo nervous, cause I'm so quick to pick up something and try it on my head. I don't know what I would do if something as simple as shampoo & conditoner would cause me to cut all my hair off!!!

I'm mean, I have not problem cutting my hair and wearing it short....but WHEN I WANT TO!

:-( I really hope someone has a solution for your friend.

so1913 said:
This kind of stuff makes me sooo nervous, cause I'm so quick to pick up something and try it on my head. I don't know what I would do if something as simple as shampoo & conditoner would cause me to cut all my hair off!!!

I'm mean, I have not problem cutting my hair and wearing it short....but WHEN I WANT TO!

:-( I really hope someone has a solution for your friend.

true, my hair stylist said she used a cheap conditioner before and it took her hair right off

SO after the stylist did all that stuff to her hair, she sent her home and told her to come back the next day for a cut? Doesn't make sense to me, how did she send your friend out of the shop?

I would reccomend that your friend rinse her hair with warm water, use a clarifying shampoo, and then a deep moisturizing conditioner (with heat) for about 30 min to an hour, rinse that and try again. Unless someone put something really horrible in her Mane and Tail it shouldn't and couldn't have changed her texture. Mane and Tail has a lot of protein so some people who have hair that doesn't react well to protein will have adverse reactions, but a good clarifying and deep conditioning should put her hair on the right track...unless her stylist tried to comb it with the effects of MNT and then made her hair break in that fragile state.

belladionne922 said:

Wow that's horrible, I think that stylist just don't know what to do and her first fix is the SCISSORS. If I were your friend I would clarify like anoter suggested and DC w/heat and oils adds for about 20-30 min. Make sure she uses a gentle clarifying poo.
OT: Samaria it sounds as if you may have used too much, how much MNT did you use as a leave in? I've used it on my daughter and myself as a DC and it was very moisturizing. I like it as a leave in for her hair not mine, even though we're the same texture. I use like a nickel size on just about soaking wet hair so it distibute evenly and better, comb through and let air dry or rollerset. Maybe you can try it mixed w/another leave in like NTM.

Thanks for all the responses! I'm guessing that the stylist had to have her amke an appointment tomorrow for the cut and that today's visit was because it was such an emergency. I'm sure that the stylist was able to help some, but the way my friend explained it to me, her hair is completely shot, and is not in any kind of workable condition. I haven't seen it cuz she lives in Texas, and I'm in Washington, but there must be nothing else to do but cut it because girlfriend is not about to cut her hair if there's anything else that she can do to fix it. I did tell her about the ORS replinishing pack, and also all of the other suggestions on here. We'll see what happens. Thanks again for all your help, ladies!

P.S. I did suggest that she think about taking some sort of legal action. ;)

belladionne922 said:

Sounds like what happened to me, I am still having to continuously deep condition and use moisturizers, my hair still seems to be dry, its so messed up. I think Imma sell my bottle

BeautifulWideEyes said:
Wow that's horrible, I think that stylist just don't know what to do and her first fix is the SCISSORS. If I were your friend I would clarify like anoter suggested and DC w/heat and oils adds for about 20-30 min. Make sure she uses a gentle clarifying poo.
OT: Samaria it sounds as if you may have used too much, how much MNT did you use as a leave in? I've used it on my daughter and myself as a DC and it was very moisturizing. I like it as a leave in for her hair not mine, even though we're the same texture. I use like a nickel size on just about soaking wet hair so it distibute evenly and better, comb through and let air dry or rollerset. Maybe you can try it mixed w/another leave in like NTM.

I think I used two dime sized portions on my hair.

I know for me that MNT did not work at all! I tried every which way and it still leaves my hair dry & straw-like. I don't like it. I am gonna have to give the bottle away.

Ladies, if I felt like something truly messed up/damaged my hair, especially something as simple as a shampoo and conditioner.....rather than it "not work well" on my hair....I would NEVER pass it on to anyone else...

Please throw away your bottles just in case it is a bad batch:-(

Last edited:
qtgirl said:
Mane and Tail has a lot of protein so some people who have hair that doesn't react well to protein will have adverse reactions, but a good clarifying and deep conditioning should put her hair on the right track...unless her stylist tried to comb it with the effects of MNT and then made her hair break in that fragile state.

ITA. MNT are heavy protein based products. Keep in mind that it also can be used on animal hair (coats and hides)--so it does carry a certain extra level of ingredient potency because the animal hair can probably take it better than our little hair fibers. :lol:

Samaria, you using it as a leave in is probably what caused you the tangly breakage. I also use MNT, but only when my hair is terribly protein deficient. I never use the conditioner as a leave in because it is much too potent for my hair-- even when I'm rinsing it out. Many times, I don't even use the shampoo/conditioner combo together at all. They are much too protein rich. For the protein to cause that sort of issue for you, you were probably already properly balanced protein wise or very close to it. The addition of the extra protein aggravated the protein balance resulting in rigid, tangly, over-structurized hair. If you would have done the same thing at a time in your regimen where you were protein deficient, I can almost guarantee that this would have been an MNT praise thread :lol:

The only solution to this is allowing the protein to wear off (which it will in a few washings and deep conditionings) and really infusing your hair with moisture at every turn. That means cutting back on protein in other products and areas in your regimen (moisturizers, leave ins, conditioners, etc). HTH.

For the girl who had to cut her hair, I'm also leaning toward the bad batch hypothesis. That, or the stylist didn't recognize the protein overload and instead of really working with the hair, decided to take the easiest route and cut it off.:ohwell:

Sistaslick said:
ITA. MNT are heavy protein based products. Keep in mind that it also can be used on animal hair (coats and hides)--so it does carry a certain extra level of ingredient potency because the animal hair can probably take it better than our little hair fibers. :lol:

Samaria, you using it as a leave in is probably what caused you the tangly breakage. I also use MNT, but only when my hair is terribly protein deficient. I never use the conditioner as a leave in because it is much too potent for my hair-- even when I'm rinsing it out. Many times, I don't even use the shampoo/conditioner combo together at all. They are much too protein rich. For the protein to cause that sort of issue for you, you were probably already properly balanced protein wise or very close to it. The addition of the extra protein aggravated the protein balance resulting in rigid, tangly, over-structurized hair. If you would have done the same thing at a time in your regimen where you were protein deficient, I can almost guarantee that this would have been an MNT praise thread :lol:

The only solution to this is allowing the protein to wear off (which it will in a few washings and deep conditionings) and really infusing your hair with moisture at every turn. That means cutting back on protein in other products and areas in your regimen (moisturizers, leave ins, conditioners, etc). HTH.

For the girl who had to cut her hair, I'm also leaning toward the bad batch hypothesis. That, or the stylist didn't recognize the protein overload and instead of really working with the hair, decided to take the easiest route and cut it off.:ohwell:

Hey sista, thats what Ive been doing, its been working pretty decent so far.

MNT didn't work for me either. I tried it a couple different times (cw, leave in, rinse out, air dried, blow dried) and each time I ended up with hair like straw. Luckily, I had a sample sized bottle. I threw it out never to purchase again.

MNT did not work for me either I use the shampoo and conditioner and it left my hard and tangled.
After washing out the shampoo I thought the conditioner would do better my hair was breaking while coming through the conditioner with a wide too comb-no slip or moisture.
I immediatey washed it out and grab my beloved Elucence poo and conditioner whiched save my strands.
The next day I had only a few strands coming out in my comb so I knew it was the MNT.
MNT is the only shampoo and conditioner that's ever caused my hair to break while using ,I think it was too much protein for my hair.
I did co washes the rest of that week and a light protein treatment and my hair was fine.

Back