Oil vs. Moistrizers - How do you tell the Difference?

Dymondz7

Oil vs. Moisturizers - How do you tell the Difference?

Until joining LHCF I assumed oil/greese was moisturizing my hair and scalp. Of course I now know better. However I don't know how to determine what is moisturizing my hair as opposed to simply adding oil for sheen or locking in moisture. Couple of questions:
1) are some oils also moisturizers?
2) how can I tell the difference between oil and moisturizers?
3) should water be the first ingrediant of a good moisturizer?
4) what ingrediants do you think are important to look for an effective moisturizer?

Any insight you can provide will be greatly appreciated - TIA

Last edited:

AceH

Hmmmmm. I'm not the expert, but I will take a stab at your questions. Here are my answers:

1) are some oils also moisturizers? I would say yes, but I primarily use oils to 'lock in' moisture.

2) how can I tell the difference between oil and moisturizers? A moisturizer penetrates the hair shaft and will soften the hair strands while an oil coats the hair shaft.

3) should water be the first ingrediant of a good moisturizer? Not necessarily, but anything used for moisturizing purposes should have water in it :)

4) what ingrediants do you think are important to look for an effective moisturizer? As I don't have my moisturizers here in front of me, I would say water, glycerin, and oil mixtures.

Tracy

Technically, no. But sometimes when oil is added to a moisturizer the result is what we call "oil moisturizers"...not really technically possible - but it doesn't matter so much if u remember that oils coat and moisture penetrates. Only water can provide real moisture.

True "moisturizers" are water based, which means water is usually the first ingredient. That's the best way to tell.

Yes.

4) what ingrediants do you think are important to look for an effective moisturizer?
Water...and maybe some oil if you don't want to add the two separately and don't mind using oil in the hair. Oil, either mixed into a pre-prepared water based formula, or added after a water based formula is applied, can help to seal in moisture as well as provide some lubrication and elasticity to the hair shaft.

Allandra

Tracy said:

Technically, no. But sometimes when oil is added to a moisturizer the result is what we call "oil moisturizers"...not really technically possible - but it doesn't matter so much if u remember that oils coat and moisture penetrates. Only water can provide real moisture.

True "moisturizers" are water based, which means water is usually the first ingredient. That's the best way to tell.

Yes.

Water...and maybe some oil if you don't want to add the two separately and don't mind using oil in the hair. Oil, either mixed into a pre-prepared water based formula, or added after a water based formula is applied, can help to seal in moisture as well as provide some lubrication and elasticity to the hair shaft.
Tracy sums it up pretty good with her answer. :)

nesha24

Tracy, do you know anything about hair lotions? I just picked up a new hair lotion by B&B. The main ingredient is water, then canola oil. Thanks!

Dymondz7

Since joining LHCF I'm slowly becoming a PJ!! But now that I now know what a moisturizer is, I'm justified in making a new purchase for a good oil moisturizer. Based on Tracy's excellent explanation of what to look for in a moisturizer, I think I will try ORS Olive Oil.

Let me know if there are other recommendations for a good moisturizer. I'll also search old threads for suggestions.