How do you moisturize your hair?

vtoodler

Do you use a water-based or oil-based moisturizer on your hair? If so, what moisturizer do you use? What brand?

And do you seal your hair afterwards with oil? How often do you moisturize your hair, and what time of the day do you usually do it? (morning or night)

Basically, what is your process for moisturizing your hair? Please be as detailed as possible.

FearfullyMade

Hello Vtoodler,

I moisterize with Care Free Curl Gold (Thanks Adora Adora). It is glycerine based. I don't currently seal with oil because I am in a sew-in and don't want to make the hair oily and flat. My hair stays moisterized for a few days (and my hair is really thick). I use a slanted squirt bottle and just squirt away into the tracks and use my fingers to rub in the activator into my edges. IMO it is an excellent moisturizer.

bahamababe242

I use water based in the summer and creamier ones in the colder months. (Watery)H-Two, braid sprays or (Creamy) Hollywood Beauty Carrot Creme or Protectiv Healthy Ends. HTH

Eluv

I moisturize in the AM & PM using a water base moisturizer
1. I lightly spritz my hair w/water & Glycerin mix
2. Use my NTM
3. Seal with Coconut oil

topnotch1010

Real Housewife of Houston
I use water based as well.

I have my own mixture: a few squirts of conditioner (currently my fav is Herbal Essence Long Term Relationship), a few squirts of glycerin, and water in a spray bottle.

I do this to me and my daughters hair in the morning and before bed.

yardgirl

I'm in braids now and I use jheri juice to moisturize. First I started out with Wave Nouveau Finishing mist but then I discovered S Curl 360 Stylin' Afro Hair Softener. The latter is more reasonably prices and it has better ingredients IMO.

Rainbow Dash

I am a 4a/b natural. After washing I..
1. Moisturize with S-curl or water based leave in
2. Seal with an oil such as Castor oil or olive oil
3. Moisturize with a creamy leave such as Garnier fructis or Qhmet Alma Heavy cream.

This keeps my hair moisturized for days.

On days that I do not wash
1. Moisturize with S-curl
2. Seal with Garnier Fructis sleek n shine leave in

This keeps my hair moisturized and I dont have knots and breakage.

Meritamen

On a happy hair journey
I moisturize my hair twice a day morning and night.
So when I get up in the morning I moisturize my hair with KeraCare Creme Hairdress and then seal with a little bit of unrefined coconut oil. Then at night I moisturize with the same moisturizer and seal with unrefined coconut oil mixed with EVOO.
If my ends feel a little dry then I will apply extra coconut oil to them and then baggy at night. They feel super soft and moisturized in the morning. Other times when my hair still feels a little oily in the morning I just skip the coconut oil until bedtime.

On day when I wash my hair or co-wash I wait till my hair is 50% to 70% dry and then apply my leave-in which is currently the Aveeno leave-in (haven't found a fave yet) and then apply my moisturizer and coconut oil (I love that oil to death!)

NaturalEnigma

I moisturize with Shescentit's Seyani hair butter and I seal with jojoba oil. I used to seal with Jamaican black castor oil, but now that I'm transitioning I noticed jojoba is a much better choice because it makes my hair so much softer. I moisturize and seal when I notice my hair is dry, (every 2-3 days). I used to moisturize once a day, but I noticed my hair doesn't need as much moisture anymore.