Oh the Drama...

TamaraShaniece

Ayurvedic Life
We all have those issues....

My SO family stay in my hair...if you gonna be in there, hell massage it. My great grandmother (on my dad side is native american) and my great great grand father (on my mother side is Irish) which according to my his folks is why I have "good" hair. It exhaust me when they try to educate me on my lineage becuz of my hair.

greenandchic

My SO family stay in my hair...if you gonna be in there, hell massage it. My great grandmother (on my dad side is native american) and my great great grand father (on my mother side is Irish) which according to my his folks is why I have "good" hair. It exhaust me when they try to educate me on my lineage becuz of my hair.

LOL! I love it when they come up with stores of (in my case) made up relatives from X generations ago being the sole reason why my hair is the way it is.

crazytrish75

I always get the “my hair was long when I was an embryo” and “I don’t like long hair, so I keep my hair cut short” comments. For some reason, they don’t seem to like my responses (e.g., “That was like...20 or 30 years ago, right? Hmm”).:lol:

^^^^:lol: this really cracked me up for some reason!:lachen:

TamaraShaniece

Ayurvedic Life
LOL! I love it when they come up with stores of (in my case) made up relatives from X generations ago being the sole reason why my hair is the way it is.

greenandchic EXACTLY!!! Like my hair is like this because I take care of it and I co-wash =D. But no...my great great great great great great uncle who's anything other than black is the reason my hair is like this. Like guys really. They will take the white master raping the black slaves as a reason to why my hair is like that.

PennyK

Years ago, I wore a wash & go to work (and back then my curls were a lot tighter than they are now). My manager asked me what I put in my hair. When I told her I just added water and let it air dry, she called me a liar...... why would I lie :ohwell:

APrayer4Hair

Just experienced this like 5 mins ago :lachen:. This new girl at work says "your hair would look good/better in two strand twists. My hair is natural too." She has a sew-in and her leave out is anorexic/see-thru looking. I just gave her my "u ain't gotta lie to kick it" face.....

SmilingElephant

I feel u Supergirl. Im scraping MBL and recently got my hair blown out and everybody at work wants to play with my hair. I haven't gotten any rude remarks but do you ever notice how EVERYBODY wants to be your friend once they see how long your hair is?? I have had ppl who never speak to me coming up to me and giving me compliments and it catches me off guard.

dachsies_rule!

:lachen::lachen::lachen:I'm sorry, but this right here had me rolling!

browneyedgrl

One time last summer when I was getting my life through wet bunning and my phony ponies, I was talking to this woman at DS's swim lesson. We were just chit-chatting about nothing in particular when she asked me what did I use in my hair to make it look like "that" (I assumed she meant the waves in the front, back and sides since my hair was in a bun). I told her nothing but Eco-styler gel on my damp hair and then she gets quiet. I thought we we're done talking or about to move on to another subject when all of a sudden, out of the clear blue sky, she literally sucks her teeth and breaks out with, "Well, my sister has good hair. And her waves are bigger than yours."
Me::look:. "Ummm...ok?"
Her: :evil: "Yeah. O-KAY." Then she stomps off to sit in another area beside the pool.

That was the strangest encounter about my hair that I have ever had. When most people ask me about my waves, they ask about what I use/do, tell me they're nice waves and keep it moving. But I don't know if this woman thought I was lying or what. I saw her a few times after that and she would never make eye contact.

SMH.

LOL!
Reminds me of a "friend" of mine. Every time we're around each other and someone compliments my hair she always has to blurt out how she has "good hair" and a "nicer grade of hair" as if to one up me in some sort of way since my hair is coarser. as you can probably tell...we rarely speak now.

Last edited:

Dayjoy

Old School Member
I feel u Supergirl. Im scraping MBL and recently got my hair blown out and everybody at work wants to play with my hair. I haven't gotten any rude remarks but do you ever notice how EVERYBODY wants to be your friend once they see how long your hair is?? I have had ppl who never speak to me coming up to me and giving me compliments and it catches me off guard.

At least they're complimenting you. Most of the time they just sit back and hate or make rude comments.

Judwill07

People always want to tell you what their hair looks like when it is never on display. When people do that to me, I ask them to see it. I had this woman always telling me when I was natural how awesome her natural hair was and how it was nicer than mine. Yet, from her wigs her nape area looked like burnt hay. I guess it got better from there, LOL!

:lachen: :lachen:

Dove56

of wearing your hair down when it's usually up. I'm still fairly new here at work, and work with mostly Caucasians, but a good number of us as well. I usually have my hair up of course. I have been asked by at least three of the Whites if I have extensions or weave when my hair is down. I'm disappointed at such assumptions, but then again who can blame them after Good Hair.

And then there's the black co-worker who wears the waist length weave on the regular, but makes it a point when I wear my hair out, to tell me or someone else that her *real* hair (which I've never seen) is longer than mine.

Yes, I remember when I was near TBL folks always had an aunt, a cousin, a uncle's niece's great-grandmother's cousin with hair that was longer lol. Always, always, always. Take it has a compliment because you are and your hair are gorgeous in person. :yep: :)

Dove56

Or my hair used to be that long but I cut it because, it was too much trouble, too hot, too much attention, too much jealousy and on on on.....:lachen:

I heard all this and I was only BSB, I can only imagine what you are subjected to.

VivaMac

This is so true lol. I told them those East Indians wear their hair to the floor in the desert so it's all good. It can't be any hotter than the hot Sun beaming down on those sparse edges or the 200 pound lacefront in the Summer lol. :giggle:

Enyo

@VivaMac

This is so true lol. I told them those East Indians wear their hair to the floor in the desert so it's all good. It can't be any hotter than the hot Sun beaming down on those sparse edges or the 200 pound lacefront in the Summer lol. :giggle:

Actually, I believe that India has a more tropical environment which is much better for hair. Deserts are dry and hot which, in my experience, made my hair break off.

alundra

Addicted to jdramas
Don't try to explain to people what you do to your hair either.

Person: I like your hair, what do you do to it?

Me: I joined a forum. I use a pre-shampoo, then shampoo, then I--

Person: Oh, too much work.

Me: :look:

Bublin

Don't try to explain to people what you do to your hair either.

Person: I like your hair, what do you do to it?

Me: I joined a forum. I use a pre-shampoo, then shampoo, then I--

Person: Oh, too much work.

Me: :look:

:yep: Their eyes start to glaze over. I have a friend who has been asking me for years and every single time her eyes glaze over. She's a very close friend which is why i've put up with it for so long but lately when she talks about her hair I just nod.

I have another friend who is actually taking my advice for her son's hair but I'm dishing the advice in stages....because all at once is too overwhelming.

Diva_Esq

I had my hair flat ironed once (I am WHIP length) and this woman at church says as I walk by, "Pocahontas in the house!!" and laughed! I shot her the coldest ice grill look I could fix on my face!! I hate that hinting that I must have Indian in my family mess!! Then another lady asked with a stank look, "Whatchu gonna do? Grow ya hair to ya butt or something?"

Me: YEP!!!!!! *flip...swang...Beyonce walk away*

Can't stand naysayers!!!!

TamaraShaniece

Ayurvedic Life
I had my hair flat ironed once (I am WHIP length) and this woman at church says as I walk by, "Pocahontas in the house!!" and laughed! I shot her the coldest ice grill look I could fix on my face!! I hate that hinting that I must have Indian in my family mess!! Then another lady asked with a stank look, "Whatchu gonna do? Grow ya hair to ya butt or something?"

Me: YEP!!!!!! *flip...swang...Beyonce walk away*

Can't stand naysayers!!!!

Diva_Esq at church though... How about u focus on The Lord and not my hair. Kudos to u cuz I would have forgot I was in church.

CurlyMoo

OP: I make em even more mad by wearing my halle berry wig.

I hear: "I knew it... I knew it! That whole time she was wearing a long weave!"

OMG I love it!! Did you have to cut and shape it yourself or did it come that way? That is my dream hair cut, I would love to get a wig like that.

Last edited:

bhndbrwneyes

My immediate co-workers all all white. My female co-worker in her 40s always compliments me on my hair when I do something different whether it be wear it straight for the first time in a while, a braid/twist out for the first time in a while, or a new PS. She likes the versatility of black hair and I like that.

HOWEVER, one of my male co-workers always asks about my hair and looks pretty skeptical when doing so. I usually wear my hair in a wet bun, jaw clip, or WNG pony. I'm doing braid/twist outs more and more and I've straightened my hair for a total of 2-3 weeks in the past year. When my hair goes from PS to straight he asks how my hair got so long and looks like he doesn't believe me when I tell him it was always all there just tucked away. When I go from straight to curly he asks if I cut my hair. I then try to explain to him shrinkage. This sometimes happens on a weekly basis if I'm constantly alternating PSing and wearing it out.

Also, I'm very bad at spotting weaves/wigs. I just moved to a new part of town where one of my not-so-immediate co-workers who's black lives. I asked her where she gets her hair done at. The following week I saw her without her wig for the first time and her edges were non-existent and her entire head of hair was very thin and dry. I definitely took note of the salon to NEVER visit there.

Last edited:

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
This thread reminds me of this quote:

“I get a lot of cracks about my hair, mostly from men who don’t have any.”
Ann Richards

I've modified it to this:

"I get a lot of cracks about my hair, mostly from heauxs who don't have any."
MileHighDiva

Now, I would never say that out loud. My mama, didn't raise me like that. However, my thoughts...:lachen: