Oct 1 update: Christmas Stretch Club members, how ya doin???

Sosoothing

I have about 1.25 in of new growth and some days Im sometimes almost caving in:eek: . But as soon as I saturate my hair with sta-sof-fro it becomes bearable again:) . Im about 11-12weeks post (cant even remember anymore)
I also tried the combing once a week thing but my hair mats up:ohwell:. I have to finger comb daily or use a wide tooth comb every 2 -3days.

For now I make one braid, which I sort of tuck in using my own hair in the back. it takes me 20seconds to do. Its so easy to do and I love the way it looks. I dont want to even use any foreign material to secure it by making a bun:lol: . Im trying to baby it as much as possible.

The other day I noticed that when my hair is wet its about 4inches from BSL, I was so excited!!! But when it dries it shrinks so much you would think I was crazy if I said its about 4in from BSL when its wet. I cant wait till December !!

Divine Inspiration

Serenity Breeze- Welcome to the club!!! How long are you tryin to stretch??

Blosssom, only members who complete the course get prizes...no cheaters like you!! :lol:

Shellz-hang in there girl. I know what you mean about breakage. I'm gonna use a glycerine mix and CO washes to get me through.

Prettyblac-That's great that you got cornrows. I bet it'll be SO much easier since you don't have to think about your hair. How long are you gonna keep em? I know exactly what chu mean about these controlling stylists. I'm so sick of them I don't know what to do. I'm still on the hunt for a stylist that I trust to do my relaxer in December b/c I refuse to go back to the the other chicks. There's this one guy I might reconsider but I dunno.

Carlita, thanks for the tip on the coco juice. I'm gonna have to keep my eye open for this.

Lkays, grow on my sista, grow on. You're gonna get to your goal in no time with this stretch. I feel you on the shrinkage b/c people will argue me down that my hair is not bra strap and then I'll flat iron it out and they're like "You got tracks?" Um no, I have SHRINKAGE! :lol:

LongIslandBeauty

I'm 9 weeks post. No issues here. I poo once a week and cw once or twice a week. Castor oil in my weekly Dominican deep conditioners keeps my roots soft and easy to comb. I spritz my hair most days with a glycerin mix (water, glycerin, castor oil, lavendar eo)

Keep up the good work ladies!!

Keen

Divine Inspiration said:
Welcome to the club mama! :clapping: What are your stretching strategies & how much length are you looking to gain? :)

I usually wear my hair out for one or two weeks after relaxing. After that I wear buns up to eight to 10 weeks. Any stretching beyond that, I wear big braids (aka Janet Jackson Braids).

I'm not really looking to gain any lenght other than my normal growth rate. I have switch my strategy to retaining lenght rather than gaining. If I retain what I already have plus my normal growth rate. That is good enough.

Oh, I'm also trying something new. From now on, whenever I'm at home I will wear a plastic cap. I will also sleep with the plastic cap on. That has help a lot with moisture. I haven't had to use products as much to retain moisture.

Divine Inspiration

Keen, the cap thing is very interesting...once I get like 15 weeks post, I'll probably need something like that! LOL HHG!!!

LongIslandBeauty-It sounds like you got it together...I may have to try this castor oil out...I've been putting EVOO (sometimes rosemary, jojoba, lavendar) in my cons for the longest, but I may give the castor oil a go next weekend. HHG!

Blossssom

But what if you go far too long before getting your touch-up?

Isn't your hair more apt to breakage during the process?

Sosoothing

Blossssom said:

I think so. Especially if the new growth's texture's is very different from the straight relaxed hair. Hence the importance of proper care by moisturizing, deep conditioning, other treatments,minimal heat and manipulation.

Im certain I can only stretch for so long before I start seein major breakage. I just hope December wont be too late:lol: .

Im pretty sure that after this challenge (if I dont cave in:look: ) I will go back to my usual 10-12weeks:) .

Divine Inspiration

Blossssom said:

Not if you know what you're doing. I think most people can stretch at least 8 weeks if they use the right styles/products.
For people who attempt mega stretches, they always have the option of relaxing if the breakage becomes excessive or if they can't control it.
Hair does tend to be more sensitive at the line of demarcation but other than that I don't think the hair is more apt to breakage.
There was a time when I would "have breakage" if I went more than 6 weeks or so I thought. Once I figured out that I have to step up my DCing and moisturizing, I found that I could go 12-16 weeks stretching.
But like I always say, what about the chicks who transition???? It's the same thing. If you decide to go natural, you've got to figure out how to save strands until you do a BC or trim off relaxed ends, right? It's all about knowing how to care for that line & keeping it moisturized & strong, IMHO. :look:

Divine Inspiration

Like L-kays, I plan to go back to 10-12 weeks after Christmas. I just wanted to do this mega stretch to get my hair off on the right foot in 2006, plus I knew I would reach my goal if I held out til the end of the year.
I posted a thread seeking a stretch buddy for Christmas and I didn't think anyone would respond. The response was tremendous so I decided to go ahead and go for it...at least there are other ladies on the board who I can get advice/tips from in the process.

lisajames96

Checking in...

Not doing so well right now, but will press on. Currently I have to wash my hair everyday cause I can't stand the smell of any of my mosturizing product. Not even my beloved Scurl, so I have to keep my hair wet with water all day cause when it dries it feels brittle. Does anybody know of any moisturizers or conditioners that have no smell, but work really good? Oh and crabapplesoap is now on blast, they still haven't shipped my shea butter that I ordered a month ago! :mad: ...yall forgive me, hormones are a little wierd right now. But I am still stretching...
-lisa

divinefavor

Good Morning!

It looks like I'm going to be getting a touch up this weekend. I'll be 16 weeks post on Friday. I don't think I can handle going past that, the new growth is getting a little out of control. I'm afraid of breakage and don't want to lose the progress I have made. 12-16 weeks may be my relaxer stretch limit! Who knows I may change my mind once the weekend comes. But, in the meantime I'll be cheering all of you on from the sidelines. I wish all of you much success in your Christmas stretch. :)

YummyC

going ok, I'm at 5wks post right now and so far so good. Its definetly going to be a hard one, but I'm hanging in there.

YummyC

lisajames96 said:
Checking in...

Not doing so well right now, but will press on. Currently I have to wash my hair everyday cause I can't stand the smell of any of my mosturizing product. Not even my beloved Scurl, so I have to keep my hair wet with water all day cause when it dries it feels brittle. Does anybody know of any moisturizers or conditioners that have no smell, but work really good? Oh and crabapplesoap is now on blast, they still haven't shipped my shea butter that I ordered a month ago! :mad: ...yall forgive me, hormones are a little wierd right now. But I am still stretching...
-lisa

HI,
there is one called Abba nourisher, its a little $$ but it has a very subtle scent. HTH

lisajames96

YummyC said:
HI,
there is one called Abba nourisher, its a little $$ but it has a very subtle scent. HTH
Thanks YummyC. Where do they sell this? I need to smell it before I pay it. Even the prettiest sweetest scents are gross to me. But I can bear shea butter and sort of "nutty" scents like that...wierd...

LongIslandBeauty

Well ladies, I think I'm jumping off the boat. It must be a mid life crisis, but I'm ready for a touch up, and unless for some strange reason I change my mind, I'm getting one next week.

You all keep up the good work!!

Divine Inspiration

Lisa, I'm sowwy to hear about your hormone woes...hang in there girl...

YummyC...stay with us!!!

Divinefavor, do you girl...let us know if you change your mind!

PrissyMiss

Hi I want to join the stretch if it's not too late. I'm currently 9 weeks into it.

Last edited: