NYC Transitioners - where are you getting your hair pressed/flat ironed?

naturalmanenyc

NYC Transitioners/Naturals - where are you getting your hair pressed/flat ironed?

I haven't texlaxed since December and want to have my hair flat ironed or pressed. Everyone can't be doing their own pressing/flat ironing all the time, right?

Are you going to a salon? And if so can anyone recommend a reasonably priced stylist in Brooklyn or Manhattan who can flat iron 4a hair very well (technique rather than super high heat)?

Thanks!

Last edited:

naturalmanenyc

Re: NYC Transitioners/Naturals - where are you getting your hair pressed/flat ironed?

Want to add that I had an experience this summer at a Dominican salon (attempt at trying out a new place) and was made to feel like my 20+ week, soft, curly new growth was 16 inches of kinky, coarse 4xyz hair.

This place was an LHCF referral and I wanted a wash & set, then flat iron the roots. I went there with my hair in a curly bun and the stylist would not even do my hair. I explained that I rollerset my hair all the time and she looked shocked. She then told me that she "only works with relaxed hair"? I have only a couple of inches of new growth (at the time about 2 inches) and the rest texlaxed/relaxed but you would have thought I walked in there with an Angela Davis afro?

I left without having anything done.

I do not want to have this kind of experience again and am hoping for a salon/stylist in Brooklyn or Manhattan that is familiar with transitioning/natural hair.

Thanks!!

Last edited:

LaFaraona

I have had my 5 month's worth of transition straightened at Dickey's. It was on the expensive side. I would love to have another less expensive alternative.
But if price is not an option, I would recommend Dickey. The result was good and people kept complimenting me on my hair.

naturalmanenyc

Thanks. I guess I should add "Reasonably priced". Is it still accurate that Dickey is about $150 for a wash, flat iron & trim?

I have had my 5 month's worth of transition straightened at Dickey's. It was on the expensive side. I would love to have another less expensive alternative.
But if price is not an option, I would recommend Dickey. The result was good and people kept complimenting me on my hair.