Not sure why it works - Miss Jessie's Baby Buttercreme

naturalmanenyc

I washed my hair and put in about 20 twists on Tuesday night for a work trip on Wednesday. My hair has been in a pineapple at night with a silk scrunchie and it's still feeling very moisturized from Tuesday night.

I used my leave in (kimmaytube mix with Nature's Gate conditioner) and then I used aloe vera gel to twist my wet hair. I sealed my hair with my free sample of Miss Jessie's Baby Buttercreme (focused on ends and ran creme down the length of each twist).

I never used this product before and the ingredients are nothing special but it does seem to work....although I have no idea why.

Ingredients: Water, Petrolatum, Glycerin, Mineral Oil, Fragrance, Glyceryl Stereate, PEG-100 Stearate, Acetylated Lanolin, Crambe Abyssinica Seed Oil, Panthenol, Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Germ Oil, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter, Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Seed Butter, Keratin, Hydrolized Keratin, PEG-8 Dilaurate, Ceteareth-20, Stearyl Alcohol, Acrylates/C 10-30 Alkyl Acylate Crosspolymer, Disodium EDTA, Treithanolamine, DMDM Hydantoin, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Caramel, Yellow 5 (CI 19140)

Any chemist or kitchen mixologist have any idea? Or maybe it's just the emollients?

Although I am curious, I won't be purchasing it since I refuse to pay $58 for a 16 oz hair product or $33 for the 8 oz.

naheda72

Use to use this exclusively for my twists and they were always perfect, but I now use carol's daughter, because the whole family can use it for all styles and it is cheaper

Candela.

I don't have an answer for you but recently I've seen knock off Miss Jessie's products called Aunt Jackie's for a fraction of the price. & by "a fraction of the price" I mean $7 for a 16 oz jar. The ingredients seem to be the same as well.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
i really liked this product too. i got it in a swap so it was deeply discounted but i could never pony up the cash for a brand new jar. i remember asking around the boards for an alternative and getting no answer other than to buy it on sale. that was over a year ago so maybe there has been something new that might be comparable.

firecracker

I use it, I like it and I do buy it every year on Black Friday. Miss Jessies is a staple. I use the styling and moisturizing products. No complaints here. Different strokes for different folks.

Austro-Afrikana

Despite the flack it gets, mineral oil is the best sealant. Plus, the way the products are formulated, your hair doesn't get particularly greasy from it. Oh and the panthenol and wheat germ oil in this product is nice too. I started using the curly pudding and really like it. I wanted to try the baby butter creme but it is wayyy too expensive for no good reason.

wavezncurlz

LHCF addict
We love the baby butter creme on my girls' twists. I will buy it when they have sales and BOGOs. I wish it wasn't so expensive.

naturalmanenyc

I have the curly meringue and the curly pudding (got them on a BOGO and with a gift card). They are okay but the Baby Buttercreme is shockingly good for moisture retention. My hair still feels moisturized today from twisting on Tuesday night. I have not added any additional product.

If I can get a week of moisturized hair out of this free 13 gram/.46 oz sample, I may buy a jar at the next BOGO since I have a $50 in Target gift cards from work. A little goes a long way since I only used it to seal my twists. I did not even need to use the entire sample packet.

naturalmanenyc

wavezncurlz

Have you tried the curly buttercreme? If so, did it work the same? The ingredients are a little different but I suspect it's mostly the fragrance since baby buttercreme is made for children.

MrsJaiDiva

Embracing the Light
Austro-Afrikana is right on the money. It's the petroleum, and mineral oil, as well as the lanolin. That's a heavy oil combo, and it should definitely keep you hair soft & moist...just be careful that it's not blocking your pores with excessive use. :yep:

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
i have wanted to try these products but i can not for the life of me understand why they are sooooo expensive when the main ingredient is mineral oil or petroleum in every jar.

i may have to break down and try this though at some point. thanks for the review!

firecracker

wavezncurlz

Have you tried the curly buttercreme? If so, did it work the same? The ingredients are a little different but I suspect it's the fragrance since baby buttercreme is made for children.
I can answer from my experience. It works only a tad bit different. It does give my curls and coils a small boost w/moisture but not like the Meringue or Curly pudding. My daughter loves it and used it regularly when she was a natural. I prefer the Baby Buttercreme and you are right a little goes a long way. I'm looking forward to trying out my sample of Pillow Soft Curls and Creme De La Curl.

I actually like what night sea air does to my curly/coily hair. It moisturizes and gives it fluff for over a week plus its free.:grin:

wavezncurlz

LHCF addict
@wavezncurlz

Have you tried the curly buttercreme? If so, did it work the same? The ingredients are a little different but I suspect it's mostly the fragrance since baby buttercreme is made for children.

naturalmanenyc
I have but I like the baby buttercreme the best. It is not much of a difference to me -maybe a little more moisturizing. I think it's because I started using it when they were babies and I love the sweet smell. It takes me back to those baby days (my oldest turns 7 tomorrow - weeping). They like it too. :love:

naturalmanenyc

LilMissCutie

This is my first time trying it (free sample) since I did not want to buy it for $33 (8 oz) and hate it.

How else do you use it? So far I only used it to seal in the moisture when I twisted my hair. I have not tried to use it to actually twist my wet or dry hair.

I find curly pudding and curly meringue to heavy for my twists when done on wet or damp hair and neither of them works well for me on dry hair. I have fine, 4a hair. Baby buttercreme worked great as a sealer.

I didn't know anyone else used this! It LITERALLY works for the weirdest things LoL!

gennatay

I've been wanting to try this line for a while as well. I think I may go buy samples and test them out and then if I like them, buy them at the BOGO sale this year.

empressri

My sis-in-law's daughter has tight tight 4c? 4z? Hair and this was THE only thing that works on it to keep it moist. I told her mom about it years ago and she still buys it.

You really only need a little bit and it does work.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
Despite the flack it gets, mineral oil is the best sealant. Plus, the way the products are formulated, your hair doesn't get particularly greasy from it. Oh and the panthenol and wheat germ oil in this product is nice too. I started using the curly pudding and really like it. I wanted to try the baby butter creme but it is wayyy too expensive for no good reason.
IDK about the mineral oil in general. Never experimented with it. Have no opinion either way.

This product is a souped-up grease. Petrolatum. 2nd ingredient. Grease REALLY gets flack here, but it really seals in moisture for days (literally) and defines twists out and other "out" styles. I use petroleum products and my hair loves me for it and retains much better when used on the length and ends.

DominicanBrazilian82

I too use the Curly Meringue for my flexi sets! I love soft sets (without the need for hold) because I like to wrap my sets after 1 or 2 days. This product is non-greasy and smells really good. I see a lot of bad reviews of Ms. Jessie's from a lot of naturally curly girls. I'm not natural and have no intention of becoming natural. So this product does exactly what it needs to for me. I love it!

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Charla

Hmm, this makes me think that applying Elasta QP
Mango Butter to damp hair and then sealing with Vaseline will be a good alternative to the buttercreme. I say this because I've done twists with the Elasta and it came out nice and soft and defined. And on many occasions, I've sealed with Vaseline and declared that it holds moisture like nothing I've ever tried! So why not combine them? I'm going to do just that tonight as I prepare my hair for celies under my wig.

DominicanBrazilian82

naturalmanenyc said:
gennatay

You can order FREE samples on the missjessies.com website.

I got Pillow Curls and Buttercreme free samples. Ordered on Monday and received by Wednesday. They limit 2 free samples per household. And the shipping is free.

scarcity21

naturalmanenyc said:
The only downside so far is needing a sulfate shampoo to wash out the product.

I want to try this on my 4 b natural hair but my hair mats and tangles pretty bad when I poo with sulfate shampoos. :(

Simply_elle

Candela. said:
I don't have an answer for you but recently I've seen knock off Miss Jessie's products called Aunt Jackie's for a fraction of the price. & by "a fraction of the price" I mean $7 for a 16 oz jar. The ingredients seem to be the same as well.

Lol aunt Jackie's!!!!

Sorry nothing to add here... I hated the curly butter creme and am too wussy to try the heavily scented pillow soft curls. It smells like downy on steroids, ugh. Glad it worked for you OP :yep: