Non-gel Stylers

Alma Petra

Ladies who do wash and go's, what are your favourite non-gel stylers?

Do you know of anything that gives good definition but without the crunch? Hold (how long the style will last) is not important but I would like to see more definition and little frizz when the style is fresh. Leave-in alone does none of that for me.

Thank you very much in advance!

Coilystep

@imperial_acquisitions
I don't really like non gel stylers. Have you tried any curl creams? Cantu and Eden BodyWorks have curl creams.
Have you tried any of the more natural gels like kinky curly coiling custard, camille rose curl maker, as I am curly jelly or any curls gels. They don't leave the traditional crunch of ecostyler.

Alma Petra

I don't really like non gel stylers. Have you tried any curl creams? Cantu and Eden BodyWorks have curl creams.
Have you tried any of the more natural gels like kinky curly coiling custard, camille rose curl maker, as I am curly jelly or any curls gels. They don't leave the traditional crunch of ecostyler.

Hi dear!

I have tried the Cantu cream and I remember it was heavy/hard and not really defining but I might give it another try since I still have the jar somewhere. I have also tried CRN style setter. I like the moisture and softness but again the definition is minimal. I would like to try more of these curl creams but I don't know which one to try next. Have you ever tried Jane Carter's?

For some reason all the gels without exceptions leave me with crunch even AVG. I have tried KCCC and Curl Maker. KCCC is actually a staple. I use it under wetline gel and sometimes alone and I love it. Curl maker leaves my hair dry/rough I don't know why. I still have my bottle though and I hope to give it another chance sometime later.

I have no problem scrunching out the crunch after a wash and go and I usually end up with soft hair with a lot of motion. But (1) I hate how long it takes for gel to dry. I feel that applying paper towels before diffusing increases frizz and removes some of the product. And (2) I hate the crunch when I redampen my hair to remoisturize or to refresh or to slick down an old wash and go bun. Because after doing these things I leave my house and I meet people before I get the chance to SOTC and I dislike my hair to look or feel crunchy in these situations. Unfortunately I can't achieve multiple-day hair because of my texlaxed ends so I need to redampen more often.

Last edited:

silverlotus

Design Essentials Honey Curlforming Custard is technically a gel, but it left my twa soft and non-crunchy. CRN Curlmaker gives me crunch and I hate KCCC (frizz and residue).

As far as non-gel stylers, I haven't found one, but my hair is very short. On Youtube, StyledbyKami has this series Will My Curls Pop where she reviews styling products for her wash n go. Some of them are non-gel stylers, but I can't remember which ones offhand. Here's the playlist.

Alma Petra

Design Essentials Honey Curlforming Custard is technically a gel, but it left my twa soft and non-crunchy. CRN Curlmaker gives me crunch and I hate KCCC (frizz and residue).

As far as non-gel stylers, I haven't found one, but my hair is very short. On Youtube, StyledbyKami has this series Will My Curls Pop where she reviews styling products for her wash n go. Some of them are non-gel stylers, but I can't remember which ones offhand. Here's the playlist.

Amazing! Thank you so much! I will make sure to have a very good look at this series and I might just be able to find something that my hair will like. I hope that she will have similar pattern and characteristics to mine.

Regarding the Design Essentials gel, have you used it multiple times before?

Alma Petra

My problem with non gel stylers is that they provide no hold whatsoever. I've used Jane carters incredible curls and her other curl cream but again it provides no hold. I really just avoid curl cream at this point.
By "hold" do you mean definition? Or the duration of the definition and things like resistance to humidity and mechanical disruption?
If it's about the duration, I don't mind. I already don't achieve more than second day hair (if I achieve it) but if they give no definition at all then they are definitely not for me lol.

silverlotus

Amazing! Thank you so much! I will make sure to have a very good look at this series and I might just be able to find something that my hair will like. I hope that she will have similar pattern and characteristics to mine.

Regarding the Design Essentials gel, have you used it multiple times before?

I bought the DE gel last week, have used it twice so far, so I can't comment on multiple uses. I've basically been experimenting with a ton of gels since I BCed. Non-gel "curl smoothies" and the like do nothing for definition on my hair.

silverlotus

I have no experience with this product, but maybe you could try CRN Aloe Whipped Butter Gel? It's a creamy consistency, so possibly less likely to be crunchy while still giving some light hold.

NaturalShe94

I use SM Coconut & Hibiscus Curl Enhancing Smoothie with the Styling Milk on top. I love it. No gel needed. Also Au Naturale Curling Creme Glaze or Curls Blueberry Bliss Leave In with the Curl Control jelly. I'll use TGIN Leave in and seal with Jojoba Oil. I bare use gel in my hair. I really dislike "stiff" or "crunchy" curls. Those products do well.

Alma Petra

Many thanks ladies!!

I bought the DE gel last week, have used it twice so far, so I can't comment on multiple uses. I've basically been experimenting with a ton of gels since I BCed. Non-gel "curl smoothies" and the like do nothing for definition on my hair.

Do you mind keeping us up to date with your experience with the DE gel?

I have no experience with this product, but maybe you could try CRN Aloe Whipped Butter Gel? It's a creamy consistency, so possibly less likely to be crunchy while still giving some light hold.

I like the idea of a butter gel. I will put it on my to-try list.

Soultanicals Coil Boosting Gelly

No crunch?

I use SM Coconut & Hibiscus Curl Enhancing Smoothie with the Styling Milk on top. I love it. No gel needed. Also Au Naturale Curling Creme Glaze or Curls Blueberry Bliss Leave In with the Curl Control jelly. I'll use TGIN Leave in and seal with Jojoba Oil. I bare use gel in my hair. I really dislike "stiff" or "crunchy" curls. Those products do well.

I have always wanted to try the SM smoothie and their souffle because both get great reviews. I have used their styling milk but I thought that it was overly oily.

Curls have 3 products that they claim to be defining: Curls Curl Souffle, Curls Crème Brule, and Curls Whipped Cream. I think that these are the ones that I'm going to be trying next. Do you have any experience with them?

silverlotus

Still using the DE gel. My hair is soft with a light hold. Curls are defined but not as much as with regular gel. I also notice more shrinkage than I do with the other gels I use. Either way, my hair is soft and looks much neater than it does with absolutely no product. Might be a good option for you if your main concern is no crunch. It's doubtful that those curl creams and smoothies will do anything for definition.

What is your hair type and length? Does your hair naturally curl up when wet?

Alma Petra

Still using the DE gel. My hair is soft with a light hold. Curls are defined but not as much as with regular gel. I also notice more shrinkage than I do with the other gels I use. Either way, my hair is soft and looks much neater than it does with absolutely no product. Might be a good option for you if your main concern is no crunch. It's doubtful that those curl creams and smoothies will do anything for definition.

What is your hair type and length? Does your hair naturally curl up when wet?

Great! I will order this gel with my next batch of products. Let's hope that it gives me the same results. What leave-in do you use underneath it?

My hair is a mixture of things. I have been transitioning for 4+ months now so my hair is a mixture of natural (I think 4a), texlaxed and relaxed. Parts of my hair curl up when wet and more when they dry. Parts of it (centre front and crown) don't seem to curl at all and are rough and frizzy (ugh)

Regarding length, parts of my hair are grazing BSL and parts are a twa (I big chopped them :giggle:)

Here are photos of my curls:

View media item 129309
And here is a photo of the overall hair (twist out at the top and wash and go in the bottom and underneath layers)

silverlotus

Your curls are cute! Is there a reason you want to replace the KCCC?

I BCed my hair at the 4 month mark, so I have a pretty short twa. I cowash daily, so I don't use a leave-in. I just apply gel to soaking wet hair. I have absolutely no idea how that would work on tex-laxed hair though.

I'm also wondering if you'd like the Mielle Organics Honey Ginger Gel. That one is extremely light. It behaves like the KCCC on my hair.

VictoriousBrownFlower

The only non gel product that gave me defined curls was the edens body works coconut cream (forgot the whole name). My hair was defined, soft, fluffy, stretched, and it held up for 3 days. I will say it does tend to weigh the hair down if you use too much though.

Also you could try a conditioner only wash and go. It takes forever to dry but did the job for me until I found better.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Great! I will order this gel with my next batch of products. Let's hope that it gives me the same results. What leave-in do you use underneath it?

My hair is a mixture of things. I have been transitioning for 4+ months now so my hair is a mixture of natural (I think 4a), texlaxed and relaxed. Parts of my hair curl up when wet and more when they dry. Parts of it (centre front and crown) don't seem to curl at all and are rough and frizzy (ugh)

Regarding length, parts of my hair are grazing BSL and parts are a twa (I big chopped them :giggle:)

Here are photos of my curls:

View media item 129309
And here is a photo of the overall hair (twist out at the top and wash and go in the bottom and underneath layers)

Wooooo! Beautiful hair, beautiful body!

Autumn~Tint~Of~Gold

Rocking the Casbah
Camile Rose Almond Jai Twisting Butter. It was recommended by someone here but I cannot recall who.
It ( along with Wetline gel) gave me the best wash n go I ever had. I was floored lol.
It's just best not to use too much and apply evenly. because it will cause a white coating.

Your hair is very pretty @Alma Petra

NaturalShe94

I have always wanted to try the SM smoothie and their souffle because both get great reviews. I have used their styling milk but I thought that it was overly oily.

Curls have 3 products that they claim to be defining: Curls Curl Souffle, Curls Crème Brule, and Curls Whipped Cream. I think that these are the ones that I'm going to be trying next. Do you have any experience with them?

I havent tried those. Only their Blueberry Bliss line.
Also their Botanical Gelle (not blueberry bliss) ... That works great too. Its a light gel so it doesnt leave any crunch.

Alma Petra

I BCed my hair at the 4 month mark, so I have a pretty short twa. I cowash daily, so I don't use a leave-in. I just apply gel to soaking wet hair. I have absolutely no idea how that would work on tex-laxed hair though.

I'm also wondering if you'd like the Mielle Organics Honey Ginger Gel. That one is extremely light. It behaves like the KCCC on my hair.

KCCC gives me crunch too and a soft hold, so I use it under wetline gel to improve the hold. They are both similarly crunchy on my hair. They SOTC nicely but they take long to dry and I worry about having to go out with crunchy hair. Also I hate the feeling of my hair after multiple applications of gel specially to buns when I don't get the chance to wash and reset in between. I can apply multiple layers of non-gel products on my hair over the days and my hair would still feel good. Actually it gets more moisturized. But doing that with gel means hard, unnaturally looking and feeling hair which I dislike.

You are so lucky to be able to use stylers on nude hair. My hair is naturally super dry and will feel terrible if I style without a leave in. Now the creamy leave-ins themselves do have a definite disrupting effect on my curl definition (which I find to be weird) but I can't escape from it. Gel corrects that. But if only I could use a rich leave-in underneath a mousse or if a non-gel styler could alone define my hair, life would be so awesome!

Alma Petra

The only non gel product that gave me defined curls was the edens body works coconut cream (forgot the whole name). My hair was defined, soft, fluffy, stretched, and it held up for 3 days. I will say it does tend to weigh the hair down if you use too much though.

Also you could try a conditioner only wash and go. It takes forever to dry but did the job for me until I found better.
Unfortunately conditioner alone does not define my hair adequately. Why did you move away from conditioner only styling and the Eden Body Works styler? What are you loving now?

Alma Petra

Camile Rose Almond Jai Twisting Butter. It was recommended by someone here but I cannot recall who.
It ( along with Wetline gel) gave me the best wash n go I ever had. I was floored lol.
It's just best not to use too much and apply evenly. because it will cause a white coating.

Your hair is very pretty @Alma Petra

Thanks a lot :love3: I have always wanted to try the CRN Jai butter. Did you use it underneath Wetline gel? Do you still use this combination? How crunchy does it come out?

VictoriousBrownFlower

Unfortunately conditioner alone does not define my hair adequately. Why did you move away from conditioner only styling and the Eden Body Works styler? What are you loving now?
The edens body works and conditioner only just didn't last as long as I wanted. I ended up having to redo it every 2-3 days which got annoying plus I found better. Now I use either kinky curly curling custard or camille rose curl maker. Both last between 5-7 days for me.

uofmpanther

4ab, lopo, fine, low-med density
The only non gel Styler that had worked for me as a wash n go is the original Jane Carter Curl Defining Cream. My has great definition and typically lasts a day. I usually use gel because I want more than one day.

My daughter's hair loves Curls Blueberry Curl Defining Cream. I haven't tried a wash n go on her, but I use it for Comb coils and twists. They typically last a few days and have a nice shine.

We are both 4a/b. She is more 4b. I'm low porosity. She is high/normal porosity.

Allandra

I normally just use coconut oil, but my niece used this combination (in bold above) on my hair, and it made my curly hair nice and soft, and it defines my curls. She loves this combination on her hair too.

I do like using KCCC (just a dab when I use it). It gives me a very soft hold (which I can handle).

I re-do my wash n go each day.

Thx for this thread OP.

Allandra

@silverlotus

What does it (in bold above) smell like? I may give it a try since it behaves like KCCC (if the scent is light or none).

Alma Petra

The edens body works and conditioner only just didn't last as long as I wanted. I ended up having to redo it every 2-3 days which got annoying plus I found better. Now I use either kinky curly curling custard or camille rose curl maker. Both last between 5-7 days for me.
My hair must be weird. Even KCCC and CRN CM don't give results that last this long for me. What do you do to preserve both your curls and your moisture levels? And any need to refresh in between washes?