No More Affirm For Me

NewYorkgyrl

secretdiamond said:
At first, I understood those that are saying that one application of a relaxer can't do anything to your hair like make it dry, but the more I think about it, the more I disagree b/c then that means that PART of the argument against using no-lyes is completely false since people are always saying that the mineral residue can coat the strands, blocking out moisture and therefore, drying the hair.

This is what happened to me when I switched to ORS. The dryness and roughness was immediate. I had to keep clarifying and clarifying. My hair did not return to normal until weeks after. I know this for sure & know I'm not mistaken.

So I think that this can happen with a lye relaxer as well. Granted, it may not be due to mineral deposits but it can be due to some other ingredient in the relaxer that coats or even penetrates the hair strands to make it dry. Just like when people use a relaxer their hair agrees with (i.e. Silk Elements, Phyto, etc.) and rave how the REST of their hair was silkier or smoother, etc after the FIRST use. *Some* ingredient in that particular relaxer coated the strands to make it feel silkier and softer. Thus, the same can apply for the dryness a relaxer can cause after one application.

Now I highly doubt this dryness on the previously relaxer hair is permanent but I don't think that people are crazy or wrong when they can feel their own hair and the dryness. I think this b/c the dryness for ORS lasted only until I wash was able to lift the mineral deposits out of my hair with several clarifying treatments (which I knew would happen when I decided to use a no-lye).

This make some sense to me. Thank you for letting us see this from another perspective. ESPECIALLY the part about how people rave about a relaxer making their WHOLE HEAD shiny and soft after the first application (not just the new growth).

So if this can happen.....then it is possible that the opposite can happen. Even to those people who are clearly not overlapping and watching with hawk eyes to make sure the stylist isn't doing so.

I'm still convinced that Affirm messed up my hair for weeks.

Last edited:

blackmaven

Anything Is Possible
Wow, what an unbelievable treat!

Yes it is Supergirl I love it. I found out about their testing salon in February of this year just by giving someone a compliment about their long beautiful hair she gave me the "lowdown dirty secret.:D I have since found out Mizani manufactured by Loreal/Soft Sheen also has a testing salon in Chicago. I went for a hair consultation that was it. Loreal actually perms,clip ends,color and does clients hair every two weeks for free. Although Loreal is much closer for me to get to and offer more benefits(bi-weekly free hair do) for a testing salon I was more impressed with Avlon Industires.

aniecy1 said:
Wow, what an unbelievable treat!

Yes it is Supergirl I love it. I found out about their testing salon in February of this year just by giving someone a compliment about their long beautiful hair she gave me the "lowdown dirty secret.:D I have since found out Mizani manufactured by Loreal/Soft Sheen also has a testing salon in Chicago. I went for a hair consultation that was it. Loreal actually perms,clip ends,color and does clients hair every two weeks for free. Although Loreal is much closer for me to get to and offer more benefits(bi-weekly free hair do) for a testing salon I was more impressed with Avlon Industires.

That's cool. I didn't know testing salons existed. You learn something new every day.

blackmaven

Anything Is Possible
Yes they do CandiceC
I was so impressed with Organic root Simulator olive oil I almost research where there testing salon in Blue Island, Illinois was located. I now believe all of the manufactures have a testing salon look on the back of bottle check the state call number directly this is another example of hidden black secrets sisters do not tell so my conscious is now clear it is out the closet.............LOL

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
NewYorkgyrl said:
This make some sense to me. Thank you for letting us see this from another perspective. ESPECIALLY the part about how people rave about a relaxer making their WHOLE HEAD shiny and soft after the first application (not just the new growth).

So if this can happen.....then it is possible that the opposite can happen. Even to those people who are clearly not overlapping and watching with hawk eyes to make sure the stylist isn't doing so.

This probably has more to do with the follow up products that compliment the relaxer system.(neutralizing shampoo, regular shampoo, conditioning treatment) A product applied to new growth only can't change ALL of the hair.

NewYorkgyrl

Supergirl said:
This probably has more to do with the follow up products that compliment the relaxer system.(neutralizing shampoo, regular shampoo, conditioning treatment) A product applied to new growth only can't change ALL of the hair.

yeah you maybe right but........I know some people that use the same shampoo and treatments and change relaxers and see a difference in their HAIR not new growth after applications.

I see your point from the first post. And although you think it sounds silly or does not make sense for women to be complaining about a relaxer application causing hair problems things do happen. I am not saying that the explanations are 100% reliable but I do feel as though with SOME people this may actually be the case especially if they know thier hair and what products they are using. But to each his own.

I'm just happy I dont have to bother with the whole relaxing issue at all. I hope the ladies that are having problems with Affirm find what the culprit is...even if that means finding a better relaxer.

secretdiamond

Supergirl said:
Still doesn't make sense. When I was getting the Nairobi relaxer, my hair that was relaxed with Nairobi felt super-silky, but not the rest of my hair that had been relaxed with a non-Nairobi relaxer. This is common sense. The only exception I could see would be if someone is SEVERELY overlapping their relaxer.

Well this case is personal to you. I have experienced otherwise and so have others. Every relaxer is the same in that it contains a main straightening chemical ingredient. But a lot of them aim to differentiate themselves by adding certain things to it and hoping that YOU choose theirs. Most likely these are "conditioning" ingredients which are suppose to make the relaxer 'better' for your hair. These particular ingredients just may not agree with people's hair. Now let's eliminate the straightening part of the relaxer that actually opens up the cuticle and allows these ingredients to seep into the core of the hair to make the effect 'permanent' on the touched-up newgrowth alone and look at it from the "superior conditioning" properties they all claim to have that WILL coat all of the hair as it is rinsed. This effect of course wouldn't be permanent or change the hair, just the way the hair feels (soft/dry, etc.)

What I mean to say is let’s look at it as just a regular hair care product like a regular conditioner with the same conditioning claims. I’ve heard many people say that from the second a conditioner was applied to their hair, it turned soft OR in that same second, their hair became tangled and rough, etc. For example, there was a thread where some hated the ORS pak after one use. I, on the other hand LOVE it. I often apply it in the shower with no cap or heat for 2 min and still get soft hair.

I’m explaining all of this to say that maybe the added ingredients in a relaxer can also cause this to happen during the rinsing out process as it touches ALL of the hair. There has to be something in the relaxer to make someone dislike the way it made their hair feel after one use. For me, it was the mineral deposit in ORS, yes on ALL of my hair after the FIRST use. For affirm, I don’t know what it is, but it must be something. I know you liked affirm and all, but everything works differently on everyone else’s hair. That’s all. I’m not simply trying to bash affirm. I’m just trying to make a general point.

We can agree to disagree. That's fine. :) Maybe I didn’t convey my point well or clearly enough. I know you said that I don’t make sense. But what makes more sense to me is that people know their own hair and how it feels.-- Now THAT's common sense.

Nazarite27

starz said:
This relaxer is just too strong for me. My stylist applies regular strength with lye. It leaves my hair so flat after a touch up and I've noticed thinning. Who else is leaving Affirm alone?

Because of those SAME issues...I left that perm alone in 2004.

Cayenne0622

SGIRL - how do you feel about Silk Elements? I noticed that you said you were currently using that one since you couldn't get your hands on the Affiirm, or something to that effect?

PS You all make some good points. I really do think the OVERALL feeling of our hair (post relaxer) heavily depends on its condition at the time we get the relaxer and the products used immediately after the relaxer. Products that are heavy ALS (aluminum lauryl soldium - shampoos) can really dry your hair out badly. I'm going to do some research on AFFIRM's products that immediately follow the relaxer. I ain't gonna lie. The first time I got AFFIRM put on my hair it was done by a stylist so from the application to the bowl to rinse out and whatever she used to shampoo and condition it - I HAVE NO CLUE. All I know is when she walked me back to the chair and I sat down and looked at my hair in the mirror it looked very dry and frizzy...and it was still dripping wet. I couldn't believe it! Again, the only way I'll be able to tell if its the relaxer is if I self relax and use all the steps.

I still want to know about Silk Elements though. ;)

bluediamond0829

i know i have short hair..but i have used Affirm also...just my personal experience last year...my hair was a okay length(neck length)...i ordered Affirm off the internet and self relaxed at home but when i would be at home and curl my hair my hair would be good...then when i would go outside my hair was just as dry and stringy looking and it made it look like i didnt even have a relaxer...so i thought well maybe i didnt apply the relaxer correctly...so i did a corrector(i think thats what its called) because i usually was use to using box relaxers such PCJ, Just For Me...still had the same problem....so i went and started getting weaves...

so fast forward to this year..i cut my hair short...my old stylist thats all she used on my hair...that was fine because my hair was short and layered...but when she left and i desperately needed a relaxer i searched around and went to a lady that used Vitale relaxer...i was in between hairstylist also...oh wow my hair had so much body even with it growing out of the short cut....and it looked so thick....i loved it...so just recently i went and got my hair relaxed with Affirm Mild about a week ago and my relaxer looks so flat and my hair looks so thin...i really hated it...i wanted just to tie my head up...

so i maybe looking into learning how to self-relax myself with Vitale or a different relaxer because i didnt care for how Affirm was on my hair...or see if she could switch me to using Eluence relaxer instead...

OneInAMillion

This thread brings up some interesting points. I've only used three different relaxers (Dudley's, Nairobi, & Affirm). Affirm is probably just too strong for me, but I find it a strange coincidence that so many others experienced the dry, flat, dull hair behind this.

Just wanted to add that there is something to relaxers that must affect hair length. Simply going by how my hair feels after a relaxer, Dudley's has always made my hair very silky. I left it to tryAffirm, and then after a long stretch, I went back to Dudley's. My hair had that silky feeling from root to tip, even though I had Affirm somewhere in the middle. I doubt it was the neutralizing shampoo that caused this effect.

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
Cayenne0622 said:
SGIRL - how do you feel about Silk Elements? I noticed that you said you were currently using that one since you couldn't get your hands on the Affiirm, or something to that effect?

PS You all make some good points. I really do think the OVERALL feeling of our hair (post relaxer) heavily depends on its condition at the time we get the relaxer and the products used immediately after the relaxer. Products that are heavy ALS (aluminum lauryl soldium - shampoos) can really dry your hair out badly. I'm going to do some research on AFFIRM's products that immediately follow the relaxer. I ain't gonna lie. The first time I got AFFIRM put on my hair it was done by a stylist so from the application to the bowl to rinse out and whatever she used to shampoo and condition it - I HAVE NO CLUE. All I know is when she walked me back to the chair and I sat down and looked at my hair in the mirror it looked very dry and frizzy...and it was still dripping wet. I couldn't believe it! Again, the only way I'll be able to tell if its the relaxer is if I self relax and use all the steps.

I still want to know about Silk Elements though. ;)

I like the Silk Elements. If I continue to self-relax, I will continue to use this. I did find their neutralizing shampoo to be very drying. So the 2nd time I self-relaxed, I used the Profectiv neutralizing poo. My hair felt much better.

I will also say that I didn't get my hair as straight the first time. I was doing my whole head in one sitting and I'm just too slow for that. I had to rinse before alot of my hair was as straight as I would have liked. The 2nd time, I decided to relax one side at a time. I had time to get it really straight and to smooth through thoroughly. Perhaps, I got it alittle too straight this time!

As with all relaxers, the end result does depend on the product (how strong or weak it really is) and then it also depends on the application process. Some apply heavy-handed. Some don't. Some smooth with a comb, some don't. Lots of factors to consider -- I loved the fact that SE didn't burn quickly and seemed very gentle-if you can say that about a relaxer. :D

NeeSee

OneInAMillion said:
This thread brings up some interesting points. I've only used three different relaxers (Dudley's, Nairobi, & Affirm). Affirm is probably just too strong for me, but I find it a strange coincidence that so many others experienced the dry, flat, dull hair behind this.

Just wanted to add that there is something to relaxers that must affect hair length. Simply going by how my hair feels after a relaxer, Dudley's has always made my hair very silky. I left it to tryAffirm, and then after a long stretch, I went back to Dudley's. My hair had that silky feeling from root to tip, even though I had Affirm somewhere in the middle. I doubt it was the neutralizing shampoo that caused this effect.

How do you feel about Nairobi?

Well_Coiffed

I'm sorry to hear you've had an unpleasant experience with Affirm.

I personally love Affirm and my stylist uses it to texlax my hair. My hair has body and bounce and never is flat. Mizani always left my hair flat (but gorgeous), if it wasn't rollerset. My stylist said that the difference is the chemical base of the relaxers. Mizani is sodium hydroxide based (no mixing) and Affirm is calcium hydroxide mixed with guanidine carbonate (activator), which is referred to as "no-lye." You may need another type of Affirm for your hair. Most importantly the stylist has to make sure that the Affirm is being mixed appropriately for your hair type.

Don't mean to lecture, but it seems that there could be more to this.

Good luck in finding your great relaxer!

Last edited:

OneInAMillion

Adrian said:
How do you feel about Nairobi?

I would have to try it again to give a better opinion. I was severly underprocessed, but that's because the beautician saw how fine my hair was and was scared to leave it on too long or smooth. I haven't relaxed since that incidence, just because I see that underprocessing is a problem too :perplexed .

I would try it again though, just because I know it's gentle enough.

Shea

I used affirm for the first time in July, and I did'nt like it either. It did leave my hair dry and thin. Now I'm taking vitamins (biotin) and MTG to build my hair back to its natural thickness. I like Mizani though

MizaniMami

NewYorkgyrl said:

This is very true. After every successful relaxer that I get, my WHOLE head feels soft and silky and the reverse for an unsuccessful relaxer. A lot of times I want to relax because after my newgrowth gets outta control my whole hair doesn't act right. Every single time I relax (successfully or with a good relaxer) my ends feel great too.

Don't know how it happens, but it does. Don't have any "scientific" facts or nothing but it does happen. I have never had one time when I was proven wrong on my specific hair. And NO I don't overprocess.

Cayenne0622

Well_Coiffed said:
I'm sorry to hear you've had an unpleasant experience with Affirm.

I personally love Affirm and my stylist uses it to texlax my hair. My hair has body and bounce and never is flat. Mizani always left my hair flat (but gorgeous), if it wasn't rollerset. My stylist said that the difference is the chemical base of the relaxers. Mizani is sodium hydroxide based (no mixing) and Affirm is calcium hydroxide mixed with guanidine carbonate (activator), which is referred to as "no-lye." You may need another type of Affirm for your hair. Most importantly the stylist has to make sure that the Affirm is being mixed appropriately for your hair type.

Don't mean to lecture, but it seems that there could be more to this.

Good luck in finding your great relaxer!

Hmmmm....this probably answers a lot of the dryness questions. I've read in a couple of places that no-lye relaxers are drying for the hair and can cause you to experience more damage because it leaves the cuticle layer open (or something to that effect). I believe there is a lye and no lye version of Affirm but I have no idea which one the stylist did on me a month and a half ago.

Cayenne0622

Hey SGirl. Thanks for the info on your experience with Silk Elements. Question for you....do you know if there is something in the SE Neutralizing shampoo that causes it to be drying? I'd like to know what you think it my be so that I can avoid that ingredient while I look for a neutralizing shampoo. I'll need one if I use SE about 3 weeks from now and I don't need anything drying my hair out....it does enough allll by itself. lol

Tee

I have had the Affirm used on my hair for over 6 year with no problems. My beautician always used a Mild on me when I thought I should have had a regular. She said to many ladies think they needed something strong when they really do not. Anyway, I have never had dryness problems with Affirm. I really believe it has a lot to do with what other products used after the touch up.

*Affirm did burn me from time to time. so she never left it in very long.*

erin558

Yeah it leaves my hair very flat and lifeless. I told my stylist and we are switching to something else.