No More Affirm For Me

starz

This relaxer is just too strong for me. My stylist applies regular strength with lye. It leaves my hair so flat after a touch up and I've noticed thinning. Who else is leaving Affirm alone?

HighlyFavored1

I had to leave it alone as well. It left my hair super straight with no life at all and so that made it weaker. I used to love the light wispy feeling it gave to my hair but I eventually realized that was making it too easy for my hair to break. You might want to try Affirm Fiberguard Mild?

NewYorkgyrl

I tired affirm one time (the lye) and it was the worst thing I ever did to my hair. And I had it professionally done by a stylist that is very liked by this board.

atlien11

<whispers phtyo> :assimilat

Just kidding but reallly, i used affirm for awhile and my hair just kept getting thinner and more lifeless with ea. use (although i used the no-lye which was horrid). As i am getting trims i am slowly cutting the hair permed with affrim out and my hair has gotten a lot thicker now that the phyto permed hair is taking over.

starz said:
This relaxer is just too strong for me. My stylist applies regular strength with lye. It leaves my hair so flat after a touch up and I've noticed thinning. Who else is leaving Affirm alone?

I love affirm, I've used it for years and I used to use it on my clients when I worked in a salon. I used the kind that you mix with the activator not the kind in the tub. The kind you mix, you can either make it mild, regular or strong depending on the amount of activator you put in the mixture. I have never had a problem nor have any of my clients. I have alot of body in my hair after my relaxer. Sorry you had a bad experience with Affirm. I can't see using any other relaxer

atlien11 said:
<whispers phtyo> :assimilat

Just kidding but reallly, i used affirm for awhile and my hair just kept getting thinner and more lifeless with ea. use (although i used the no-lye which was horrid). As i am getting trims i am slowly cutting the hair permed with affrim out and my hair has gotten a lot thicker now that the phyto permed hair is taking over.

I have always wanted to use Phyto relaxer since I heard about it. The only thing is, I can't purchase it at the Professional BSS and I don't like ordering my products off the internet. Maybe I'll visit the Sephoria stere here and see if they carry it or if they can order it for me

shunta

Me!!! Im leaving Affirm alone, too. Ive used it for a while now, and after much research, Im finding out that it leaves my hair too dry and dull. I was using the no lye for sensitive scalp. No more Affirm for me, either!!:mad: My new stylist just retouched with Elasta QP lye, but for my next retouch I think Im gonna try the infamous Silk Elements Megasilk lye in regular. Wish me luck!!!;)

glamazon386

I had the same problem. My thin hair kept breaking from the Affirm. It made it too straight. I switched to Mizani 2 years ago and my hair has been much better since. However my mother faithfully relaxes with it every 8 weeks. Her hairs never been healthier. Her hair is also a lot thicker than mines.

Last edited:

NeeSee

I hate this relaxer. It made my hair so dry and it burned some of my hair out. I have never had a relaxer to burn my scalp this bad. I was heartbroken because I had read info on this relaxer for years and I thought it was liquid gold or something. I thought it was the answer to all my hair woes. The last three touch-ups I've used Phyto and I like it a lot. But I want to give Elucence a try.

shunta

Adrian said:
I hate this relaxer. It made my hair so dry and it burned some of my hair out. I have never had a relaxer to burn my scalp this bad. I was heartbroken because I had read info on this relaxer for years and I thought it was liquid gold or something. I thought it was the answer to all my hair woes. The last three touch-ups I've used Phyto and I like it a lot. But I want to give Elucence a try.
Me, too!!! Everyone was talking about how "wonderful" Affirm was, so I kept sticking with it like a dummy!! Never again :(

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
I've been a frequent user of Affirm and never had a problem with it. I'm currently using Silk Elements, but only because I can't get Affirm unless I order it online or go to a professional.

Design Essentials is probably my favorite relaxer though. :)

Cayenne0622

okay, now i'm nervous. i just recently started using affirm because of recommendations from my friends. i noticed the first time the stylist used it, my hair was sooooooooooooooo dry and i left the salon heart broken. when i got home and applied my products it ended up looking nice. a different stylist applied it the second time. i don't know if it was too drying this time because i also got sebastian colorshines done and it adds moisture, color, and shine. but i have been having a lot of shedding which i hadn't had in a very long time . i don't whether the relaxer is too strong for me or not. i'm going to call the stylist and ask her if she has a mild one and which did she use on my hair. its so hard to find a good relaxer. design essetials was too strong. i used designer's touch mild for years and i was pretty happy with it. i may have to go back to that since i now know how to self relax correctly from you guys.

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
Cayenne0622 said:
okay, now i'm nervous. i just recently started using affirm because of recommendations from my friends. i noticed the first time the stylist used it, my hair was sooooooooooooooo dry and i left the salon heart broken. when i got home and applied my products it ended up looking nice. a different stylist applied it the second time. i don't know if it was too drying this time because i also got sebastian colorshines done and it adds moisture, color, and shine. but i have been having a lot of shedding which i hadn't had in a very long time . i don't whether the relaxer is too strong for me or not. i'm going to call the stylist and ask her if she has a mild one and which did she use on my hair. its so hard to find a good relaxer. design essetials was too strong. i used designer's touch mild for years and i was pretty happy with it. i may have to go back to that since i now know how to self relax correctly from you guys.

I don't see how the Affirm relaxer would've made your hair dry if only the roots were being touched up. Since it was your first Affirm relaxer, if it made any part of your hair dry, it would have only been the new growth. So, I might conclude that if your hair was dry, it was caused by something else unless you are just talking about the new growth being dry and not the rest of your hair.

ubavka123

ITA! Affirm saved my hair! I use the regular and it never gets my hair too straight. As a matter of fact, I am texlaxed (and loving it) because of Affirm (and a new stylist!). My hair has thickened up so much since I started using it over a year ago. I also think that we can be quick to blame the relaxer sometimes, when we really should be blaming the person who applies it. My stylist never smoothes the relaxer onto my hair, so it never gets that bone straight look.

I hated Mizani, because it ruined my hair. It was flat and overprocessed. But maybe that is not the relaxer's fault, you know? Now I think that it was the stylist's fault. I dumped her a while back. Looking back, I recall that she overlapped always, so my hair thinned out over time. I think that the relaxer may have been strong for my hair, but a trained stylist would know when to rinse it so that my hair would not be overprocessed. I hope that I am making sense. I guess I am just saying that you should consider how the relaxer is being applied first. If it is being applied properly, then you can assume it is not for your hair. If it is being applied in the wrong manner or left on too long, it might be your stylist. Also, dryness can be attributed to more than just the relaxer itself. It can also depend on what products are used in styling after the relaxer process. Good luck whatever relaxer you choose.

Supergirl said:
I've been a frequent user of Affirm and never had a problem with it. :)

Last edited:

NewYorkgyrl

Supergirl said:
I don't see how the Affirm relaxer would've made your hair dry if only the roots were being touched up. Since it was your first Affirm relaxer, if it made any part of your hair dry, it would have only been the new growth. So, I might conclude that if your hair was dry, it was caused by something else unless you are just talking about the new growth being dry and not the rest of your hair.

This is the same thing that someone else posted when I created a thread complaining about Affirm.

Now that somone is having the SAME complaint I believe even more that it was the relaxer. Yes it was applied to the ROOTS but when that thing is washed out........... ummmm it kinda does touch the hair even of it is only for a couple of seconds to a minute.

My hair was never the same after that it was so dry no matter how much moisture I put in it or clarifying I did. It took a quite a few weeks of washing and treatments to get it somewhat to what is was before this HORRIBLE relaxer.

OneInAMillion

NewYorkgyrl said:
This is the same thing that someone else posted when I created a thread complaining about Affirm.

Now that somone is having the SAME complaint I believe even more that it was the relaxer. Yes it was applied to the ROOTS but when that thing is washed out........... ummmm it kinda does touch the hair even of it is only for a couple of seconds to a minute.

My hair was never the same after that it was so dry no matter how much moisture I put in it or clarifying I did. It took a quite a few weeks of washing and treatments to get it somewhat to what is was before this HORRIBLE relaxer.

I had this experience as well. I used affirm once, and it was the worst thing that could have happened to my hair. From root to tip, my hair was overprocessed and thin, even though just the roots were done. I'm not quite sure how it happened, but I know my hair became very dry, brittle, and thin immediately afterward. I'll never go near this relaxer again!

I will say this, I have fine hair to begin with, so I need the most gentle relaxers anyway. Not quite sure how this would work on a more coarse head of hair.

shunta

OneInAMillion said:
I had this experience as well. I used affirm once, and it was the worst thing that could have happened to my hair. From root to tip, my hair was overprocessed and thin, even though just the roots were done. I'm not quite sure how it happened, but I know my hair became very dry, brittle, and thin immediately afterward. I'll never go near this relaxer again!

I will say this, I have fine hair to begin with, so I need the most gentle relaxers anyway. Not quite sure how this would work on a more coarse head of hair.
I totally agree with both of you. Many people who have used Affirm agree on one thing- that it makes your hair dry and dull. I thought it was just me. But how can soooo many people have the same complaint if it were not true to a certain extent? I thought the whole time that it was just my imagination, but Im glad to see now that I was wrong.

Last edited:

Cayenne0622

Supergirl said:

You may be right but since I couldn't see how the stylist was applying the relaxer (and I think I was a bit too trusting) I don't know if she overlapped or not. It may also have been the products she used on my hair because i did notice that when I got home and applied my serum and hair oil, my shine appeared and my hair seemed happier. This is why I think I should attempt a self-relax with this product (the mild) before I decide to stop doing it. I, for the most part, have always self relaxed until recently so I know what my hair should feel like. If I do it for myself once, I'll be able to tell.

Thanks for the input. :grin:

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
Ladies, one application of a particular relaxer cannot make ALL of your hair dry. :nono: Now, I could see if someone has had several to many applications of that relaxer over time and it just doesn't agree with their hair or as someone else pointed out, it could be the person applying it that's causing problems.

But again, please don't get into the mindset of thinking that a single application of a specific relaxer is making all of your hair dry. Even if the relaxer creme does travel down the shaft as it's rinsed, it's not touching the strand nearly long enough to have any lasting effect on the hair.

Come on, we know better than this!

Supergirl said:
Ladies, one application of a particular relaxer cannot make ALL of your hair dry. :nono: Now, I could see if someone has had several to many applications of that relaxer over time and it just doesn't agree with their hair or as someone else pointed out, it could be the person applying it that's causing problems.

But again, please don't get into the mindset of thinking that a single application of a specific relaxer is making all of your hair dry. Even if the relaxer creme does travel down the shaft as it's rinsed, it's not touching the strand nearly long enough to have any lasting effect on the hair.

Come on, we know better than this!

I agree. Maybe it's the followup products that are messing things up (ie. 5 in 1 reconstructor.)

senimoni

For those who don't like Affirm Lye, do you know if your stylist is using it correctly, ie the protein before you neutralize?? I know a lot of stylist skip that step, I wonder if that could be the culprit, or if its just ymmv. I love Affirm.

NewYorkgyrl

CandiceC said:
I agree. Maybe it's the followup products that are messing things up (ie. 5 in 1 reconstructor.)

You could be right about that 5 in 1 reconstructor. I had never used that thing on my hair before until the day I tried that stupis Affirm.

But then that means that everyone who is experiencing all of the SAME EXACT issues has hair that does not respond well to this reconstructor. Sounds kinda extreme.... but possible.

NewYorkgyrl said:
You could be right about that 5 in 1 reconstructor. I had never used that thing on my hair before until the day I tried that stupis Affirm.

But then that means that everyone who is experiencing all of the SAME EXACT issues has hair that does not respond well to this reconstructor. Sounds kinda extreme.... but possible.

Since the 5 in 1 is applied to the whole head of hair that's the more possible culprit for the ladies here who had problems with Affirm. More possible than the relaxer messing up someone's previously relaxed hair as it's being rinsed out as opposed to only the new growth.

B

Bublnbrnsuga

Affirm was my first relaxer, when I was relaxing. That mess burned the crap out my scalp. Formulated for sensitive scalp my *(*&&^.

secretdiamond

At first, I understood those that are saying that one application of a relaxer can't do anything to your hair like make it dry, but the more I think about it, the more I disagree b/c then that means that PART of the argument against using no-lyes is completely false since people are always saying that the mineral residue can coat the strands, blocking out moisture and therefore, drying the hair.

This is what happened to me when I switched to ORS. The dryness and roughness was immediate. I had to keep clarifying and clarifying. My hair did not return to normal until weeks after. I know this for sure & know I'm not mistaken.

So I think that this can happen with a lye relaxer as well. Granted, it may not be due to mineral deposits but it can be due to some other ingredient in the relaxer that coats or even penetrates the hair strands to make it dry. Just like when people use a relaxer their hair agrees with (i.e. Silk Elements, Phyto, etc.) and rave how the REST of their hair was silkier or smoother, etc after the FIRST use. *Some* ingredient in that particular relaxer coated the strands to make it feel silkier and softer. Thus, the same can apply for the dryness a relaxer can cause after one application.

Now I highly doubt this dryness on the previously relaxed hair is permanent but I don't think that people are crazy or wrong when they can feel their own hair and the dryness. I think this b/c the dryness for ORS lasted only until I was able to lift the mineral deposits out of my hair with several clarifying treatments (which I knew would happen when I decided to use a no-lye).

Last edited:

blackmaven

Anything Is Possible
I am a huge fan of the affirm relaxer my hair is silky, bouncy and straight. I have been getting my relaxer at Avlon Industries manufacturer of Affirm testing salon in Melrose Park for free. I was given a consultation followed by a relaxer split ends clipped. The hair stylist there are the first beauticians to ever tell me my hair does not need to be relaxed except every three months. I never knew Keracare was the product line to use with affirm. Previous stylist did not put something (not sure) on my hair before relaxing it to protect it. My hair is just beautiful plus I no longer pay for relaxing!!!!

shawniegee

New Cut for '09
secretdiamond said:
At first, I understood those that are saying that one application of a relaxer can't do anything to your hair like make it dry, but the more I think about it, the more I disagree b/c then that means that PART of the argument against using no-lyes is completely false since people are always saying that the mineral residue can coat the strands, blocking out moisture and therefore, drying the hair.

This is what happened to me when I switched to ORS. The dryness and roughness was immediate. I had to keep clarifying and clarifying. My hair did not return to normal until weeks after. I know this for sure & know I'm not mistaken.

So I think that this can happen with a lye relaxer as well. Granted, it may not be due to mineral deposits but it can be due to some other ingredient in the relaxer that coats or even penetrates the hair strands to make it dry. Just like when people use a relaxer their hair agrees with (i.e. Silk Elements, Phyto, etc.) and rave how the REST of their hair was silkier or smoother, etc after the FIRST use. *Some* ingredient in that particular relaxer coated the strands to make it feel silkier and softer. Thus, the same can apply for the dryness a relaxer can cause after one application.

Now I highly doubt this dryness on the previously relaxer hair is permanent but I don't think that people are crazy or wrong when they can feel their own hair and the dryness. I think this b/c the dryness for ORS lasted only until I wash was able to lift the mineral deposits out of my hair with several clarifying treatments (which I knew would happen when I decided to use a no-lye).

In total agreement.

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
secretdiamond said:

Now I highly doubt this dryness on the previously relaxer hair is permanent but I don't think that people are crazy or wrong when they can feel their own hair and the dryness. I think this b/c the dryness for ORS lasted only until I wash was able to lift the mineral deposits out of my hair with several clarifying treatments (which I knew would happen when I decided to use a no-lye).

Still doesn't make sense. When I was getting the Nairobi relaxer, my hair that was relaxed with Nairobi felt super-silky, but not the rest of my hair that had been relaxed with a non-Nairobi relaxer. This is common sense. The only exception I could see would be if someone is SEVERELY overlapping their relaxer.

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
aniecy1 said:
I am a huge fan of the affirm relaxer my hair is silky, bouncy and straight. I have been getting my relaxer at Avlon Industries manufacturer of Affirm testing salon in Melrose Park for free. I was given a consultation followed by a relaxer split ends clipped. The hair stylist there are the first beauticians to ever tell me my hair does not need to be relaxed except every three months. I never knew Keracare was the product line to use with affirm. Previous stylist did not put something (not sure) on my hair before relaxing it to protect it. My hair is just beautiful plus I no longer pay for relaxing!!!!

Wow, what an unbelievable treat!