NJOY'S HAIR CONCOTION CHALLENGE

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
I can't wait until after I relax my hair to start applying my mix again. I feel like I'm missing out on some growth.

KaramelDiva1978

KiWiStyle, I came here to post the exact same thing!! I am going to relax next Saturday and I have stopped using my mix so that I can do so comfortably on these 10 weeks of newgrowth! So in the meantime I'm upping my co-washes and protective styling and taking my vitamins but I miss my sulphur oil :sad:. I really miss how soft my newgrowth was when I used it too, using my Wen to get the similar effect......just not the same. :nono:

NJoy

Here I grow again!
Ok. So it's been one month since I BC'd. Showing my latest length check from 9/18 and today (10/20)

I plan to take another pic at the end of this month so that I can start doing my comparison length checks at the end of each month.

HHG, ladies!

Attachments

• 9-18-12.jpg
    9-18-12.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 133
  • 10-20-12.jpg
    10-20-12.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 129
  • Oct20-12.jpg
    Oct20-12.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 136

Meritamen

On a happy hair journey
Well dang NJoy! Talk about motivation! How many times a week do you apply your sulfur oil?
*sigh* I'm still waiting on my sulfur powder. It's still stuck in freakin' NY. :( Gonna grease my scalp tonight.

NJoy

Here I grow again!
Well dang @NJoy! Talk about motivation! How many times a week do you apply your sulfur oil?
*sigh* I'm still waiting on my sulfur powder. It's still stuck in freakin' NY. :( Gonna grease my scalp tonight.

Meritamen

3-5x/wk. No longer tippy toe'g around transitioning hair, thank goodness.

jbwphoto1

Has anyone been using their mix to grow out an alopecia bald spot? If so, what kind of results are you having compared to use on the rest of your scalp?

KaramelDiva1978

So I just checked my hair for anything spectacular and I'm disappointed to see I've only gained an inch of growth for ten weeks. I was really hoping for at least an inch and a half. Some places show a tad more than inch but nothing spectacular as I said. I do love the oil on my newgrowth because its soft and manageable but I really wanted a growth spurt. How have you ladies fairer since the September 1st kickoff?

KunnyLove

jbwphoto1 said:
Has anyone been using their mix to grow out an alopecia bald spot? If so, what kind of results are you having compared to use on the rest of your scalp?

hi JBWPhoto1, I have been diagnosed by a dermatologist as having CCCA, a type of alopecia that moves outward from the crown. I will try my best to upload a picture for you of my spot (this is literally my very first post...long time lurker, first time poster) has the sulfur mix alone THICKENED hair in the area for me, NO. had the sulfur mix and dermatologist medication GROWN hair in the area, YES. but it's VERY THIN AND FRAGILE. sometimes after I massage my scalp, I can see the little baby hairs on my fingers. hope this helps? the pictures are in order of oldest to most recent. and be advise IMO my mini-braid pics in comparison to loose hair gives the illusion of major growth because of parting. in addition, my bald spot parts are not in the same place in all pics.

Attachments

• image-749113015.jpg
    image-749113015.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 64
  • image-1640790127.jpg
    image-1640790127.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 55
  • image-683517047.jpg
    image-683517047.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 59
  • image-2652378404.jpg
    image-2652378404.jpg
    443.8 KB · Views: 60
  • image-486758921.jpg
    image-486758921.jpg
    482.1 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
KaramelDiva1978 said:
So I just checked my hair for anything spectacular and I'm disappointed to see I've only gained an inch of growth for ten weeks. I was really hoping for at least an inch and a half. Some places show a tad more than inch but nothing spectacular as I said. I do love the oil on my newgrowth because its soft and manageable but I really wanted a growth spurt. How have you ladies fairer since the September 1st kickoff?

No, I'm not seeing any spectacular growth either. I could be wrong but I don't think I've gone beyond my normal growth rate. I only apply 2-3 times a week so that could be why. I haven't straightened my NG either since starting the challenge so my observation may or may not be accurate. I will know for sure on Friday. My goal is to reach APL by 12/31, APL for me is line 4 on my length check shirt so we shall see.

KaramelDiva1978

No, I'm not seeing any spectacular growth either. I could be wrong but I don't think I've gone beyond my normal growth rate. I only apply 2-3 times a week so that could be why. I haven't straightened my NG either since starting the challenge so my observation may or may not be accurate. I will know for sure on Friday. My goal is to reach APL by 12/31, APL for me is line 4 on my length check shirt so we shall see.

Glad to know its not just me then. I did apply 4-5 times a week and I'm working out, drinking more water and protein shakes. I put on my hair length shirt from justgrowalready.com and I am at the 10 mark, past APL. True length will show after my relaxer on Saturday. It would be great to hit BSL by Dec 31st. I am definitely going to keep doing my oil and add some Hairfinity to my regimen to finish 2012 strong.

QueenAmaka

Live, Love, Laugh :)
Applied last night. I've been having great results. I try to use daily but that doesn't always happen :) I'm 4 months post and plan to relax in 2 months. I might even go longer. Maintenance on my hair has been pretty easy: deep condition weekly on dry hair, air dry and braid hair (2 celies) then its back to daily wig wearing.

greenandchic

Not seeing any major growth either. I'm hoping to get 1/2" per month, but I'm not seeing that. I apply the mix 4+ days a week and wash every 3-4 days.

Atdow71

Co washed, applied my mix & baggying.
I've seen some growth, but not enough to knock my socks off. I'll continue to use my mix till my entire bottle of sulfur powder is finished. I might try some other oils when I make my next batch.

Meritamen

On a happy hair journey
My sublimed sulfur powder came in the mail! I made my sulfur oil from castor oil, grapeseed oil, and jojoba oil for 4oz total with 1/2 tsp of sulfur. Doing a test patch on my wrist and so far so good. I'm thinking about maybe making it stronger like 5%. Won't be able to start using it till Saturday though. :(

fuchsiastar

I will try my best to upload a picture for you of my spot (this is literally my very first post...long time lurker, first time poster) has the sulfur mix alone THICKENED hair in the area for me, NO. had the sulfur mix and dermatologist medication GROWN hair in the area, YES.

Welcome!!!!!! :congrats: on making your first post!!! That's the way you make a first post, giving helpful information AND pictures.

We don't have to worry about giving you the infamous :needpics: smiley either!!! :yep: :yep:

Keep posting and :welcome:

NJoy

Here I grow again!
Just a thought. If you're not seeing growth, make sure you're not getting build up on your scalp. Since I use oils on my scalp regularly, I try to prevent getting build up or clogging pores by doing ocassional acv rinses and doing scalp-only washing by alternating between sls and non-sls shampoos. Also, from time to time I make a brown sugar scalp scrub by mixing a couple tbs of brown sugar with a little jojoba oil and peppermint (and sometimes tea treee) essential oils and gently massage that on my scalp before a cowash.

Also, if you're substituting oils, make sure they're scalp-friendly, penetrating oils. It is SO important to make sure your scalp is cleaned regularly and can breathe...for a lack of better terms.

Also, I like to massage my scalp before I get in the shower after having the mix on my hair overnight. I get renewed tingles and I feel the act of massaging may loosen and dislodge dead skin flakes or scalp debris (again, for a lack of better term. :look:).

Consistency is key. Also keep in mind your own growth patterns. Some peoples hair thickens and then lengthens and then repeats. Or, your hair could be in a temporary rest phase. Who knows but you, since you know your hair best. :yep:

And, I cannot stress enough, EXPECT growth and keep growing! :yay:

greenandchic, I have used mustard oil too, btw. Pungent but warming. Not bad.

DominicanBrazilian82

NJoy said:
...Also, from time to time I make a brown sugar scalp scrub by mixing a couple tbs of brown sugar with a little jojoba oil and peppermint (and sometimes tea treee) essential oils...

NJoy... This sounds heavenly. Will definitely try :)

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

NJoy

Here I grow again!

jbwphoto1

I had a bald spot about the size of a nickel that came out of nowhere. It was related to the stress of losing my mom but, like a month or two afterwards. Dr said there's usually a delayed reaction after intense period of stress.

I upped the amount of jbco in my mix and it filled in pretty quickly. I can't remember how long it took but I do know that new strands started coming up relatively quickly.

When I first found it, I was massaging my scalp and it freaked me out. I decided not to focus on it and just made sure I applied some mix on it while massaging the rest of my scalp. It was easy to feel but I didn't want to look at it. When I started feeling the new growth coming in, I could see the area filling in but again, I didn't want to look at it much. Before I knew it, I just couldn't find it when searching for it. Thank God!

But again, I don't remember how long it took to fill in because I was trying not to think about it. When I first found it, I thought it was going to be the beginning of something terrible. So I changed my focus to how long the rest of my hair was. Otherwise, I surely would've stressed the rest of my hair off. :ohwell: (At least, that's what I thought)

Anywho, here's a pic.

It still bothers me to see it but, it's gone now. Thankfully. :yep: And look at those grays showing out. I was under SO much constant stress. Wow. :sad:

jbwphoto1

hi JBWPhoto1, I have been diagnosed by a dermatologist as having CCCA, a type of alopecia that moves outward from the crown. I will try my best to upload a picture for you of my spot (this is literally my very first post...long time lurker, first time poster) has the sulfur mix alone THICKENED hair in the area for me, NO. had the sulfur mix and dermatologist medication GROWN hair in the area, YES. but it's VERY THIN AND FRAGILE. sometimes after I massage my scalp, I can see the little baby hairs on my fingers. hope this helps? the pictures are in order of oldest to most recent. and be advise IMO my mini-braid pics in comparison to loose hair gives the illusion of major growth because of parting. in addition, my bald spot parts are not in the same place in all pics.

That's similar to the bald spot I started with, mine was just over half of my scalp. I've gotten all but the crown to come back in. I think wearing wigs may be what's stopping it as I used two strand twists in the beginning.

Do you remember what the dermatologist prescribed?

Congrats on your first post. Thanks so much for showing pics. I don't think I could ever show the ones I was sending to the insurance company every week.

KunnyLove

jbwphoto1 said:
That's similar to the bald spot I started with, mine was just over half of my scalp. I've gotten all but the crown to come back in. I think wearing wigs may be what's stopping it as I used two strand twists in the beginning.

Do you remember what the dermatologist prescribed?

Congrats on your first post. Thanks so much for showing pics. I don't think I could ever show the ones I was sending to the insurance company every week.

no problem dearie! I'm just happy to help. I love these forums and finally being able to share information is truly a blessing especially since I have learned so much here!

www.societyhilldermatology.com/articles_ccca.html

First, she gave me Vanos which did NOT work at all. After my scalp biopsy, I was diagnosed with CCCA (see above link from my doctors page). She then gave me Mupiricin (topical antibiotic), Clobetasol (topical anti-inflammatory), and antibiotic pills. I can't remember the pills sorry but it's one of the three listed on the website. So what I do is take the pill and slather the medication daily. Every other day (at least three times a week) I do my sulfur mix either using the baggy method OR using the sulfur as a HOT on my roots only and using other oils on the length of my hair. and as u can see from the pics the hairs are definitely filling out around the bald spot in a weird straight line almost? I'm going to give it 4 more months. if no change additional change, I may need to switch medication again. I see the doctor in two months and will be more than happy to post new pics/give progress info.

KunnyLove

fuchsiastar said:
Welcome!!!!!! :congrats: on making your first post!!! That's the way you make a first post, giving helpful information AND pictures.

We don't have to worry about giving you the infamous :needpics: smiley either!!! :yep: :yep:

Keep posting and :welcome:

THANK YOU! I have learned from the bests on this site! I always remember seeing the :needpics: lol! now I just gotta learn how to make those darn cute smileys!

thatscuteright

I have been slacking but off from work today and just applied and massaged my scalp with the concoction. Love the tingling feeling.

BW1

I've been applying at least 5 days a week and have never felt it tingle. Is this proof that's it's working? I hope not because I want some extra growth. Also, I originally committed to 4 months I believe I will be extending it to 6 months instead.

KaramelDiva1978

Just a thought. If you're not seeing growth, make sure you're not getting build up on your scalp. Since I use oils on my scalp regularly, I try to prevent getting build up or clogging pores by doing ocassional acv rinses and doing scalp-only washing by alternating between sls and non-sls shampoos. Also, from time to time I make a brown sugar scalp scrub by mixing a couple tbs of brown sugar with a little jojoba oil and peppermint (and sometimes tea treee) essential oils and gently massage that on my scalp before a cowash.

Also, if you're substituting oils, make sure they're scalp-friendly, penetrating oils. It is SO important to make sure your scalp is cleaned regularly and can breathe...for a lack of better terms.

Also, I like to massage my scalp before I get in the shower after having the mix on my hair overnight. I get renewed tingles and I feel the act of massaging may loosen and dislodge dead skin flakes or scalp debris (again, for a lack of better term. :look:).

Consistency is key. Also keep in mind your own growth patterns. Some peoples hair thickens and then lengthens and then repeats. Or, your hair could be in a temporary rest phase. Who knows but you, since you know your hair best. :yep:

And, I cannot stress enough, EXPECT growth and keep growing! :yay:

@greenandchic, I have used mustard oil too, btw. Pungent but warming. Not bad.

Thank you for this post Njoy, very encouraging! I am definitely seeing growth, I get my 1/2 inch per month without fail, but I was looking for additional growth. I did not change my recipe, I wanted the best results so I used the one you posted. However, from this post, I will incorporate more massages and maybe even co-wash daily since I work out about 4 times per week. I do rotate between SLS and non-SLS poos because I do not want my hair to feel heavy, but I have not tried an ACV rinse. I will not stop using it because I love how soft my newgrowth is while I stretch my relaxers. I will post pics on Saturday after my relaxer, maybe seeing is believing and I will be pleasantly surprised!

Thanks again for your suggestions! More to incorporate when I start applying again in about 2 weeks.

CoiledByNature

@ NJoy acv rinse is apple cider vinegar right?! What are the benefits of this and how is it done? I tried using some the other night but I felt like I was just doing it wrong... Don't know what to mix it with or how to get a lather and I felt like I had to keep pouring huge amounts in my hair to cover ever inch ! HELP!