Newbie saying Hello and asking for your help!

ChikaChika

Hello ladies,

I'm Chika, I've been lurking for a couple of weeks but I dug out the card and bought a subscription and I'm so glad I did!

I've made various hair mistakes over the years and I am hanging my head in shame thinking about them. I mean crazy stuff like relaxing and colouring the braiding all on the same day and being too friendly with the hairdryer, the tongs and my flat iron :nono:

The result = a head of half relaxed half natural hair. Its thin and not doing too good but with your good advice I can hopefully turn it around in 2008. I've finally found out that the products that I thought were helping my hair and scalp were the ones causing the trouble.

I used Dr Miracles stuff for ages and thought that it would cure that dry, tight, flaking, weeping scalp that I had but I now see that it caused it. Thank god I discovered this place otherwiswe I hate to think what might have happened to my hair.

I LOVE reading about you all, seeing your inspirational pictures and I can't wait to prove all the people who said I had "bad hair" wrong! THANK YOU ladies. I think I will do the crown and glory technique for 2008 and see what I end up with in a years time. I'm far too afraid to relax at the moment so I think I'm going to have to learn how to deal with my natural hair. I'm going to have to so a big chop but its soooo hard to get the courage!

Anyway, here is the main question. Does anyone know how to classify my hair. How do you know if you're a 1 2 3 4 a b c or d? if someone couls point me in the right direction I would be eternally grateful. Also please say hi!

Last edited:

HAIRapy

SuperDuper Member
:hiya: Welcome Home Chika! I love this place and I'm sure you will too! :crystalbaYou answer will be coming VERY soon... from your LHCF Sistaz:lachen: I don't want to tell you the wrong thing, but I wanted to welcome you.:yep:

MsMaysRus

Hi Chika,
I'm Carla...It's my first day on the site..so all of this is new to me too! I might have an answer to your question about your hair type. I'm a type 4b.
Try answering a few of these questions and it might help..:drunk:

1. Does your hair have any type of curl whatsoever?

if no then you are either type

1- straight flat hair typical of Asians and Indian women

or

4b- undefined hair that resembles the texture of a cotton ball

if yes then proceed

2. Is your hair wavy or curly?

if wavy then you are type 2 (a,b or c depending on the tightness of the wave) **a being the loosest waves and c being the tighter waves**

if curly you are type 3 (a,b or c depending on the tightness of the curl) **a being the loosest curls and c being curls similar to a marker**

or

type 4a (coils about the size of a crayon/pencil to pensprings)

Last edited:

Zenobia61

WELCOME!!!
I'm a loooooongg-time lurker, but I have learned so much from the sisterhood on this board. Folk like Sareca, CandyC and Dlewis have been inspirational and educational role models for me and I continue to find something new to try everyday. The tip from Dlewis on using Vit E on your nailtips has been working great for me..so you never know what you'll find on this board each and every day!

MrsBurns82

Welcome and congrats. My only advice from a semi newbie perspective is to pace yourself or you will def become a product junkie and your family will have a lhcf intervention.
I REFUSE TO KICK THE HABIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:spinning: