Newbie Needs Help - Overdid the Protein

Researching

Hi Ladies,

Since I did a ORS + Aphogee 2 Min combo last Friday my hair is hard after my co-washes and hard to detangle. :ohwell: No breakage luckly, but I'm still a little nervouse. My hair is fine when dry, but when I co-wash each time I put on the conditioner my hair instantly gets harder. I don't know how to fix this. I've tried pree-pooing with Cream of Nature Moisturizing conditioner for an hour last week and Aussie over night on dry hair this week but when I cowashed with Pantene my hair got harder with each cowash. I'm confused:spinning:. I though non-protein conditioning was the way to fix this. Please Help!

Americka

Yes, you need to avoid any protein at this point. In addition to using a moisturizing conditioner, you need to use a moisturizing DEEP CONDITIONER as well to infuse moisture back into your hair.

Here are some threads on protein overload. Also, make sure you are not using coconut oil because CO prevents protein loss. In other words, it makes the strands hold onto any protein. HTH!

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?p=10397132

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=428364

Last edited:

chelleypie810

Def. listen to amerika and a good moisture condish is AO HSR. When I had protein overload I stopped ALL protein and only used moisture. I bounced back at about week 3.

Researching

Thanks, Where can I get AO HSR con? I've seen great reviews for it on this board cuz Aussie Deep and Cream of Nature just aint cutten it:nono:

Last edited:

chelleypie810

the vitamin shoppe is where I buy mine. If you have a whole foods or natural food market it should be there too.

chellero

Wife Supremacist
I think that one of the main ingredients in AO HSR is coconut oil. But they sell it at vitamin shoppe.

chelleypie810

oh it is!^^ The first ingredient is coconut fatty acid base. Another good one is ION extreme moisture treatment, that can be bought at sallys.

Americka

oh it is!^^ The first ingredient is coconut fatty acid base. Another good one is ION extreme moisture treatment, that can be bought at sallys.

COCONUT FATTY ACID CREAM BASE — Absorption base containing essential fatty acids, coconut fatty alcohols from palm kernels, aloe vera and vitamins A, C and E. Rich in linoleic and linolenic acids (vitamin F), excellent nutrients and skin conditioners. In hair care products, it is often combined with the important amino acids cysteine and methionine, which are high in sulfur and excellent for the hair and scalp.

Taken from: http://www.aubrey-organics.com/custom.aspx?id=60#c

Researching

Wow girls! Thanks for the detailed info. I love anything with coconut. Smells soooo yummy. There's a Vitamin Shoppe near my job. I'll be picking that up ASAP!!

frizzy

Mix honey into whatever moisturizing DC you use. A tbsp. or 2 should be enough to make a difference. Do you have any olive or castor oil. They would be good to add to the mix.