Newbie-growing it out from a buzz cut

MkupTart

For the past 11 years I have worn my hair in a buzz cut- think Amber Rose. I would cut my hair every month. I haven't cut it since early September. I decided to put a relaxer in because frankly I'm not a fan of sporting a small afro and playing with the curls as it grows out of the buzz cut stage.

So I have the relaxer in and it has been about a month. My question is (and I hope it isn't silly) what do I do going forward. Since I put some much product in my hair to slick it down I can't tell what shape my hair is in...i.e. damage, dry. I haven't measured so I don't know if I have an inch of hair or not. But I have noticed my hair becoming more wavy when I unwrap it in the mornings.

Taking care of my hair is not something I have had an interest in...hence the short cut. Because I don't want the curls I do plan on relaxing my hair again but I wonder if I should because it is so short and any relaxer I put might just grow out too fast, thus me re-relaxing will damage new growth.

Can you tell I have no clue :ohwell:

TIA

Ntrlmystik

I used to cut my hair that short all the time when I was relaxed. My hair grew fairly quickly and I got a relaxer almost every three weeks. I would not recommend it because it wreaked havoc on my scalp. However, if you don't like your curls then the only thing to do is relax it. There is not a perfect answer to this. You will be relaxing frequently because the the new growth is more noticeable since yoru hair is short.

MkupTart

Thanks for the reply... Every three weeks! Yup I'm do for a touch-up. I don't mind the relaxing too much. Although right now my scalp is very dry.

bajandoc86

Lipstick Lover
In three weeks you would have enough growth to ensure no overlap? IMHO that's a too frequent to be doing touch-ups. You should check out the relaxed threads...they have tons of useful info. sunnieb can help you there.....hope you don't mind me calling you out sunnie!

MkupTart

I have checked out the relaxer threads but I wasn't able to find any that spoke of anyone relaxing their hair while it is this short. My hair is like a tight cap on my head when completely straight.

To save myself from damage I might just leave the relaxers alone and deal with defining the curls/waves best I can until it has grown a bit more.

MzSwift

When I was rocking short relaxed hair it was always texlaxed.

I rocked that style for about 10 years, alternating between buzz and then texlaxing it as it grew out. I would wash it daily and leave in condish, shake in the shower and go. Now that I know better, I probably would suggest daily cowashing and only shampooing when your hair starts acting up.

Sometimes I'd use gel to slick down the edges but most of the time, the condish was enough. HTH!

The curly, texlaxed look was good that way b/c the curls were very defined. I would texlax every couple of months, sometimes longer. The new growth blended in well so it wasn't too bad.

My signature look-

Sides gelled down-

I also rocked a variation crunch waves (sorry, these are the only digital shots I have):

Last edited:

MkupTart

Fantastic pics...I really like the curls on you. Give me some insight on what I can achieve.
What texlax products did you use?
Thanks

sunnieb

In three weeks you would have enough growth to ensure no overlap? IMHO that's a too frequent to be doing touch-ups. You should check out the relaxed threads...they have tons of useful info. @sunnieb can help you there.....hope you don't mind me calling you out sunnie!

Not at all! Thanks for the mention! The only tip I have is to please don't relax every 3 weeks. Try to go at least 7-8 weeks minimum. Maybe go to a salon at 4 weeks and get a wash/set???

Check out this thread for relaxed ladies with short cuts:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=510458

MzSwift

Fantastic pics...I really like the curls on you. Give me some insight on what I can achieve.
What texlax products did you use?
Thanks

I mainly used Motions mild relaxer but sometimes I would use Optimum mild. This is before I came to the hair boards so I used to put it on my hair like a DC. I did not comb it through and I only left it on for 7 minutes or so.

For daily washing/condish I used Pantene Hydrating Curls (I don't think they make that anymore). Now that I know better, I would alternate between protein and moisturizing condishes and I would stick with a low cone regi.

HTH! :)

Janet'

I have no advice, but I did want to :welcome: you to the forum...These ladies have some fabulous advice to give!!!

Off topic: MzSwift...you are a lovely lady!