Growing out Pixie cuts

What do you do (or have you done in the past) to keep them looking fresh?

I've been thinking of cutting off all my hair into a short halle cut and getting a relaxer. The only thing I'm worried about is growing it out. I don't want to keep the short style, my goal is long hair, but I know that in-between stage is murder.

Tips? Suggestions?

You could look at Ambitious1013's fotki or PM her. She has pics in her siggy of how short her hair was and how long it is now. She had a pixie cut with a shaved back and she is now past shoulder length. :) She is the only person I can think of right now. If you look under the member list you can check her hair out!! Hope this helps. :)

The thing that helps me is gettin a cut with the back TAPERED instead of shaved. The tapered back is much easier to deal with because as it gets longer you can roll it at night and once the top grows over it, it just a long since it had farther to go to keep up with the rest of the hair. I have pics of my hair short w/ a tapered back in my fotki (2006 album). I had grown it out quite a bit before I had to cut it again due to overprocessing.

Before and after---siggy=after after!!
resizedIMGA0232.jpg
IMGA0785.jpg

Last edited:
yea i hate the inbetween phase...that was crazy....and i had to grow the entire back out because mine was shaved in the back....it took me about a year to get some hair back their....and i didnt get as far as letting the rest of the hair grow out to cover....

but my hair goal is not trying to have long hair...im just trying to keep it tapered in the back but to have a nice thick layered bob hair cut....

but i also did the same i did the wigs for awhile....

I grew one out in hs effortlessly. But I was in the salon every week. She shaved the back of my head when she initially cut my hair but after that I never let her touch it again. In a few months it was long enough to gel up in the back so that I could wear my hair up. I would get like twists in the front or something and then a phony pony or a bun or something up so I could keep my mind off of it. I also wore it down and flipped a lot though.

I agree that the shaved back is harder to get rid of. Just get that part cut down but long enough to still be curled. When I got my hair cut short that next time she left the back like that.

I was initally thinking about getting it all cut super short with the back shaved, but after reading about y'alls experiences, maybe I'll just transition for a while and get the not-so-short short cut with the taper. That's interesting about the differences in growing out the short cuts- what do you think causes the difference? Why is the shaved back harder to grow out than the taper? Is it because it starts lookin unkempt faster? :confused:

LittleGirlBlue said:
Is it because it starts lookin unkempt faster? :confused:

Exactly. And a lot of people get the back spot permed or constantly trim it to keep it looking neat (so it doesn't grow down your neck, etc). I hate to see people with their hair done and the back looking a HAM. My mother used to go to the barber shop and get hers shaped up after she got her hair done every week. I used to try and gel mines down after she first cut it but it didn't wanna stay. Luckily the front of my hair wasn't really cut that short. She cut it around 4th of July and by October or November I was able to pull the front back so I could get an updo.

Back