New to MTG

dabashmentlady

Hello Ladies!

I am fairly new to LHCF and have been silently following a few threads. I think I am ready to start my own so here goes.

When I moved from NY to MD in Dec. 04 my hair was just past my shoulder blade. Being new to the state and not knowing the stylist I would journey home every two weeks to get my hair done. This proved to be a bit too costly so I decided to try a salon in DC. I went to a stylist referred to me by a co worker and that is where my nightmare began. Not only was I disappointed in their prices (almost two times the prices in NY) but I was disappointed with the way my hair looked and felt.

Needless to say in June of 06 my hair began to break uncontrollably. I cut it in October of 06 but the stylist (a different stylist than the one I mentioned before) said I had irrepairable damages and that I needed to cut it all off...so I did. As of Feb 07 I have hair about 1" from my scalp and it is all natural.

While short hair fits some people just fine, I am truly unhappy with the state that my hair is in:( I have not let anyone see my hair and I don't plan on it...I want my length back.

I stumbled upon LHCF when I was doing a search on OJON products and decided to join. I have been taking notes and advice and find it all to be helpful (and trust me, I need help). I don't plan on relaxing my hair until the end of the year so I am wearing wigs.

I read comments about MTG and how it helped with growth so I ordered a bottle. I received the bottle today and believe I may have oversaturated my hair (what can I say I'm anxious for growth:D ). Anyway I was hoping to get tips on how to use MTG (application and mixture tips) to receive opitmal results and ways of eliminating the pork scent.

Thank you all in advance for your help. I plan on taking pictures so everyone can watch "me" grow.

I placed my mtg in a bottle with a finer application tip and used it a couple days before my wash day. I recently added some to some grease and use it to grease my scalp.

mtg has made my hair so thick, it's hard to part! my only suggestion would be to try to keep your scalp as clean as possible, cuz mtg (and every topical growth potion) works better on a nice, clean, unclogged scalp! i tried to do the mtg thing everyday, and it did nothing really...now that i'm back to one or two times a week, and clarifying every week at that, my hair is really taking off! welcome, and good luck!

I think that MTG works best straight(not mixed with anything) I personally use it 4-5x week. When out of braids I wash my hair 2x a week and I don't use MTG on wash days. When I am in braids I wash my hair once a week.

IMO the smell doesn't last long. It's best if you apply it at night or early in the morning that way the smell will be gone by the time you go anywhere. When I used this product sparingly I didn't see any growth or thickness

Hopefully Kinikakes will come and help you out some more:cool:

Last edited:
Welcome to lhcf Dabash. :) I use MTG every other day. I CO wash 2x a week. I'm a bit allergic to sulphur, so I use petroleum jelly around my hairline before using the MTG. I don't remember who suggested that, but it has worked for me. I can't tell you if or how well it is working, because I just started using it in January, and I won't check the lenght of my hair again until the end of April. What I can say is that it is helping my temple area.

ETA:I'm one of those ladies that the smell doesn't bother me at all. I bought a color applicator bottle with a small tip from Sally's. That is what I use to apply the MTG. Some ladies use a spray bottle, but those are know for getting clogged. HHG!!

Last edited:
Welcome!

Girl, I use MTG straight, no chaser... I don't mix it up with smell goods etc. It's not that bad to me and the smell is gone by the morning when I use it.

I'd highly recommend getting an application bottle and use the MTG directly on your scalp. I put it on my scalp at night and the application bottle nozzle makes it very easy. I only apply 1-2 times a week but others do so more often.

Good luck!

Last edited:
alwayzalady22 said:
mtg has made my hair so thick, it's hard to part! my only suggestion would be to try to keep your scalp as clean as possible, cuz mtg (and every topical growth potion) works better on a nice, clean, unclogged scalp! i tried to do the mtg thing everyday, and it did nothing really...now that i'm back to one or two times a week, and clarifying every week at that, my hair is really taking off! welcome, and good luck!

I COMPLETELY agree with you alwayzalady! This is my experience and EXACTLY how i use my MTG... clarifying once a week and all :)

Hello ladies, just wanted to give you wonderful, helpful people an update. After my first usage I had a serious headache. But I can't let a little headache stop me if MTG really gives results the way most people says it does so I followed a lot of suggestions and I have resolved to this:

I brought an 8 oz. applicator bottle and in the bottle I put 4 oz of MTG, 2 oz of Jojoba oil, .5 oz peppermint oil, .5 oz tea tree oil and 1 oz of Surge 14.

The peppermint oil really helped with the scent, the mixture was not very runny and I didn't get a massive headache. Another lady on this board suggested that I put Elasta QP Mango Butter on in the morning so it will mask the scent.

If you can't tell by now I am a PJ and will try anything that will work:D .

I have read on other threads that mixing the MTG decreases its effectiveness but that is the only way that I can use it. I am going to use the mixture every other day and will keep everyone posted on my progress.

Thanks a mil!

Style Child said:
What does "mtg" stand for? I'm new too and just learning...

Hi, i'm relatively new too but MTG stands for Shapley's Mane-Tail-Groom it's a sulphur based product that folks here use to help growth (it works tried it last summer from a friend and got from barely neck to touching shoulders, unfortunately didn't know anything else about hair care and put bleach on my hair:lol: )... Check www.shapleys.com or do a search here. HTH

Update!!!

I have seen great results from the MTG but unfortunately I will not be using it after this month. :(

Besides the fact that it is extra runny my fiancee can not deal with the smell.

However, I am going to try "odorless mtg" for the month of april. If I get good results with it I am going to stick with it. If not I am coming back to MTG. But I will keep everyone posted.

Hi All,

Just wanted to give you my final MTG update.

My hair grew 1 inch in a month...at this rate I will have 11 inches of natural hair by the end of the year. However, as I said before I have switched over to Boundless Tresses. It smells much better I just hope I get the same results. I much prefer this than MTG but it is all about growth. I'll be coming back to MTG if I don't get the same results with BT.

For those that don't mind the smell or the mess try to MTG it really works.

Keep ya posted!

Back