New info on ALS and SLS!

Miss Montserrat

I found some information that may be somewhat useful for those of us who are concerned about the potentially harmful affects of these chemicals. Just thought I'd share.

Do your products contain SLS/SLES or ALS/ALES?
We typically use Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate (ALS) and Ammonium Laureth Sulfate (ALES) as the cleaning and lathering agents in our shampoos but Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) and Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLES) are also common ingredients. We're not aware of any harmful effects associated with the use of ALS/ALES or SLS/SLES in consumer products. These supposed safety concerns stem from some misquoted research and have no scientific basis.

The Cosmetic Ingredient Review (CIR), an outside panel of experts that reviews ingredient safety for the entire cosmetic industry, evaluated the safety of SLS/SLES over 15 years ago. Their assessment showed SLS/SLES is safe for use in cosmetic products. Its findings were reported in the Journal of America College of Toxicology (volume 2, issue 5, 1983). The CIR is a program of the Cosmetic Toiletry and Fragrance Association (CTFA), a US trade association. For further information, you can contact CTFA at 202-331-1770 or visit their web site at www.ctfa.org.

free2bme

They may not be health hazard per se but they are reported drying to the hair. With Sodium Laureth and TEA Laureth being the gentlest of the bunch. When last I checked dry hair never killed anybody but I don't want dry cruchy hair!!! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

LondonDiva

I use SLS and the TEA sulfates in my hair all the time. I wash my hair every 2 days. I do not believe that my hair will suffer long term damage using these, because my shower gels contain SLS in them also and I do with my skin, just as I do with my hair which is moisturise the hell out of it after I use shampoos and conditioners.

Miss Montserrat

I found this info on Pert Plus' website and I'm not sure what to make of it. I'm a CO Washer and have grown pretty accustomed to going without shampoo. I don't know what to believe anymore. /images/graemlins/confused.gif I've also been told that going without shampoo can cause a buildup os sebum that eventaully hinders healthy hair growth. I don't know how true that is either.

LondonDiva

Miss M

Don't worry chica everyone is very different believe me.
I have NO problems with shampooing my hair every 2 days, but I have all the problems in the world with conditoner washes. They just don't work for me at all.

If Co washes are for you then stick with that. Once in a while do a claryfying shampoo to remove build up and clean the hair if build up for you is a main concern.

londongirl3

I wouldn't be too concerned Miss Montserrat. I just switched to condition washing and my hair is the softest and most manageable it has been since I went natural.

If you are concerned about how clean your hair gets with condition washing.........the answer is very clean. Conditioner contains just as much surfactant as shampoo. What conditioner includes is shine agents and excludes foaming agents. SLS is a detergent but is primarily added to enhance foaming.

There are SLS free shampoos should you want to try SLS free products. Neutrogena healthy scalp is one of them but I have seen a posting here with others.

If you want to give SLS shampoos a try, go ahead. If you get weakening or breakage, stop. Ultimately you should find what works best for your hair. What works for one person is not necessarily going to work for you. There is only one way to find out.........try.

Personally I would recommend condition washing because it has been good for me. I'm sure there are people out there who have tried it and it is not good for them. I do not get any build up and my scalp does not produce dandruff like it used to which indicates to me that sebum is being produced. You do need the sebum to moisturise your hair. It is the 'natural' grease.

If you are condition washing avoid conditioners with silicones. Those are the ones that are likely to cause build up.

Here's more info that you might like to read

http://motowngrl.8m.net/no_shampoo.htm

Integrity

i have gone back to using shampoos on a regular basis, i just make sure i use a very small amount eact time thats all.

Miss Montserrat

These responses pretty much clear it up for me. Thanks for the site londongirl3. I'm going to stick with what works which is an occasional clarifying shampoo with weekly CO washes. How much harm can that possibly do? Not much!

Your responses are greatly appreciated ladies. /images/graemlins/smile.gif /images/graemlins/smile.gif /images/graemlins/smile.gif