What's the deal with SLS and ALS?

Courtney

What\'s the deal with SLS and ALS?

I was reading somethings about products on a natural hair site (nappyturality.com or nappyhair.com, it all begins to blur when your hair obsessed, lol) and it was talking about Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate and Sodium Lauryl Sulfate being bad (well not "bad" but not necessarily great) for the hair. I was at CVS for my 3rd impulse hair product shopping that week (I'm sorry, I am a MAJOR PJ, it's beginning to get obscene) looking for "better" (my excuse) products for transitioning hair and I came across the Suave Biobasics which rivals Biolage, and it was only $1.99. Even if I"m only shopping for conditioner, I like to by hair products in sets, so I planned to get the shampoo, too. As I was in the aisle wondering how suave could possibly be JUST as good as expensive brands and sell for only two bucks? So I picked up the Biolage bottle and began comparing ingredients with the Suave bottles. Both bottle had the same core ingredients, but I noticed Biolage had more oils and extracts towards the top of the list and it also had Sodium Lauryl Sulfate opposed to Suave's Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate. I got a little frustrated, and I came up with the hypothesis that maybe Suave products virtually do the same things as the expensive brand by substituting cheaper (and maybe more harsh) ingredients that could maybe damage your hair over time? Anybody know the deal with those two ingradients since they're the first two on almost every shampoo bottle? I just didn't feel comfortable putting ammonium on my hair (ammonium is in draino, paint remover and bleach, too). I don't know what really sodium does or what other household items it's associated with but I ended up getting the V05 clarifying 'poo and some queen helene with ginseng. The V05 had Sodium Lauryl Sulfate instead and it smelled good (lol).
Partial Suave Ingredient List:
Water(agua), Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate, Ammonium Laureth Sulfate, Ammonium Chloride.......

If anybody has any feed back or has some background in chemistry, letta sista know! I'd appreciate spending the $1.99 as opposed to $11.99 if it's a wise thing to do. Thanks ladies!!!!!

3b/4a transitioning since around Christmas
4 inches past collar bone
Current Style: "Wet and Wavy/Curly" scrunch thing goin' on

Courtney

Re: What\'s the deal with SLS and ALS?

This is the site I read all that stuff on the ingredients at...

My only complaint about this list is the don't explain that everything is in moderation. They make som of the things on this list seem like if your body comes in contact with it in anyway, you'll ruin yourself. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure these ingredients aren't the best for the hair, but I didn't appreciate the "it's-the-end-of-the-world-and-your-hair-if-you-use-products-with-these-ingredients" tone of the article...