Neutralizing Shampoo...

dreamgurl

When washing out your relaxers...do you always use a neutralizing shampoo?

The reason I asked is because I heard a stylist say that it was a gimmick and that any 'ol shampoo would do the trick. Also she said that once the water hits the scalp the relaxer stops activating.

I thought this was interesting because the ladies who come out of her chair have some long, thick and bouncy hair. So maybe using a neutralizing shampoo is really a gimmick afterall if you properly rinse and shampoo thoroughly with just an ordinary shampoo.

What do you ladies think? TIA

AngelicRose07

back from years of hiatus
i guess the only way to really tell would be to thouroughly rinse your hair. then go back and neutralize(within a 5 min span of time---just in case) and see if the shampoo turns pink. if it doesnt..then that means the chemical has been rinsed away...and if it turns pink, i suggest you bring some neutralizer to the salon with you when you go to get touchups and make her use it.

my take on it anyway..but i would NEVER not neutralize

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
when i relaxed regularly, i always used a neutralizing shamoo (Motions) after i just received a touch-up. relaxers raise the ph level of your hair. neutralizing shampoos help bring you hair back down to normal ph level. ;)